vBulletin Hosting (Sorry, now out-of-business)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Schreiber
    • Jun 2000
    • 4.0.x

vBulletin Hosting (Sorry, now out-of-business)

We have partnered with Perfect Presence Inc, a web hosting company with over 4 years of experience in the industry, to bring you an optimized hosting solution for your vBulletin community. The new service, vBulletinHosting.com, is a web hosting solution specifically tailored to the needs of the vBulletin software.

We have been working closely with the vBulletinHosting.com team to set up their unique service, and we will continue to work with them in the future to ensure that they provide the best service for your vBulletin board. By hosting your boards with them, you can expect a higher level of performance from your board at a lower cost.

We are particularly excited about their ASP service, as it will provide a low cost all-in-one community solution - no need to worry about purchasing a license and hosting separately! If you are nervous about making the switch, then do not worry as they have a team of experts ready to help you every step of the way, including the technicalities of getting your data transferred. And with prices starting from as low as $9.95 per month, this must be worth a second look! They will also offer you a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Great!

I just love this!
    We will seriously look into it!
    Just a shame they probably will not support .nl domain names though.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

shibby!

sponsored by jelsoft sort of thing? i'm curious about the relationship. is it like you can't host with them unless you own a vB license or something... cos the prices are pretty good.

so basically vbulletinhosting.com has gone through jelsoft's quality control and now joo're recommending them for hosting? something like that?

cool stuff though. so many people have a hard time deciding on a host / finding a good host. now jelsoft has done the research and is saying "use these guys." that makes the decision easy for people looking for a host.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Yes, jakeman .. I also have been looking for few weeks now. And this kind of thing gives me a feeling like 'I can trust this hosting company'.. and 'they offer especially what I need'. So YEAH ..

Comment

• almighty one
          • Feb 2001

well dont know where you guys host or how big your boards are but i must say my board is a private community to keep wasted spmemrs out and my little site uses over 5 gigs of bandwidth a month this place here seems to be a bit high i mean there is many hosts out there that offer much more bandwidth much cheaper but i guess its good for some heh
          http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by almighty one
            well dont know where you guys host or how big your boards are but i must say my board is a private community to keep wasted spmemrs out and my little site uses over 5 gigs of bandwidth a month this place here seems to be a bit high i mean there is many hosts out there that offer much more bandwidth much cheaper but i guess its good for some heh
            I would take the simple account, since it is about the same price i am paying now, so i can afford that. (hobby forum) but I am already on 1.5/2.0 gb traffic, so that amount of 2gb/month is just too low. Having to go higher to get equal bandw. will double the costs. That is why we are going to look into it. Especially for selling vBhosting I expected a bit more freedom in bandw. because you can not predict how good a board will suddenly run. And unexpected bills are a pain.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

it looks like...

vbulletinhosting.com is designed specifically for hosting vBulletin forums. storage and bandwidth specs are set appropriately for a vBulletin site. i'm sure they're considering gzip output too.

their plans page ( http://www.vbulletinhosting.com/host_service.php ) says Are you looking for more than just a host for your board? Sign up for our "Total Solution" add on for only $10.00 a month and you get everything you see below added to your account.

Control Panel
              Comprehensive Visitor Stats
              POP3 Accounts
              Unlimited Email Forwarding
              Unlimited Autoresponders
              Mail Blockers
              Remote Access to WebMail
              Mailing List
              CGI
              Password Protected Directories
              Network Tools
              Secure Server (SSL)

so for an extra $10 a month you get features a regular web host would offer. otherwise their packages are designed to host vBulletin forums only, not whole sites.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

The exciting part of this arrangement is that you can get a vBulletin hosted by them, sort of like ezBoard. They handle all of the backend and you are given an admin account and free reign of your forum. You don't need to purchase a license, only pay the monthly fee as long as you wish to keep your forum going.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by freddie
                  The exciting part of this arrangement is that you can get a vBulletin hosted by them, sort of like ezBoard. They handle all of the backend and you are given an admin account and free reign of your forum. You don't need to purchase a license, only pay the monthly fee as long as you wish to keep your forum going.

http://www.vbulletinhosting.com/host_asp.php
                  vB for dummies

i'm sorry, that was bad

Comment

• KE1
                    • Apr 2002

not happy

Seems like everybody and their aunt and their aunt's dog is getting into the hosting arena.

I run a small hosting company and have recommended vBulletin to my customers. After this announcement, I will probably no longer be recommending it and will recommend Ultra Bulletin Board instead. The last thing I need is a company I recommend to take away clients from my own business. There's enough competition out there as it is in the hosting field. I don't need my customers to be getting these sales messages encouraging them to host elsewhere.

I'm extremely disappointed in vBulletin and if you have other web hosting clients using your software, don't be surprise if they also take their business elsewhere.

KE

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                      • Dec 2000
                      • 3.6.x

Re: not happy

Originally posted by KE1
                      Seems like everybody and their aunt and their aunt's dog is getting into the hosting arena.

I run a small hosting company and have recommended vBulletin to my customers. After this announcement, I will probably no longer be recommending it and will recommend Ultra Bulletin Board instead. The last thing I need is a company I recommend to take away clients from my own business. There's enough competition out there as it is in the hosting field. I don't need my customers to be getting these sales messages encouraging them to host elsewhere.

I'm extremely disappointed in vBulletin and if you have other web hosting clients using your software, don't be surprise if they also take their business elsewhere.

KE
                      i think your anger is misguided. this is vBulletin's hosted solution. many forum packages have hosted solutions including infopop's open topic and ezboard. this is a way for jelsoft to expand their business. that's the way business works... you innovate and offer new services and solutions to expand your market and make more money. perhaps you should do the same.

Comment

• Strider
                        • Apr 2002

Lot's of comments, let me see if I can answer everyones questions.

Just a shame they probably will not support .nl domain names though.
                        Although we can not register .nl domains for you we can certainly host them, that should not be a problem.

It seems that most of the issues that have arisen have to do with our packages and our pricing. Please understand that vBulletin boasts such a wide variety of users, it is impossible to come up with packages that would fill everyones needs. We actually explain this on our hosting page, the packages that you see there are just the basics. No matter what size board you have, you can contact us and receive a custom package and price. Whether you are looking at 5 gigs a month, 50 gigs or even 250 gigs. If your board does not fit into any of the packages listed, contact me at [email protected] or call me at 1-800-300-1383 and I will create a custom package for you. With that said, it is obvious that our site is not doing a good enough job explaining all of that, I will have that fixed asap.

As for our pricing, I have a few comments on this. Other hosts may sell bandwidth cheaper but you are thrown on one machine with hundreds of other sites and nothing is done to reduce or optimise the space and bandwidth you are using. Most of our clients are using significanly less bandwidth with us than they where using at there old host and most of them are now paying less with us than they were at there old host.

Again, if anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Brian

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                          • Dec 2000
                          • 3.6.x

thx for your e-mail reply brian (i'm jake from macsubculture). do you mind if i post your reply here so others can benefit from the info?

Comment

• Strider
                            • Apr 2002

Sure thing, I don't mind at all.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                              • Dec 2000
                              • 3.6.x

e-mail reply from brian

>how much does extra bandwidth cost?

It varies depending on the size of the board but in general it is $3.00
                              per
                              Gig. One important thing to remember is that most customers that are
                              hosting with us have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of
                              bandwidth and resources that there board uses up after they move to our
                              machines.

>do you have a money back guarantee?

Yes, we offer a 30 day, unconditional money back guarantee.

> specifically, i
                              >want to open an account and do a test install of vB
                              >with a copy of my database to see how performance is,
                              >etc. if i decide not to continue that account after
                              >testing your service (after 1 month let's say) am i
                              >eligable to get a refund?

Yes, we will refund your money, no questions asked.

>is there a list of hosted sites anywhere? i like to
                              >test drive other vBulletins on prospective hosts
                              >before making the committment.

No, we don't have a published list but here are a few sites that you
                              can
                              check out

A forum community dedicated to lawn care and landscaping professionals and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

>is there an approximate capacity for your plans? how
                              >many simultaneous users can i expect to support under
                              >your platinum plan?

Not really, we can come up with a package for just about any size
                              board. If you need more than what a shared server can handle, we can
                              set
                              you up on your own machine. We have customers that use 2 gigs of
                              bandwidth
                              all the way up to customers who are using 250 gigs a month.

>i understand your hosting is only for vBulletin
                              >forums? am i allowed to run the rest of my site on
                              >your service too? my site is completely vB integrated.
                              >i have a custom portal on my site in addition to my
                              >forums. the portal is written in php and dynamically
                              >pulls info from my vB database. it's just one file in
                              >my web root that acts as an intro to the forums. i
                              >also have a few other "static" vB integrated pages
                              >that use vB's template system for their output, and
                              >some pages that dynamically pull member listings from
                              >my vB database. see my site @
                              >http://www.macsubculture.com/ .

Yes, that would not be a problem

>any information on your NOC? (connectivity and all
                              >that)

We are connected via multiple DS3/OC12 redundant backbones in a state
                              of
                              the art Data Center. We have maintained a 99.5% uptime in the 4 and
                              half
                              years we have been in this business.

>l8trs!
                              >--jake
                              >
                              >__________________________________________________
                              >Do You Yahoo!?
                              >Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
                              >http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Brian Welch
                              vBulletin Hosting
                              ~$3 per gig is very good. and those 3 sites you gave me are very fast indeed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...