Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deca1
    • Nov 2004

Server load - is this true?

As some of you know I'm strongly considering purchasing a license for this great product. I saw the italicised text below today though. Is it true or just a false rumour?

vBulletin is a piece of forum software (v. 2.2.9). It's run at somethingawful.com. Recently, the load average on the servers was stupidly high, and they just found the cause of it.

vBulletin uses emoticon codes like :hello: :google: (Many user defined ones). Somethingawful has around 237 smileys.

How they are replaced for the final output is for each smiley, running a search and replace on the posts. They would get processed over 200 times before displaying each post on a page.
  • Freddie Bingham
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • May 2000
    • 1.1.x

v2.2.9 is a very old version of vBulletin and 237 smilies is an excessive amount. Yes, in 2.2.9 smilies would be replaced on every page. Using v3, there is an option to cache posts (for a defined timespan), which does the replacement for smilies only once.

Comment

• deca1
      • Nov 2004

Thank you for the quick reply! I agree it's a little excessive.

I'm glad of the cache option too (although I can only see myself using a sensible amount of smilies!).
      Last edited by deca1; Fri 14 Jan '05, 11:14am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...