X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numberone
    • Feb 2005

vBulletin v.s. Invision Power Board

I am considering buying either vBulletin or InvisionPowerBoard. Can anyone give me their opinion? Differences in features, performance, companies?

Thank you
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I can tell you about vBulletin and its features and preformance as well as about the company, but I'd be best off letting the rest of the members who have switched recently about their expirences in comparision, instead of my own

About Us: http://www.vbulletin.com/about.php (also talks about the preformance)
    Features: http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php
    Support: Why you get support from me and Steve, and the rest of the staff

vBulletin has been around for 5 years and lead the market almost since it started back in 2000

Comment

• Vtec44
      • Jan 2005
      • 3.7.x

I always use http://forums.offtopic.com/ as an example of VB reliability and performance. If you take a look at the number of threads, posts, and currently active members on that board, you'll see why. BTW, I think Jelsoft should officially sponsor them or something LOL
      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• fpouk
        • Oct 2004
        • 3.6.x

I made the jump from Invision to VBulletin and im glad that i did..
        Dont get me wrong invision was a great product and all but VB is hands down the better product. I left Invisionboard when they went from Free to Pay.. I figured that if i was gonna have to invest in software.. i should get the best and VB is the best.

Comment

• Unmutual
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.6.x

Obviously you'll get a thumbs up for vB from here, the same as you'll get a thumbs up for IPB on their forum.
          The acid test is to speak to people who've used both. In my case I've just left IPB after 3 years and switched to vB.
          And I've no doubt that I made the right decision AFAIC.
          Homes-Spain

Comment

• _| () R | Z
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vtec44
            BTW, I think Jelsoft should officially sponsor them or something LOL
            well they are supplying fazle with a free server configuration & advise by eva2000 in the server config forum
            Originally Posted by Zachery
            John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
            We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• Gri
              • Feb 2004

I set up ipb, just once. VB is the best bb software you can buy, imho.

Comment

• Bunny
                • Nov 2004

One of the features that attracts me here is the fonts. IPB, you cant add fonts. with vBulletin, you can add any font thats on the internet. (I found this out in the Admin demo. You should try it. then try IPB's admin demo)

Comment

• Gri
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Bunny
                  One of the features that attracts me here is the fonts. IPB, you cant add fonts. with vBulletin, you can add any font thats on the internet. (I found this out in the Admin demo. You should try it. then try IPB's admin demo)
                  Before making your decision, I want to ask something about "fonts". Is it the most important factor for your visitors when signing up or not?

Comment

• numberone
                    • Feb 2005

No, fonts would be of very minor importance

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Ultimately numberone, it's your decision and choice. If you think IPB is better for your site, feel free to use IPB. If you think vBulletin is better for your site, feel free to use vBulletin.

What works best for you is the biggest factor you only really need to consider.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
                        • Dec 2003
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        Ultimately numberone, it's your decision and choice. If you think IPB is better for your site, feel free to use IPB. If you think vBulletin is better for your site, feel free to use vBulletin.

What works best for you is the biggest factor you only really need to consider.
                        very nice comments

Regards,
                        TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• adrianchew
                          • Feb 2001

An abridged history of board software - first there was Infopop's UBB that got really popular... but they had problems scaling it (performance issues) because back then it was PERL and text file data storage.

vBulletin came out later, ran on PHP and MySQL... blew UBB out of the water basically, and became the message board of choice.

Invision's board is a new development I believe of Ikonboard. There was some shakeup at the Ikonboard company (Ikonboard was given away free btw) and some of the developers left. I know Ikonboard itself back then was famous for having really messy coding standards and such... so I'm not sure how clean Invision's code is like.

Now Ikonboard and a whole bunch of others all basically started mirroring vBulletin in functionality when they first came out... these are all children or vBulletin imitations.

Development-wise, I'd say vBulletin is like RedHat Enterprise and Invision is like Fedora Core... vBulletin's progress at this point (new features and functionality) is slower since its a lot more mature.
                          vB 3.6.4 (No hacks), RedHat Enterprise 3 (+hotfixes), Lighttpd 1.4.13, PHP 5.2.1 (FastCGI, gzip), MySQL 4.1.21, P4 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE disk

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

From the 30+ Bulletin Board Software Systems listed here:

nearly 642 out of 1084 are running vBulletin.

Comment

• numberone
                              • Feb 2005

ManagerJosh, in the end do you think both are about the same and there really isn't that big of a difference between vBulletin and InvisionPower. Both are top notch and both appear to have relatively the same functionality and user friendliness.
                              Last edited by numberone; Thu 17 Feb '05, 10:41am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...