Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jucs
    • Jun 2000

Active X Warnings

This just in from a user after upgrading to RC2. Are they just out of luck on this one?

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 as a browser. For security reasons, I've got the browser set to prompt me for running ActiveX controls. Since the software upgrade, I now receive a prompt to allow ActiveX controls and plug-ins on each page of the board that I open. That was not the case prior to the upgrade. It's rather annoying to have to answer Yes or No for each page that I navigate to.

I know that I could simply relax my security controls, but I'd rather not. And I don't expect you to change the setup just to suit one user. I just wanted to provide feedback on one of the ramifications of the recent changes.
  • Princess Nikida
    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by jucs
    This just in from a user after upgrading to RC2. Are they just out of luck on this one?
    They should have more relaxed settings on their "trusted sites" list (since trusted sites are only sites that they specifically "trust" and add to the list). If this is the case, they could add your URL to their trusted sites list, and then they shouldn't have to worry about the ActiveX prompt. Or atleast that is what I do...
    "A man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. He sits on a hot stove for a minute, it's longer than any hour. That is relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• cbiweb
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.1.x

I've gotten a few complaints about the ActiveX warnings lately. For them it is caused by lines 439 and 440 of vbulletin_menu.js in the clientscript folder:

Code:
      popupobj.style.filter += "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.alpha(enabled=1,opacity=100)";
      popupobj.style.filter += "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.shadow(direction=135,color=#8E8E8E,strength=3)";
      Those two lines can be commented out, and the forum members no longer get the warnings. The only thing those two lines affect are the opacity and drop shadow of the new drop-down menus. Not a big loss, but I'd kinda like them to be there.

It seems to me that drop shadows and opacity can be achieved with DHTML rather than ActiveX? Is there a reason ActiveX was used in this instance?
      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

There is no opacitly added to the dropdowns, all that is generated is the shadow.

The other bit that will send a browser off is the logout bit that makes the screen grey

Comment

• cbiweb
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          There is no opacitly added to the dropdowns, all that is generated is the shadow.

The other bit that will send a browser off is the logout bit that makes the screen grey
          Yes, I know there is no opacity added, and that's not what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about those two lines of code, which are causing the warning for some members. When I commented them out, the warnings stopped. You mentioned the logout dialog could trigger it, but that isn't the case here, so now I'm back to square one. Leaving those two lines of code uncommented will continue triggering the warnings. Any idea what I can do?
          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...