Recreating child forums is exhaustive. Any easier way?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWatcher
    • Jul 2009
    • 3.8.x

Recreating child forums is exhaustive. Any easier way?

Hey

I'm new to Vbulletin and I'm just in the process of creating our forum and thread base. The idea of the site is to have a database to catalog information. The problem is, we have identical sub forums we need to input the same sub forums for different cities and countries (mainforums). Obviously entering 10 sub forums for every major city in North America is very time consuming and exhaustive and I was just wondering if anyone has any clue about how to do this faster?

Thanks so much
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That would require a custom script. Try checking over at the vB mod site: www.vbulletin.org
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TheWatcher
      • Jul 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks Steve

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

The general advice is to avoid such an approach because the multiple forums require way more overhead server-side and realistically their is a max amount of forums you can have before you need to upgrade your hardware. Also from a user perspective, unless you have the traffic for it, it also makes your site appear abandoned.

You may want to use Thread Pre-Fixes where each pre-fix would be the sub-forum catagory.

Forum: New York City
        [Topic A] How do I abc
        [Topic B] fdjfkljdsajfd
        [Topic C] fdsahknbfdasf

etc

The good news is that you can reuse these prefixes very very easilly. It also requires less over head on the server.

It keeps content together by forum but at the same time, users can filter by the topic if they wanted to.

You can also add a direct link to the filter on your forum index. You could, with a bit of tweaking, make it look like the subforum list or make it look one better.

Here are some examples of the links for the suggestion and feedback forum here on vb.com

BB Code
        Forums
        Permissions
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...