Why can't I upload MP3s (or other large files) to my board?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

Why can't I upload MP3s (or other large files) to my board?

Q: Why can't I upload large files (such as MP3s) to my board, even though I've changed the maximum file size in the Admin CP?

A: There are two system variables that must be changed to allow large file-size uploads. They are in the files php.ini (PHP's configuration file) and my.cnf (MySQL's configuration file). If you are on a shared or virtual host, chances are you will not be able to edit either of these files and will need to contact your host for assistance.

The variables that need to be changed are:
    php.ini: upload_max_filesize
    my.cnf: max_allowed_packet

In addition, your server may limit the size of HTTP POST operations. This varies from server to server so consult your web server's documentation on how to adjust this.
    Last edited by tubedogg; Mon 1 Jul '02, 1:51pm.
  • MarcHanlon
    • Nov 2001

Is there not a limit on the file that will fit in the BLOB in the attachment table? Or is that affected by the value in my.cnf?

Marc.
    Marc Hanlon
    Rushland.net

Comment

• Mike Doherty
      • Mar 2001

POST_MAX_SIZE

You also need to increase POST_MAX_SIZE in php.ini

Mike.
      Mike Doherty
      UniPro Ltd

Comment

• Lastaii
        • Jun 2002

Hmmmm... I've sorted out php.ini, but in the MySQL config file (my.ini in my case) there's no reference to max_allowed_packet. Any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Lastaii
          ...but in the MySQL config file (my.ini in my case) there's no reference to max_allowed_packet. Any ideas?
          Just add one.

set-variable = max_allowed_packet=xM

...with 'x' being the packet size in Mbs.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Lastaii
            • Jun 2002

Yep, that did the trick, thanks

Note: I also had to increase the max_execution_time value in php.ini, as PHP was timing out with large attachments (>20Meg). All is good now tho

Comment

• MUG
              • Apr 2002

I believe there is a hack on vBulletin.org that makes attachments stored as files, instead of being in the MySQL database.

HTH

vBulletin.org, not vBulletin.com...
              Last edited by MUG; Tue 25 Jun '02, 5:39am.

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

note max_allowed_packet is limited to 16MB in size for mysql 3.23.x versions
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Lastaii
                  • Jun 2002

Ah...That would explain why I couldnt upload a test 20M file...

Note to self: Don't trust your users ability to calculate filesize

I'll try that hack MUG suggested, if that doesnt work, then they'll just thave to FTP the data like they used to

Comment

• memobug
                    • Jun 2002

Re: Why can't I upload MP3s (or other large files) to my board?

[i]
                    A: There are two system variables that must be changed to allow large file-size uploads...
                    1) How large is "large?"

2) I have 75-100k image limits, and I'm trying to preserve upward compatability with 3.0 when it comes out.

I understand vB3 will store images externally. Would it be better for compatibility's sake to store images internally or externally with the hack?

Thanks & regards,

Matt

Comment

• Haakon
                      • Jan 2001

I came over the fix on another place and thought I would share; look for php.conf on red hat systems (mine is /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf), you`ll see the setting you`re after.
                      Last edited by Haakon; Fri 25 Jun '04, 5:07am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...