Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G-man
    • Jul 2000

Spellchecker Ruse

I have a test site that is running the older version of Vbb in which the spellchecker is working fine. I searched Vbb to find out why the spell checker is not operational in 2.0 and someone said it was beacuse they have shutdown the free spellchecking. If thye have indeed shut it down why is it my spellchecker is still working on the test site without a glitch?

Is the 2.0 coding the same as the older version? I have a bunch of people that have depended on this spell checker for too long just to have it taken away with an upgrade. How can I get it working again? Even if I have to pay when they take away the free spellchecker.

I tried to uncomment the button but that just gave me somesort of error in the script. Could the "No free spellchecker" just be a ruse because the writers of Vbb could not figure out how to interface 2.0 to the spellchecker? Please help
    Last edited by G-man; Thu 7 Jun '01, 10:08am.
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

Re: Spellchecker Ruse

Originally posted by G-man
    I tried to uncomment the button but that just gave me somesort of error in the script. Could the "No free spellchecker" just be a ruse because the writers of Vbb could not figure out how to interface 2.0 to the spellchecker? Please help
    First off, it's vB, not Vbb. And second, if you notice, spellchecker was in up through RC3, so obviously it worked with 2.0. Spellchecker.net made an announcement about 2 months ago saying they were discontinuing their free service. If you would like to check http://ubbforums.infopop.com/ you will see they did the same thing - remove spellchecker.

Comment

• G-man
      • Jul 2000

Well ya know if I owned spellchecker.net and I was discontinuing it I sure as heck would not still have and entire section of my website dedicated to it, no would I?

Hey what's this you can even sign up for it and they send to all the information and no where in it does it mention stopping service.

If Ubb jumps off a bridge....

Come on guys you have the best of the best here.
      Last edited by G-man; Thu 7 Jun '01, 12:51pm.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

G-Man please cut the sarcasm. The owners of spellchecker.net contacted Jelsoft and made it clear that they were discontinueing the free service as some point in the near future. Now we can only go by what they tell us and disable the feature so that it just doesn't stop working whenever they do decide to turn it off.

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

Interesting how that URL has the word pricing in it. Could it be because I said they were discontinuing their free service?

Comment

• G-man
            • Jul 2000

Freddie,
            I am sorry, but it should not have been part of the program in the first place. I have thousands of members that use the boards and the spellchecker everyday and to have it in there then take it away is the same as letting a fat kid work in a candy shop and then telling him he has go to work in health food shop. They were hooked on it and now I am catching it for the sudden disappearance. They are uptight so I am too.

Answer this one question. Why is spellchecker.net still promoting the free service and when I called they had not a clue why anyone would be saying they are discontinuing the service?

From their site
            Free SpellChecker
            Our free SpellChecker can be added to virtually any text box on a web site. There is no charge for the service, but our banner ads do display in the SpellChecker window. To sign up for this service, click here.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
              • Jun 2000
              • 4.0.x

Spellchecker.net has notified both InfoPop and Jelsoft with their intent to cancel the free service. If you need this feature, feel free to add the code to your templates and subscribe to their service.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Answer this one question. Why is spellchecker.net still promoting the free service and when I called they had not a clue why anyone would be saying they are discontinuing the service?

From their site
                I would love to answer this question for you but since Spellchecker.net does not answer their support email nor offers for promoting their service, I cannot.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tubedogg
                  • Feb 2001

Freddie,
                  I am sorry, but it should not have been part of the program in the first place.
                  Since you are apparently clairvoyant could you please do us all a favor and look at the code for v2.1 and save us the time of coding it?

Had we known it was going away we would have never put it in. But since we can't see into the future we didn't know this ahead of time. Have you ever used Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail or any of the other free email services? If so, why? They might go away - so you shouldn't be using them!

This was included in a beta product - meaning features can and will be added and removed. You used it at your own risk.
                  Last edited by tubedogg; Thu 7 Jun '01, 1:43pm.

Comment

• Hooper
                    • Apr 2001
                    • 3.5.x

Spellchecker is gone...............Well I'll be, it sure is. Wow, big deal.
                    Everyone knows I cannot spell anyhow and no one yet has said anything about it. Maybe if posters post something besides spam, the incorrect spelling can be overlooked for the content.

Not that G-man's way to articulate this conversation was impressive, but if vB would indeed ever have another SC, I would think that an in-house solution would be the best. Something that could be copyrighted as a part of vB. If it were me, I wouldn't want anything at all in common with a competitor. Especially with the above named one.

Just my 2 cents that most likely isn't even worth 1.
                    Last edited by Hooper; Fri 8 Jun '01, 9:09am.

Comment

• G-man
                      • Jul 2000

I need to appoligise. Yesterday was a killer day. I ahd the phone ringing off the hook with people that were ticked that I "screwed up" their boards. I jumped when I should not have. I am sorry.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...