Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trana
    • Apr 2005

Problem with avatar images after upgrade

I am testing out 3.5 on my board and am having a strange problem.

After the upgrade, my avatar images look very wierd.

The image file must be corrupt or something because they are blocky or cut off on the bottom. I have attached an image as an example.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. This looks like the same problem.

If so, the images cannot be fixed. To fix this problem, you need run these queries on the db prior to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

Then do the restore and upgrade again.

We found that a character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumbl
    ob fixes the problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• trana
      • Apr 2005

Thanks for the help!

Are there any known issues with running this ALTER on a live board? I do have a backup.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

This depends. If this is 3.5.x, then these queries have already been run. You would actually need to run these queries on the database from before this upgrade, then redo the upgrade.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• trana
          • Apr 2005

OK, I ran this query on the database in 3.0.7, upgraded to 3.5.1, and some of the images still look messed up.

Is there a way for me to check if my database is storing the images exactly as VB recommends before making the upgrade to 3.5.1? I do not want to screw this up and force my users to update their avatars.

Thanks!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

If you ran those queries in post #2, then any corrupted avatars are due to a different problem. Unfortunately I don't know what else would cause this.

Also this is only an issue if you upgrade a database that has been backed with mysqldump, then restored.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...