X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcallan
    • Aug 2004

adsense improvement tips please

Hi everyone,
    Well just patched my board there, a 'real life' friend told me that one of his college friends had his board wiped from some script which used special strings during the registration process to create an admin account. Scary stuff.

Anyway in relation to this post, I wonder if it's possible for people to check out my implementation of adsense on my boards - http://www.akamarketing.com/webmaster-forums. At the moment they are performing very badly with CTR generally below the half percent mark (emphasis on the generally)

I did have them at the side in a skyscaper and a few months ago I had them at the top of the boards, but i thought the neat colour integration would be wonders for CTR. Any ideas for adsense on my forums?. What works for you guys. Thanks for any replies.
  • hankster
    • Feb 2002

I've had best results by putting them in the Archive. Forums generally are very bad performers when it comes to click rates and that is the reason many banner services will not approve forums for banners. .5% to 1% are about normal.

Comment

• MrNase
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.8.x

Does the Archive perform better?

I rarely see users in the Archive, most of them click the ads displayed above the post
      That's the end of that!

Comment

• dcallan
        • Aug 2004

I recently tried inline ads on my main site (standard content pages) and my CTR has tripled mostly, so i'm wondering what the equivalent of inline format for forums is, fake post bit. What did you guys think my implementation anyhow.

Comment

• noppid
          • May 2003

Fake post is not allowed with google, however you can slip in a sponsored ads box under the first post or where ever ya want. The fake post is probably frowned upon bacause the post is dated IMO.

Cool forums BTW.
          Computer Help Forum
          An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

• dcallan
            • Aug 2004

well a sponsered ads box under the first post then, I guess this will have pretty decent ctr. One that strikes me about forums and adsense is that the cost per click is really low, never mind about poor ctr, but when the ads are clicked on hardly any money is made.

cool forums - thanks. I see you registered.

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

For those that don't know :

CTR = (Click Through Rate) Advertising term indicating the percentage of viewers who click on a banner advertisement and follow the link.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• mheinemann
                • Oct 2002

One thing I noticed is that the ads are "below the fold". What you might want to do is replace the skyscrapper you have on the left with the Google AdSense skyscrapper.

Right now I'm experiancing a 2.5-3% CTR, mainly because of one thread.
                Hello :)

Comment

• hankster
                  • Feb 2002

My Archive normally has a 4X better CTR then the regular forums.

Comment

• dcallan
                    • Aug 2004

Hi guys, yes I had them to the side, actually to the right for a couple of months, nothing much worth talking about and then to the left for a while. I think I will just see how it goes with the current one, but then I might move to above the fold leaderboard.

Comment

• Icheb
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by noppid
                      Fake post is not allowed with google, however you can slip in a sponsored ads box under the first post or where ever ya want. The fake post is probably frowned upon bacause the post is dated IMO.

Cool forums BTW.
                      I'd like to see that part in Google's TOS.

Comment

• joeychgo
                        • Mar 2004

Maybe this article will help you.

Making the most of Google Adsense

-
                        Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                        Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Craigr
                          • Aug 2002
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MrNase
                          Does the Archive perform better?

I rarely see users in the Archive, most of them click the ads displayed above the post
                          Me too, i added ads to the archive, but no-one hardly looks there. Luckily most of my forum threads are spidered anyway.

Some nice articles at The Admin Forums too regarding ad placement. I had a 468x60 banner on my site and changed it to the 728x90 one and it made a nice increase in the CTR.
                          Special Forces - Roll Of Honour - http://www.specialforcesroh.com

Comment

• TitanJeff
                            • May 2002

How does one ad AdSense to the archives? It sounds like it can't hurt. Thanks!

Comment

• joeychgo
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TitanJeff
                              How does one ad AdSense to the archives? It sounds like it can't hurt. Thanks!

Think about it this way - It wont cost you anything to put it there - so why wouldnt you?

Open forums/archive/index.php

Look for </head><body> and place your adsense code below it - I would suggest doing a medium box.

-
                              Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                              Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...