Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gooberville
    • Apr 2004

Living In VB Email Nightmare...

Yes thats right I said NIGHTMARE, because I have forgotten what one was like until living in this one.

Our double post is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100771

The problem was here:

So did this function ever get fixed? Because we are having the same problem. I see in the bug reports it says BOGUS. So does that mean that this fix will not work? Or that it was said to be a bad fix. If so why not delete this post so others dont follow down the same path.

We have worked hours and hours and hours on this issue. The pHP.ini file has been changed properly and done over and over with countless restarts of the web server all to no avail. It keeps saying that it's default is localhost and no send from. When it's there plain as day itself. And uncommented out as well.

Is this a bug that means it will not work with windows XP/NT/2000 servers?

Can someone elaborate on why the php.ini file is not being read? Even though its in the root directory where PHP put it upon installation? Plus we have had a server working for some time now under phpBB and while they have a simple function that says where to put the smtp designation, Vbulletin with all its snazzy features has no function for that at all, leaving clueless n00bs like us fiddling with php.ini files and various config files, as in the above with no final tech support message to say whether anyone should undertake the above mission to check and see if it will work.

Why not just include the damn function in the board options config instead of leaving people in the dust with this problem.

My serverphpinfo file shows the same error as everyone else gets and that is

Warning: mail(): "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\forums\admincp\diagnostic.php on line 279
    The info file includes the same issue, and that is that its seeing only local host even though the file is set to smtp.xxx.xxx and the send feature has the send_from = [email protected]

So what is the problem with this idiotic function? Seems that the php.ini file is somehow NOT being read from the Vbulletin or PHP diagnostics area or the Apache server even though it's run fine under another system albeit phpBB.

It would be nice if you all could answer this question and deal with it so people that fall into this Vbulletin install nightmare will know prior to buying it that its long on features and short on the most basic thing a board needs and that's a standard way to send registration emails and emails for board functions.

Without that feature alone the board and all who put it together are worthless to us and to the many unsuspecting users who fall into this email trap.

Sorry for acting rude or sounding obnoxious but you try sitting for 8 hours in a chair trying to figure this issue out when phpBB has it all done and ready to go out of the download box. This is a STUPID miscalculation on Vbulletins part in our opinion as well as that pesky IMPEX isssue that was just now solved.

Please deal with this because if you don't somewhere you will read about us jumping out the window and or hanging ourselves from the office rafters.

Thus ending our misery and our feelings of dread over loss of work and productivity.

Goober

P.S. Yes I think due to our miserable deaths upcoming I will double post this message as not only here but in a seperate thread that we create. The thinking is we will be dead before you all solve it so whats the difference, the complaints will fall on the proverbial deaf ears because we will be on our way to heaven or hell by the time you either read or solve this Yes we would enjoy going back to doing actual work instead of finding and re-doing YOUR work on OUR schedule
    Last edited by Gooberville; Mon 3 May '04, 3:52pm.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I have not run into this problem on windows running apache or IIS. I have a windows 2003 server setup and apache + vB has been sending out mail fine. Im not a developer so i have no clue why it wouldnt be working correctly.

Have you modifed the footer in anyway? because if the varible $cronimage is not in the footer your email functions very way may have stoped working for good reason

Comment

• Gooberville
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
      I have not run into this problem on windows running apache or IIS. I have a windows 2003 server setup and apache + vB has been sending out mail fine. Im not a developer so i have no clue why it wouldnt be working correctly.

Have you modifed the footer in anyway? because if the varible $cronimage is not in the footer your email functions very way may have stoped working for good reason
      Ahhh someone posted Great. Now if you could explain that one area to a clueless n00b who has zero idea which footer you are talking about and where the variable is $cronimage? And which file would this be in and what would the footer need to say?

Could you ELABORATE, "Ahhhhh The FILES ARE IN THE COMPUTER"

(Quote from Zoolander and HANSEL) (He is so hot right now).....

Goober

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

the varible $cronimage MUST be in the footer for some of vBulletin3's features to work

the footer is a template, which is stored in the templates, you can check your templates by going to AdminCP > Styles & templates > Style Manager > click on << >> > Find the footer template, and edit it, search to make sure $cronimage is in there

Comment

• Gooberville
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
          the varible $cronimage MUST be in the footer for some of vBulletin3's features to work

the footer is a template, which is stored in the templates, you can check your templates by going to AdminCP > Styles & templates > Style Manager > click on << >> > Find the footer template, and edit it, search to make sure $cronimage is in there

Here is what we have:

<div class="smallfont" align="center">
          <!-- Do not remove $cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->
          $cronimage
          <!-- Do not remove $cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->

So that file is there. Any other possibilities? Maybe why the php.ini file says its local host when we have it set for something else?

My guess is that is where the problem is since it says php.ini file is where this missing info is.

Goober

P.S> thank you for this help

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

In the Admin CP, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gooberville
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              In the Admin CP, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.
              Here is the pertinent details that the php info would show you:

sendmail_from no value no valuesendmail_path no value no value serialize_precision100 100short_open_tagOn OnSMTP localhost localhost smtp_port 25 25 sql.safe_modeOff Off
              And a bit more

Regex Library Bundled library enabled Dynamic Library Support enabled Internal Sendmail Support for Windows enabled
              SystemRoot C:\WINDOWS

SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"]Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) PHP/4.3.4

There isnt much there that you can diag. Our PHP.ini is set as such in mail area:

SMTP = smtp.xxx.xxx the x is just our way of not posting the mail server.

next is

sendmail_from = [email protected]

and lastly

sendmail_path = sendmail -f -t -i

Both are not set with the ; or commented with the

; symbol

So thats it. When we do a test on diag we get the replies above and we see that it says its reporting smtp is localhost and sendmail_from is no value.

We are running apache above and with php as said. The issue I think is why it won't read the php.ini file after countless reloads of apache and countless stops and starts of apache?

We still get the errors in VB as if we had not even run php.ini or as if it is not reading it on start and stop and start again.

The only thing I can think of that is out of place was that we changed from phpBB and we are using a redirect from our old phpBB2/ folder to the new forums/ folder. We had to do that because we were not sure if the IMPEX was going to work.

However we have set mysql to USE the new database and so we are using it. However the redirect somehow has to stay on or the board reverts back to the original phpBB2 area when turned back.

Short of deleting the entire old board (which we fear doing since we have no gaurantees at this point VB will work as advertised) we have just settled with the redirect and the USE new db in Mysql.

However parts of the brain that I have left over say that possibly this may be what might be causing our problem.

However your comments would be apreciated because while the easy way out would be to say YES!!!!! this is the problem, an answer of how you came about that would be in order as well as the remedy in detail.

Thank you

Goober

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

If you do not want to post the URL and link to phpinfo publicly, then please fill out a support ticket.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gooberville
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  If you do not want to post the URL and link to phpinfo publicly, then please fill out a support ticket.

And what does that do? Truly the reasons I have come here are short of filling out support tickets the forums are here for answers that support tickets seem to fail on. One comes here and reads and posts in a forum such as this to get relevant answers that may help one or guide one into an approach that may work.

Support tickets end up in the where are you now file. That usually means when someone says that you are getting parsed out somewhere else that will more than likely get you a trip to the bug area.

We were hoping for answers to the problem and instead we get this. I think there have probably been many before us who have went the same path. I only pull a search on here with the smtp or php.ini file as my query and come up with dozens of similar reports of this same issue and nowhere is the answer found.

It always ends with a "ok I'll look at it and get back to you" or "its solved thanks" with no relevant answer tro why or what was wrong or how it was fixed. What I originally started to ask was is the remedy that was posted above a remedy? Or as in the bug report file BOGUS meaning that it was not a real help.

We would like to know before we close out the day. We have been at this since about 1am last night and we are still going.

Goober

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I am trying to help you. However I need to see the live phpinfo to do this. I can't force you to let us help you, but if you change your mind then please provide the info I requested.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Gooberville
                      • Apr 2004

Fixed:

Here was/is issue:

;Win32
                      SMTP = smpt.xxx.xxx.xxx

;Win32
                      sendmail_from = [email protected]

Should be

;WIN32
                      SMTP = smtp.xxx.xxx.xxx ; For Win32 Only
                      sendmail_from = [email protected] ; For Win32 Only

;WIN32
                      ;sendmail_from = [email protected]

That is all it took was just a few small changes in code in php.ini.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Goober

Comment

• Gooberville
                        • Apr 2004

And lastly before bed I say unto you those that brave these barren roads to VB. VB is a GREAT board made greater by the team that helps here. Even if they didn't get the answer they were there and encouraged me to continue to think it through.

And lastly I say DO NOT CHANGE VBMAIL() to MAIL() in any of the above steps in the above links that jodohost tried. Because IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!! It will return nothing but errors....

Glad I saved the files in backup folder because when the fan hit the s*it it was all errors all the way.

So DO NOT GO THAT DIRECTION.

The way we solved it was the way we did it above.

Goober

Comment

• cerebro
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

OMG Works....man you are the one!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...