Google Web Accelerator = vB security breach?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agiacosa
    • Dec 2004

Google Web Accelerator = vB security breach?

Hi,

I read this. It is on Google's Web Accelerator. I think it says that our private forums are no longer secure?

Can someone clear this up?

Thanks.
  • Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

That would be Google being in the wrong then most likely. We send an HTTP header that specifically says not to allow public/shared caches to cache the page:

Maybe it's only an HTTP 1.0 cache...

Comment

• tamarian
      • Oct 2000
      • 1.1.x

This did happen a while back on vB 2.x with some of those cache proxy/accelerators.

I think it was resolved in vB 3.x (and maybe newer vB 2.x), but I'll let more knowledgable devs confirm/correct.
      vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

vB3 also has an option to add no-cache headers. For the really paranoid

Comment

• MrNase
          • Jun 2003
          • 3.8.x

There are some more issues with the Web Accelerator as pointed out here:

I uninstalled it after I figured out it acts like a proxy server which means to me I can't use my normal proxy server anymore. It could be my dsl connection but the speed dropps drastically when this Google software is running
          That's the end of that!

Comment

• agiacosa
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Floris
            vB3 also has an option to add no-cache headers. For the really paranoid
            Floris,

What is the down side to this?

Comment

• MrNase
              • Jun 2003
              • 3.8.x

Your users/visitors produce more traffic since the files (images, js-files) aren't cached and need to be reloaded every single time they reload one of your sites
              That's the end of that!

Comment

• Bane
                • Jul 2000

As I noted here I blocked the service myself as I don't have the pragma headers set up correctly and I honestly don't want google hosting my site anyway since I'm rather addicted to looking over logs and such and I should imagine this would play havoc with traffic analysis.

As a note the only people who have reported problems with GWA using vb are still on vb2. vb3 forums don't appear to be affected at all. Should you want to block the service there are simple instructions for doing so here for those running apache servers.

Comment

• Lumina
                  • Sep 2002
                  • 3.5.x

I got report that on some forums (I do not know if it is vbulletin), GWA would follow links that delete your messages!
                  Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
                  Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
                  Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...