Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaeberle
    • Nov 2004

Occasional new users getting wrong permissions

I've had two users so far who've had a problem after registering that they're getting the following permissions:

"You may not post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may edit your posts"

They are showing up properly as members of the Registered Users group, and they should be permitted to do all of the above.

I suspect a browser issue - possibly firefox but I don't know what user #2 is using yet - I've asked. I'm looking for instructions I can relay to the users to try to fix. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

There are several things to check. I can take a look if you send me a PM with a URL and admin login to your forum, and the username of one of the users that is having the problem.

Comment

• chaeberle
      • Nov 2004

While I really do appreciate the offer - I'm one of those security paranoid admins and am leery about allowing *anyone* to have admin access that I don't know personally, even members of the vB team like yourself.

Would you be willing to spell out the things I should check, instead, and I can report back?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Focus on one user who is having the problem. Go to your:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users

Find that user and edit their profile. Make a note of their primary group and any additional group memberships. Then go to your:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager

Check the permissions on all of the usergroups to which that member belongs. Make sure they are allowed to post threads and attachments. If there are multiple groups involved, then consult with this thread to see how they interact.

Then check your forum-level group permissions:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Make sure the group(s) in question has permission to post threads and attachments in the forum(s) in question.

If that all checks out, then go back to your:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users

Find the user again and edit their profile. Select the Edit Forum Permissions (Access Masks) option from the menu on their profile page. Make sure there isn't an overriding No for the forum(s) in question.

Also make sure the forum(s) in question allows new posts:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Forum is Open

Comment

• chaeberle
          • Nov 2004

Silly me - my user was trying to post new threads in our News forum, which is Admin only for new threads and attachments.

It didn't hit me until I was going through your checklist and said, "which forum is she talking about...D'OH!"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...