X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

MySQL moving away from the GPL?

Iggy writes "After reading the article on 'The MySQL License Question' by Timothy R. Butler at Open for Business I just have to wonder, is this company's wording on the MySQL site indicating the company is backing away from Free Software, specifically, the GPL? Great reading and certainly thought p...

Certainly casts a bit of worry in my mind.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  • Dave#
    • Jul 2000

Ffs
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
      • Feb 2003

I was once told that the moment people realize that they can make money off open source software, they will close its source and start selling it. It makes sense when considering how greedy some people can be. I wonder what this means for vBulletin.

Comment

• Dave#
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
        I was once told that the moment people realize that they can make money off open source software, they will close its source and start selling it. It makes sense when considering how greedy some people can be. I wonder what this means for vBulletin.
        Let me guess you haven't read the ./ page either?
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

I don't see the problem with moving away from GPL. Even if they move away from GPL their own license could be just as easy to deal with.

It is there move, we will just have to wait and see what they do. Even if they do start charing for it I see them aiming it at the small - mid-sized useage range, IMO there product is not ready for large scale stuff yet.

As for vBulletin, I think we are going to see more db drivers soon anyway, so I don't think jelsoft would suffer to much from anything happing in the mySQL camp.

Comment

• AWS
            • Apr 2000
            • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Brad.loo
            I don't see the problem with moving away from GPL. Even if they move away from GPL their own license could be just as easy to deal with.

It is there move, we will just have to wait and see what they do. Even if they do start charing for it I see them aiming it at the small - mid-sized useage range, IMO there product is not ready for large scale stuff yet.

As for vBulletin, I think we are going to see more db drivers soon anyway, so I don't think jelsoft would suffer to much from anything happing in the mySQL camp.
            Have you read the article?
            They are not moving away from gpl they are creating a new commercial license. You can still use mysql with any gpl'ed software free of charge.
            However, if you use a non-gpl app to connect to a mysql db then you are violating their new license and are required to buy a license to use mysql with the app. What this means is anyone running vbulletin is violating mysql AB license and if they choose to enforce the license then you would have to pay.
            Maybe it's time for a postgresql port of vbulletin.
            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
              Have you read the article?
              They are not moving away from gpl they are creating a new commercial license. You can still use mysql with any gpl'ed software free of charge.
              However, if you use a non-gpl app to connect to a mysql db then you are violating their new license and are required to buy a license to use mysql with the app. What this means is anyone running vbulletin is violating mysql AB license and if they choose to enforce the license then you would have to pay.
              Maybe it's time for a postgresql port of vbulletin.
              Sadly I can not get the artical to load so I had to reply on what I picked up at slashdot, I understand more cleary now thanks

I like you think it is about time for a port, way overdue acully, at any rate I would still like to see a db api introduced that can talk to multiple database types, instead of simply porting the current SQL text to work with postgre.

Speaking of postgre, soley I don't think a version just for it would work, at this time postgre is not supported as much as mySQL is with most hosting providers.

Can a dev or team member comment on the topic please?

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

I can't believe that they would possibly force users who are using a mysql version which exists under the GPL license, to then start paying for it (e.g. a paid product like vBulletin). This is certainly going to cause utter chaos if they do make that move.

Comment

• merk
                  • Jul 2001

The application connecting to MySQL is not vBulletin.

There is no impact for us.

PHP is the application that is connecting to MySQL.

Originally posted by slashdot
                  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=118195&cid=9987564 in addition to http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=118195&cid=9988634 and its replies

I'd say that our FOSS Exception (which admittely took time to author) is a great example of removing gray zones and impossible situations. Some open source licences are by definition incompatible with each other, but with our FOSS Exception we have made sure that MySQL under GPL can live side by side with open source software of other licences.
                  edit again- This issue is related to MySQL <--> PHP and has very little to do with vBulletin. vBulletin doesnt distribute anything to do with mysql and relies on PHP's built in mysql_ functions to work.
                  Last edited by merk; Wed 18 Aug '04, 12:55am.

Comment

• merk
                    • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                    I like you think it is about time for a port, way overdue acully, at any rate I would still like to see a db api introduced that can talk to multiple database types, instead of simply porting the current SQL text to work with postgre.

Speaking of postgre, soley I don't think a version just for it would work, at this time postgre is not supported as much as mySQL is with most hosting providers.

Can a dev or team member comment on the topic please?
                    There was a few threads about this a while back, and it was determined that a DB API is slow and would cause more problems than it would fix. Especially when you have one you cant use database-specific optimisations.

Comment

• merk
                      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Dean C
                      I can't believe that they would possibly force users who are using a mysql version which exists under the GPL license, to then start paying for it (e.g. a paid product like vBulletin). This is certainly going to cause utter chaos if they do make that move.
                      This isnt what they are doing?!

Read through the comments on the /. article (esp http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=118195&cid=9987124)

Comment

• Dean C
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

I've read through the article, I was commenting based on what AWS said

However, if you use a non-gpl app to connect to a mysql db then you are violating their new license and are required to buy a license to use mysql with the app.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...