Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interrealm
    • Jun 2001

vB v3 Feature List?

I read in different posts about v3 of vB is mentioned and being pushed to be released sometime in first quarter.

Is it possible to get a list of features (new, enhancments and so on)?

Just thought I'd ask
  • mjames
    • Nov 2000
    • 3.8.x

Nothing is official, but there is discussion ongoing about this.

Here is a thread of suggested features: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=26055

Discussion:
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Thus far, these things have been 'officially' leaked

- Threaded view
      - Overhauled calendar (including multi-day events and reoccuring events)
      - Additional types of custom profile fields (checkboxes, selects, text boxes, textareas, etc.)
      - Overhauled template system

Comment

• interrealm
        • Jun 2001

what will be involved with the threaded view?

Thats great on the custome field options, specially with my integration i'm doing with my site tieing into vB.

Btw I would like to put in a request to emphasis on the searches cause it seems that as the security gets more complex, the searches are becoming a bigger and bigger burden on the system. Example being.. if i do a search on "new posts".. my server (which is a dual 1ghz) has about 60% of this processor (both) taken up by mysql during the search... but when I do a list of posts for the current day... (just a basic cut/dry query/display) it takes no time at all.

So if you could try to clean up the searches somewhat it would be great help.

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

Threaded view is like Slashdot or UBBThreads (formerly W3Threads).

As to the searches we are doing what we can but due to the complexity of the search engine it is very difficult to squeeze more performance out of it.

Comment

• interrealm
            • Jun 2001

Well possibly as a "alternative" is to setup a "daily active threads" where it simply lists the active threads for that particular day like UBB does. Personally my users would have more use outta this then the "new posts" thing.

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Depends what your users like. Mine like the getnew because it shows them what's new since they last visited as opposed to just the last 24 hours, and if they haven't visited in a few days it's a more accurate picture of what they missed.

Oh and BTW there is already an 'active threads' thing. It is shown as a link to unregistered users by default but anyone can use it.

Comment

• interrealm
                • Jun 2001

I'll check that link out... we are showing (via WOL) upwards of 250 and up active Logged in users and when you have people doing searches it beings to put a strain. Last 3 days we've delivered 750k hits a day

Thanks for the great software.. look forward to ANY future upgrades as I'm sure they will keep in line with the past and be better then ever.

Comment

• nuno
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tubedogg
                  Thus far, these things have been 'officially' leaked

- Threaded view
                  - Overhauled calendar (including multi-day events and reoccuring events)
                  - Additional types of custom profile fields (checkboxes, selects, text boxes, textareas, etc.)
                  - Overhauled template system
                  i only hope that Threaded view is optional, i dont like wwwthreads or whatever its called now
                  You're my Prince of Peace
                  And I will live my life for You

Comment

• tubedogg
                    • Feb 2001

It has not been determined yet whether it will be an admin-only board-wide option or an individual user option but there will be a way to turn it off.

Comment

• TheBear
                      • Jan 2002

Hello,

Is that 750k "hits" or page views? I mean on my site I get 900k "hits" per day no problem running on a PPC Mac. But that is more like 120,000 pages per day. Just trying to be clear on terminology.

I do not yet have vBulletin, but planning on getting it real soon to integrate into my existing site and am as always concerned about loads on the server.

My new server for this site will be a dual 1 gig pIII running RedHat. But with the other additional content being added to my site, not counting vBulletin and all of its features, I expect my traffic to get up to 5-6 million page views per month real soon.

Thanks

Dale

Originally posted by interrealm
                      I'll check that link out... we are showing (via WOL) upwards of 250 and up active Logged in users and when you have people doing searches it beings to put a strain. Last 3 days we've delivered 750k hits a day

Thanks for the great software.. look forward to ANY future upgrades as I'm sure they will keep in line with the past and be better then ever.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

At SitePoint we run a single Athlon 650 Mhz processor with 512 megabytes of RAM and currently do well over 6 million page views per month counting all of our properties, the forums and hosted sites.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

well i was hoping thread viewed will completely optional... personally i hate thread view forums like yahoo or wwwthreads

as to load you might need to fine tune mysql and php and apache/linux kernel for more performance benefits..

my dual p3 866 with 768mb ram and 18gb scsi server

runs my vBulletin
                          - http://animeboards.com/index.php?s= which get's 4,500 visitors/day around 65,000 - 95,000 pageviews/day and between 60 - 600 users at a time generating 1,300 - 2,400 new posts/day

same server hosts several other of my sites including phpadsnew banner script which locally and remotely serves 255,000+ banner impressions/day (based on 3.6 - 7.65 million pageviews/month) to 330,000 - 480,000 visitors per month (total of all sites on server)
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• TheBear
                            • Jan 2002

Thank you very much for the info. That makes me feel a whole lot better about all these changes I am workng on

Dale

Originally posted by wluke
                            At SitePoint we run a single Athlon 650 Mhz processor with 512 megabytes of RAM and currently do well over 6 million page views per month counting all of our properties, the forums and hosted sites.

Comment

• interrealm
                              • Jun 2001

its hits.. pageviews range (since jan 1,2002) at 190k to 200k per day.

We currently run Windows 2000 on a Dual 1ghz, 1gig ram so power is not an issue. I'm beginning to think the search is more a problem load due to the the more complex the security gets the harder the search works. HOpefully they will put work into this to stream line it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...