Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Vanilla - "a new kind of web forum"

You have to give them that: Wonderful xhtml+css setup. Wish Jelsoft would decide to go tableless. Yes, it's possible to change the skin, but that would require to change every single bit which would be quite a pita.
  • someuser190826
    • Oct 2002
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by AlexanderT
    http://getvanilla.com/

You have to give them that: Wonderful xhtml+css setup. Wish Jelsoft would decide to go tableless. Yes, it's possible to change the skin, but that would require to change every single bit which would be quite a pita.
    That does seem very FRESH. I am actually going to check it out.

Comment

• MrNase
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.8.x

And I started the German translation some days ago
      That's the end of that!

Comment

• someuser190826
        • Oct 2002
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MrNase
        And I started the German translation some days ago
        For Vanilla?

Comment

• conqsoft
          • Jul 2003
          • 3.6.x

vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• MrNase
            • Jun 2003
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Arunan
            For Vanilla?

That's right
            That's the end of that!

Comment

• conqsoft
              • Jul 2003
              • 3.6.x

Looks like crap. But, of course, that's my opinion. Way too VANILLA for my taste.
              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

Have you seen how basic the design is? That is why it's xhtml/css..
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• DirectPixel
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 3.5.x

Yep, I noticed this about a week ago. I'm loving how they're going about doing this. They're putting emphasis on discussions, rather than emphasizing categories and topics.

Also, I'm really liking they way they have everything set up--the software makes a forum seem like one giant blog, with everyone being commentators.

I'm really digging this script. It's GPL. It's standards-compliant. It's clean and to-the-point.

It's perfect for smaller communities that need a cheap and effective discussion board solution.
                  :)

Comment

• someuser190826
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                    Yep, I noticed this about a week ago. I'm loving how they're going about doing this. They're putting emphasis on discussions, rather than emphasizing categories and topics.

Also, I'm really liking they way they have everything set up--the software makes a forum seem like one giant blog, with everyone being commentators.

I'm really digging this script. It's GPL. It's standards-compliant. It's clean and to-the-point.

It's perfect for smaller communities that need a cheap and effective discussion board solution.
                    It is categorized as well, but you have different view options.

Comment

• DirectPixel
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Arunan
                      It is categorized as well, but you have different view options.
                      Yeah, I noticed that. However, they are putting more focus on individual threads than entire categories.

For example, if you visit a vBulletin-powered forum, you'll be spending most of your time browsing threads and occasionally viewing a few particular threads. Vanilla shifts that and puts more emphasis on individual threads than an entire category.
                      :)

Comment

• someuser190826
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                        Yeah, I noticed that. However, they are putting more focus on individual threads than entire categories.

For example, if you visit a vBulletin-powered forum, you'll be spending most of your time browsing threads and occasionally viewing a few particular threads. Vanilla shifts that and puts more emphasis on individual threads than an entire category.
                        Yea, like I said before...it is FRESH in regards to its approach to the community system.

Comment

• MGM
                          • Aug 2002
                          • 3.6.x

I dont like it, way too simple imo. Wheres the room for expanded features and more complex stuff?

Oh, and their site is too slow

MGM out

Comment

• MrNase
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MGM
                            I dont like it, way too simple imo. Wheres the room for expanded features and more complex stuff?

Oh, and their site is too slow

MGM out
                            It has extensions..

And their site is slow because http://www.kottke.org/ linked to it (and vBulletin.com )
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

• someuser190826
                              • Oct 2002
                              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MrNase
                              It has extensions..

And their site is slow because http://www.kottke.org/ linked to it (and vBulletin.com )
                              Can you give me a sample listing of some extensions they have? can't seem to find it on their forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...