X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BfB
    • Jul 2001

Attachment Issue

I'm running 3.5.0 version.

What would cause this below with the attachments? What is happening is that somehow it's not placing the attachment in the properly location. If you go to "Edit" on the customer's post it will show something like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rwtd_attachment_issue.gif
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	3699819 (I purposely left off the fwd slash)

I've seen this 2 or 3 times now out of several thousand attachments on my board. It only recently started doing this. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

I appreciate any help in advance.

Sincerely,

James
    Last edited by BfB; Fri 17 Mar '06, 10:13pm.
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

As of 3.5 you can place your attachments wherever you like, using [attach]6444[/attach] wher it should display. I assume your users are using this functionality
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• BfB
      • Jul 2001

Okay, cool, but how do you do it? Meaning, I don't see how to upload anything unless you go to Manage Attachments? Would someone mind explaining to me the steps to replicate this, please?

How do I disable this ability, as well?

Thank you!

Comment

• BfB
        • Jul 2001

Okay, I managed to do the attachment by editing my post above, and having to right click on the attachment to figure out what the attachment id was.

However, this seems to not be a very user friendly vB code, meaning you have to edit your post once you make it just to get this to happen, correct? Or is there a way to do it on the initial post?

Anyway, the customer states he don't know how it happened, and that he used the Manage Attachments method as always. I tend to believe there may be a possible "bug" in the system causing it to randomly happen without the user meaning for it to. Possible?

Also, is there anyway to disable this feature?

Comment

• Andy
          • Jan 2002
          • 4.1.x

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: doc est gdb gif jpg mov mp3 mpg pdf png wav wmv.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Comment

• BfB
            • Jul 2001

Andy,

Thanks for your reply. However, you're mistaking what I'm asking. I understand completely how to attach files (I've been using forum software for years), and my forums have allowed this feature ever since it has been available. I'm actually wanting to know info on the new tag feature, as detailed out in my posts above.

Thanks!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

I assume you are still asking how to disable this, and the answer is that there is no on/off swtich you can usee. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BfB
                • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                I assume you are still asking how to disable this, and the answer is that there is no on/off swtich you can usee. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't. Curious, but where is the "example usage" in the info link above?

It also still does not tell me how my customer managed to do that on my site in his first post of the entire thread. It was his first ever post on the site, and it was the starter post of a thread. You will see there isn't any standard attachment at the bottom, but rather the [ATTACH] tag at the top. I asked the customer how he did it, and he told me he didn't know at all, and that he doesn't even know what [ATTACH] tag is. He also said that he's very new to forums, and that he would have never know to hover over the attachment link to find the attachmentid of the file, all even while not knowing what the [ATTACH] tag is or does. The other customer who did the same thing in another thread said he's not sure how or why it appeared like it did on his as well.

So, how did they get the file from their computer to be on that thread unless they actually used "Manage Attachments"? And being it's the first post of the thread, why would they go back and edit the thread just to put the file's attachmentid within the [ATTACH] tag, especially when they didn't even know anything about the new tag. Furthermore, there isn't any "Edited by" notification at the bottom of his post, which automatically displays on my site the minute they edit their thread. Actually, this particular group of users aren't able to edit their posts at all, which makes it even more intriguing.

Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not a newb to vB software, and have used it for years. I also know how to figure things out on my own, and have done many hacks to my own board. I was basically asking the questions in my previous posts about how the feature works because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something very obvious or simple.

If you ask me it's a random bug doing this automatically, and I would hope that someone would see what I'm trying to point out.

Thanks!
                Last edited by BfB; Sun 19 Mar '06, 10:32am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

No sorry, I don't quite follow what you are trying to say. However if you think you've found a bug, please report this in the 3.5 Bug Tracker here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BfB
                    • Jul 2001

Steve,

My apologies that you're not understanding what I'm stating. Here, I'll try again:

#1: The customer makes his first ever post on my support site, so he creates a new thread to do such. In it he is required to attach his backup file from his vehicle's pcm (powertrain control module). This allows me to custom calibrate it for him for his vehicle's given set of modifications.

#2: As we know, to attach a file you have to go to "Manage Attachments", click "Browse", and find the file on your PC. You then hit "Upload" and the software will place it onto the thread/post.

The customer did just this.

#3: Instead of his file appearing at the bottom of the thread, it instead appeared in a hyperlink via the new [ATTACH] tag that vB 3.5 offers. You can see what I'm describing in my screenshot that I attached in my post above, as well as here Click image for larger version

Name:	rwtd_attachment_issue.gif
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	3699819 (coincidentally in the same format I'm discussing).

It is my understanding that in order to use the [ATTACH] tag, the file must already be on the server where the vB is hosted, and must have been put there via the "Manage Attachments" method (correct?). Since this was his first ever post (which happened to be a thread he started), then the file he attached was never there before doing such.

Furthermore, to move the file link from the bottom, the customer would have to hover over the attached file to get the attachmentid in the url, go back and edit his thread starter post, then use the [ATTACH] tag to place the attachmentid of the file within the attach tag of wherever placement in the post he chose. However, the customer did *not* edit his post, and in actuality my users are not allowed to edit their posts. You can even see in his post within the picture I have attached that his post was not edited.

So, my question is, how did this happen? Without actually "uploading" his backup file to the post via the "Manage Attachments" method, then a file from his computer cannot just magically appear within the [ATTACH] tag.

Do you understand now?

If you do, please let me know, and also please let me know if I should report this as a bug. My site has a very heavy volume of file uploading on a daily basis, and this has happened 2 to 3 times since upgraded to 3.5.0 months back.

Thanks!
                    Last edited by BfB; Sun 19 Mar '06, 1:48pm.

Comment

• Andy
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by BfB
                      Do you understand now?
                      Yes I followed that.

What your member did was upload the file then clicked on the paperclip icon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	3668202

Then clicked on the attached file, this inserts the [ attach]1234[/attach]

This is a very powerful feature that makes posts so much better, are you sure you want to remove this feature?

Comment

• BfB
                        • Jul 2001

Perfect, that's what I needed to know! So it's definitely not a bug, and an easy thing to replicate now.

I'll start using the advanced toolbar now in the future. I believe I had my personal one disabled.

Thank you
                        Last edited by BfB; Sun 19 Mar '06, 9:25pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...