Fourum and Usergroup question should be wasy one for you guys

Ok, I am in the forum permisions editor -

If the server has the ranks/groups

"Admin"
    "Jr Admin"
    "normal User"
    "Beginner"
    and so fourth....

If I have a forum where lets say where I only want "Jr Admin" to be able to view it. If I go to the forums manager and click on each rank/group and edit it to say "normal User" can view forum "no" this means they cant view it right? But you have to be in a group called "Jr Admin" to view that group?

As you can see what I am trying to do, I guess my question is this where I set it up that way to do that? Or is there a faster way and more convienient way to do that?

Also if the user is in "Beginner" and I want to keep them in that group but want to give them access to "Jr Admin" where is that done at?

I previously used phpBB and the forum permisions and groups was a bit easier to understand and this board is a bit confusing to me sofar..

Thanks in Advance!!
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

It is pretty straight forward... if a user is a member of a group that doesn't have access to a forum:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

...then they won't be able to view that forum.

If you want overlaps in your permissions, then you can use secondary groups. See this thread.

Comment

• fiber_cut
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      It is pretty straight forward... if a user is a member of a group that doesn't have access to a forum:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

...then they won't be able to view that forum.

If you want overlaps in your permissions, then you can use secondary groups. See this thread.
      I have gone over that a million times and it still does not work.. I have had a ticket open with teh support dept for about 24 hours now and havent heard a reply yet..

Under the forumI have all the groups set to not be able to view the forum, Then the one group I want toallow access set to view. Then I go to the user and give them that group and still cannot access the forum.

I am using the latest version of the software, This was jsut installed.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by fiber_cut
        Then I go to the user and give them that group and still cannot access the forum.
        Are you using secondary groups? If so, make sure you check the setting that is explained in the 3rd post in that thread:

Comment