Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJR512
    • Dec 2000

Spoiler tag: Hide text from people that don't want to see it

I've created a new tag...actually, I'm sure somebody has done it before, I just couldn't find it. The purpose of this tag is to hide text by making the background color behind the text and the actual text color the same color. The reason to do this is if someone wants to post some info that maybe everyone doesn't want to see...for example, on my board I have an Entertainment forum and people talk about movies. Sometimes they talk about plot points with people that have already seen the movie, but other people that haven't seen the movie yet might stumble across it and before they realize what they're reading, it's too late. Now by changing the background color under the text, it's clear to everyone that there is actually text there, so you're not hiding the fact that there is text there, just hiding what it says. In order to actually read it, the user has to highlite the text, changing it to a contrasting color. This requires a deliberate effort to read the text.

You can see an example here: http://www.jjr512.com/forums/showthr...threadid=22708 Note that there are three words: Test Test Test. The middle Test is using this tag. It appears as a black block. You can read it by highliting it.

All you have to do to implement this is edit the headinclude template, and create a custom vB Code tag.

First, edit the headinclude template. Somewhere in the styles section, add this:
    Code:
    .spoiler    {color: black; background: black}
    Now create a custom vB tag. For vB Code tag, I used spoiler. For vB Code replacement, I used:
    Code:
    <font class=spoiler>{param}</font>
    For vB Code example, I used [spoiler]Spoiler text[/spoiler]. For vB Code explanation, I used
    The [spoiler] tag allows you to place text in your message that is unreadable, unless someone highlites it. This makes viewing the text a deliberate effort. This is for posting messages about movies or other things where you might not wish to give away plot points to those that haven't seen it yet.
    And Use parameter should be set to no.
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!
  • JJR512
    • Dec 2000

I forgot to mention something. This is probably obvious, but just in case...

You don't have to use black as your text and background color if that does not fit the style of your site. You can use any color, by name if HTML recognizes the name, or by #xxxxxx code. The key, of course, is that both colors must be the same!

Here is a link to the thread on my site where I explained it to my users. If you weren't clear on the point of this tag, this should help, and give you an idea how to explain it to your own users.

-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• Chen
      • Jun 2001

I know it's pretty later, but I just got to this thread after seeing one of tube's hack threads, and I must say that:

I love this!
      Chen Avinadav
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• PK-Fortis
        • Sep 2001

It's reminiscent of SineSwiper's now disconinued RPGBoard, which I used to use.

I love it.

Comment

• Michael2
          • Oct 2001
          • 3.8.x

Believe it or not I'm having trouble with this one. I've tried both...

}
          .spoiler {color: [backcolor]; background: black} and

}
          .spoiler {color: black; background: black}

When I highlight it just goes all white, no text shows. But, if I change one to white and one to black or vice versa I can see the text is there.

I'm using Opera 6, not sure if that matters, doesn't seem like it should. I'll try it in IE. Ok, actually it works in IE so I guess this is probably just something I'll have to live with. If you know of something I can change to make it work in Opera, please let me know. Thanks!
          Last edited by Michael2; Fri 14 Dec '01, 3:53am.
          HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
          Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
          iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
          VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• JJR512
            • Dec 2000

I don't personally know enough about Opera to know what the problem is, but if anybody else can help, by all means, let us know!
            -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

• Sadie Frost
              • Dec 2001
              • 5.0.X

I'm sorry I can't help with your problem

This is probably obvious, but I used this as my code replacement:

<font class=spoiler><smallfont><font color=white>Spoiler - Highlight to view:</color></smallfont>{param}</font>

That way, it gives direction about what to do for any members who might not know what the black box is.

Comment

• X-Fan
                • Jan 2002

Re: Spoiler tag: Hide text from people that don't want to see it

Originally posted by JJR512
                The purpose of this tag is to hide text by making the background color behind the text and the actual text color the same color.
                Perfect for my board, thanks JJ!
                Eric J. Moreels
                ComiX-Fan Owner/Administrator
                e-mail: [email protected]
                Web: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/

Comment

• Gutspiller
                  • Aug 2001

How would I make a vb tag that would allow my users to be able to select a background text color where they can ust the normal font color with this background vb code also so they can set the background color?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

• MsLedd
                    • Jan 2002

Thought I'd share my own custom spoiler codes here too

I modified the $bbcode template to include the codes and their explanations, see them here.

I originally created these custom codes when our boards were running UBB, which involved hacking the perl scripts (and a lot of trial & error). vB sure makes the process easier!

The text color is slightly different than the background color (if you look carefully you can in fact read it without highlighting). The reason for this is compatability with Opera browsers, when the background and font colors were the same, Opera users were unable to properly view the spoiler text.

I also added the [spoiler] code to the 'insta-vb-code-buttons' for easy access when posting (the spoilers get used a *lot* on our boards). This involved template editing ($vbcode_buttons), as well as editing the vbcode_language.js file.

The vB Code replacements for our spoiler codes are:
                    Code:
                    <blockquote><smallfont>spoiler:</smallfont><div style="background-color:#000080"><font color="#202080">{param}</font></div></blockquote>
                    and
                    Code:
                    <span style="background-color:#000080"><font color="#202080">{param}</span></font>
                    Enjoy!

Comment

• BustaCap
                      • Jan 2002

MsLedd, I'd like to give your spoiler code a shot but I'm not sure what templates I need to edit. Where exactly would I need to add your code? What editing of vbcode_language.js did you do?

Thanks,

Dave
                      Golden Age Mysteries Forum
                      - for fans of mysteries in the classic tradition.

Comment

• MsLedd
                        • Jan 2002

Hi Dave,

Here's my configuration, minus the adding of the codes to the "vB codes Explained" page, which is not necessary.

Custom vB Codes (from Admin Control Panel):

vB Code replacement:
                        Code:
                        <blockquote><smallfont>spoiler:</smallfont><div style="background-color:#000080"><font color="#202080">{param}</font></div></blockquote>
                        vB Code example:
                        [spoiler]The Butler did it[/spoiler]

vB Code explanation:
                        To mask "spoiler-ish" text, preventing accidental viewing but still making it available to those who do wish to read it by highlighting (click-dragging with the mouse) the spoiler text.

Use {option} ?
                        No

vB Code replacement:
                        Code:
                        <span style="background-color:#000080"><font color="#202080">{param}</span></font>
                        vB Code example:
                        [spoil]Darth Vader[/spoil] is Luke Skywalker's father

vB Code explanation:
                        Alternate spoiler tag - To mask "spoiler-ish" text, preventing accidental viewing but still making it available to those who do wish to read it by highlighting (click-dragging with the mouse) the spoiler text.

Use {option} ?
                        No

Edit Template: vbcode_buttons

Find this line:
                        Code:
                        <input type="button" class="bginput" value="Quote" title="Insert Quote" onclick="vbcode(this.form,'QUOTE','')" onmouseover="stat('quote')">
                        Which is followed by a <br>

Add this line just before the <br>
                        Code:
                        <input type="button" class="bginput" value="Spoiler" title="Insert Spoiler Text" onclick="vbcode(this.form,'SPOILER','')" onmouseover="stat('spoiler')">
                        annd finally, my vbcode_language.js file is attached.

Enjoy!

Comment

• BustaCap
                          • Jan 2002

Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight.

Dave
                          Golden Age Mysteries Forum
                          - for fans of mysteries in the classic tradition.

Comment

• Omega One
                            • Apr 2003

How could one add the spoiler button to the Quick Reply hack?

I've been trying but keep getting a JavaScript error

Comment

• BillAlpha
                              • May 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Hi MsLedd,

I don't suppose you still have the amended "vbcode_language.js" file handy?

Cheers,

Bill

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...