Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmking
    • Sep 2001

The authors of vBull must revisit the "cookies time out" problem. The time out seems to under 10 minutes. I just went to my forum, noted several new posts. Then went downstairs for a cup of coffee and cigarette, came back and clicked new posts and they are all gone. I wasn't away more then 10 minutes and cookies had timed out all the new stuff. That is ridiculous.

My preferance would be to have cookies never time out. Maybe it should be something a user can set in the User CP.( but also bump the system default up to MUCH higher than 10 minutes)

I always click "mark forums read" after reading the new posts. I don't want the system helping me with this, especially when it arbitrarily declares that I've read all posts when in fact I've read none.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

The timeout default is set to 900 seconds, this is 15 minutes, you can goto the admin control panel > vbulletin options > vbulletin options > cookie settings > and raise it from 900 to a setting that pleases you.

Comment

• filmking
      • Sep 2001

but that keeps 'who's online' set too long

Floris:

I understand that the cookies time out also controls the "who's on line" feature. This is all "kind of dumb". If I set the time out for more than 15 minutes to satisfy the needs of New POsts, then Who's on line will keep people shown online for an unreasonably long time. Obviously, you want that to be a much shorter time and the New POsts a longer time.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

This is the way it works now. Please feel free to post a suggestion in the vB3 Suggestions forum on how you would like to see this changed for future versions.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• admiralapril
          • Oct 2001

Originally posted by filmking
          The authors of vBull must revisit the "cookies time out" problem. The time out seems to under 10 minutes. I just went to my forum, noted several new posts. Then went downstairs for a cup of coffee and cigarette, came back and clicked new posts and they are all gone. I wasn't away more then 10 minutes and cookies had timed out all the new stuff.
          I (and some of my members) have had the same problem numerous times. Have been wondering if anyone else has had it also. I have my cookies set to 900 seconds but it always times out sometime before that.

One time I loaded up my forum and had many new threads in different forums. Not wasting any time, I clicked into a forum only to find all of the threads read. I went back to the main page that lists all of the forums and they were all marked read. I was still logged in. That's the worst it's been and it is never consistent, which is why I haven't brought it up here.

Usually if I can't get to all of my new posts, I'll open up the who's online page and let it refresh each minute to keep the new posts unread until I can get to them, but now with 3.0.0 it doesn't work and within an amount of time, posts are marked read.

Don't get me wrong.. I love vb 3.0 very much.. except the cookie problem. Could this be linked to my browser cookies (IE 6.0, win2000)? I never had a problem with vb 2.x.

Comment

• filmking
            • Sep 2001

As instructed I've witten a post on this in the 'suggestions'. I can't tell you how many times I have lost new posts to read because of this. Why the 'New POsts' and 'Who's on line' functions are tied together on this function is incomprehensible; one you'd want to last as long as possible so that members actually read posts and the other you'd want short as possible to accurately show who's on at the moment. A very clumsy design I think. Members don't need the system to wipe out the 'markers' for posts they have yet to read. They all seem to know how to use the 'mark all forums read' . Yes, I join you in saying I love vBull v3 but this design flaw is very annoying.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

FWIW vB has always worked like this from the very beginning. Changing the read system to be thread based is a major programming job and will not happen quickly.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• C_P
                • Aug 2004

I'd like to be added to the "This is a Good Suggestion to Fix" list on this issue.
                Originally posted by Steve Machol
                FWIW vB has always worked like this from the very beginning. Changing the read system to be thread based is a major programming job and will not happen quickly.
                I understand it would take major programming to correct but being in a software support position myself just because it "has always worked like that" does not make it right .....
                Thank you for the consideration.

Comment

• raxafarian
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.0.0 'Gold'

If the new posts 'times out' before I get a chance to read them all... I use a link to "get all posts in the past day".. Maybe that will work for you in the meantime?

link to use:
                  <urltoyourforums>/search.php?do=getdaily

or even:
                  <urltoyourforums>/search.php?do=getdaily&days=2
                  for all posts past 2 days

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Not sure why it was necessary to resurrect a thread that was almost a year old. The Devs are considering a major change to how this works for future versions. You can read about this in the 'Under Consideration' sub-forum:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• C_P
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Not sure why it was necessary to resurrect a thread that was almost a year old. The Devs are considering a major change to how this works for future versions. You can read about this in the 'Under Consideration' sub-forum:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104491
                      Thanks for the info Steve.
                      As to why, when you do a search here on the issue we are having and your results bring you to a thread with a similar issue to the earliest time to todays date, you tend to reply with your input on that thread. I will do my damndest next time to find "earlier" threads as not to cause this concern next time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...