Fulltext Search doesn't find words < 4 characters.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grover
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

Fulltext Search doesn't find words < 4 characters.

Hi,

I must be forgetting something (learing the beta's for the first time), but how do I set it up so I can search on words with < 4 characters if I use FullText search? I switched my testboard to Fulltext search, but I can't search on words < 4 characters.
    How much do you love XenForo?
  • TCM
    • Dec 2004

I don't belive it's possible. =/

Comment

• Grover
      • May 2001
      • 3.8.x

Confused.

It's not possible? Serious? But I had a huge list of 3-character words inside VB 3.0.7 to let my members find these important words despite the 4-character limit. Now I want to use Fulltext Search, which I thought would find ANYTHING, but apparantly I am still stuck with this 4-character limit?

There's is no way then to include this list of 3-character words on my FullText searches? This is very unfortunate, because I have to switch back to the old system then.....

Comment

• TCM
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Grover
        It's not possible? Serious? But I had a huge list of 3-character words inside VB 3.0.7 to let my members find these important words despite the 4-character limit. Now I want to use Fulltext Search, which I thought would find ANYTHING, but apparantly I am still stuck with this 4-character limit?

There's is no way then to include this list of 3-character words on my FullText searches? This is very unfortunate, because I have to switch back to the old system then.....
        Well, I'm not 100% sure of this, but yea, as far as I know that's right.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

You will have to change the setting in one of MySQL's config files and then restart it.

Comment

• Grover
            • May 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
            You will have to change the setting in one of MySQL's config files and then restart it.
            Right... I am on a shared server, like most people I guess, so I have no access to MySQL whatsoever. Do you know it's configured at minimum 4 characters by default? I guess so?

What do I do if I have no access to these settings and want to use Full Text Search and want to include those 3-character words I listed in my former Normal VB Search?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

The minimum and maximum length of words to be indexed is defined by the ft_min_word_len and ft_max_word_len system variables (available as of MySQL 4.0.0). See Section 5.3.3, “Server System Variables”. The default minimum value is four characters. The default maximum depends on your version of MySQL. If you change either value, you must rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. For example, if you want three-character words to be searchable, you need to edit my.cnf (or my.ini on Windows systems) and set the ft_min_word_len variable by putting the following lines in an option file:

[mysqld]
              ft_min_word_len=3

Then restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. Also note particularly the remarks regarding myisamchk in the instructions following this list.
              Last edited by Steve Machol; Thu 23 Aug '07, 9:52am. Reason: added the name of the file to edit

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Grover
                What do I do if I have no access to these settings and want to use Full Text Search and want to include those 3-character words I listed in my former Normal VB Search?
                You've just described the impossible scenario.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Added Freddie's post to my knowledgebase.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Grover
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                    You've just described the impossible scenario.
                    Haha, this sentence made me laugh!

Comment

• freaky
                      • Jul 2000
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                      Mysql docs say to rebuild the FULLTEXT indexes after reducing the char count. It says to do this...

mysql> REPAIR TABLE tbl_name QUICK;

do we need to, and if so, which table?

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Out of my head this would only be the post & thread tables.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Milez
                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by MarcoH64
                          Out of my head this would only be the post & thread tables.
                          I really think the fulltext stuff should be documented better...especially considering 90% of vb admns will want to make the conversion.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Milez
                            I really think the fulltext stuff should be documented better...especially considering 90% of vb admns will want to make the conversion.
                            It is documented quite well in the MySQL Online Documentation.

I have added Freddie's information above to the manual entry on Search Type and included the link to the MySQL documentation.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...