Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimS
    • Oct 2005

Serious merge user problem

I recently imported from UBB6.7 to vB 3.54 - I've been cleaning up here and there, but otherwise it's been running well.

One thing I've been using is "merge user" - some people had two memberships, so I'd merge them, it was wonderful.

Except today, I noticed old threads with usernames that were users that had changed usernames long ago on UBB - for example let's say "JOHN SMITH" changed his name in UBB to "John Smith". vBulletin didn't recognize JOHN SMITH during the import - no big deal, it did import John Smith correctly.

Today I just tried to merge JOHN SMITH with John Smith - to clean up all the old threads and the warning box that came up said merging JOHN SMITH with John Smith, then JOHN SMITH will be deleted. Fine, that's what I wanted.

Except when it was done, it deleted BOTH - now there's no more John Smith or JOHN SMITH!

This is a catastrophe, John Smith is a forum leader and a great contributor to our site - how can I get John Smith back? His posts are still showing up, except his username shows up greyed out, zero post, no location info - because he was removed as a user!

How can I get all his info back? I have a daily backup - I would prefer not to have to restore everything, the backup is from last night and there's lots of new posts, members, and info from today.

Please help - this is a real catastrophe - I read the warning carefully, it said exactly what I wanted to do - merge JOHN SMITH with John Smith and then delete JOHN SMITH - except it DID NOT DO THAT.
    Striped Bass Fishing - Fishing Forums
  • Jerry
    • Dec 2002
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by TimS
    I recently imported from UBB6.7 to vB 3.54 - I've been cleaning up here and there, but otherwise it's been running well.

One thing I've been using is "merge user" - some people had two memberships, so I'd merge them, it was wonderful.
    Via the admincp ?

Except today, I noticed old threads with usernames that were users that had changed usernames long ago on UBB - for example let's say "JOHN SMITH" changed his name in UBB to "John Smith". vBulletin didn't recognize JOHN SMITH during the import - no big deal, it did import John Smith correctly.
    ImpEx merges on email, not username.

Today I just tried to merge JOHN SMITH with John Smith - to clean up all the old threads and the warning box that came up said merging JOHN SMITH with John Smith, then JOHN SMITH will be deleted. Fine, that's what I wanted.

Except when it was done, it deleted BOTH - now there's no more John Smith or JOHN SMITH!
    Using the admincp user merge ?

This is a catastrophe, John Smith is a forum leader and a great contributor to our site - how can I get John Smith back? His posts are still showing up, except his username shows up greyed out, zero post, no location info - because he was removed as a user!

How can I get all his info back? I have a daily backup - I would prefer not to have to restore everything, the backup is from last night and there's lots of new posts, members, and info from today.

Please help - this is a real catastrophe - I read the warning carefully, it said exactly what I wanted to do - merge JOHN SMITH with John Smith and then delete JOHN SMITH - except it DID NOT DO THAT.
    Well if they are deleted (which the merge can't do) you are going to have to use a back up.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• TimS
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jerry
      Via the admincp ?
      Yes, via admincp - "merge user"

Using the admincp user merge ? yes

Well if they are deleted (which the merge can't do) you are going to have to use a back up.
      Jerry, the user merge says it will delete the source user when you do a merge. I hope it cannot delete the user - but then how would I restore the user...if it's not deleted, why are they not listed in the users when I search (admincp)? I go to a recent post of "John Smith" (the destination user in the merge) and it shows no user info as if the user does not exist.

This wasn't a "merge" through Impex, I've been done with Impex, it was through the admincp. Any ideas?

Comment

• TimS
        • Oct 2005

No one? At the very least can I get an official explanation as to why the program did not function as it warned me it would? I very careful read the warning - it clearly stated exactly what I wanted it to do - and it did something completely different.

There are now 13,000 posts from this member that are not associated with any member because he no longer exists - even though the warning message was quite clear as to how it was going to delete "JOHN SMITH" and not "John Smith". How can I associate those posts with this member if I have to add him manually?

This is a major, major flaw - the warning was very clear - why offer such a powerful feature if it makes such huge mistakes? Needless to say, I am very unhappy.

TimS

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Unless Jerry comes along with a better idea, all I can suggest is to clear out the data and redo the import.

Also I've been doing this for a long time any I've never seen the Merge function remove both users. Vert strange.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...