• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
    Actually, it's an opinion, due to the fact that some like vBulletin's ACP more than IPB's. I guess it might as well be a fact that IPB has a better default style, just because I think so.
    Did you happen to read everything I wrote?

Just because something is considered a fact by the majority does not mean it is a fact of which you personally believe in.

No, not an opinion but a fact. However, facts could be considered the opinions of the majority. Just like the "big bang" created the heavens & the earth, or that humans came from monkeys...I buy none of that bs - yet supposedly the majority do agree with it, or do they?

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by GHOwner
      But you are indeed debating, are you not?

To put it simple, vBulletin has a more professional look than IPB. Maybe it is the old style of forums, but the back end and overal product quality is something I pick instead of IPB.

If you want something different, get IPB. If you want something with the feel and power of a message board, use vBulletin.

(I personally hate the IPB User Profiles, to be honest)
      You ain't alone GHOwner the User Profiile sucks the life out of the Universe, and various alternative realities. Really really can't stand it, you can of course switch it to the traditional look.

First advantage I have come across with vBulletin over Invision, is the ease of moving a forum from where you installed it originally to a new folder. Yes already had to do that

Second is the built in help in the ACP, absolutely outstanding for those of us learning how to Administrate the product, full kudos to the coders for adding that in.

Do wish vBulletin had multi-quotes and multi-moderation though *huge hint to the development team*

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SbyD_Salient
        Do wish vBulletin had multi-quotes and multi-moderation though *huge hint to the development team*
        What do you mean by multi-moderation? As for multi-quote, what do you mean? vBulletin does have multi-quote functionality.
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

The button in between the quite and quick reply button, in a post, is the multi quote button.

multi moderation/
          vB has inline moderation, you can select posts from various threads, and move them all or delete them all. You can do the same with multiple threads from multiple forums. using the infraction system you can give points to a user for their actions, without enough points the user could get auto banned. There's also an option for an instant ban.

You have to be more specific with what you mean in order for us to say yes/no/coming/needsplugin.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

I am sorry, but I feel saying a skin is stable is pure nonsense. vBulletin's style has not changed since version 3.0 and doesn't have any issues rendering, and is getting proper support from the devs for older styles and has features for the latest browsers, and is very flexible for those who wish to change it without it effecting performance on a board directly, etc.

Please explain to me how you feel that vBulletin's style is not stable or not editable, or how IPB's one is more stable. I think it's fine if people provide feedback to explain why they want to switch or not, but just saying stuff like that without any ground or accuracy is not something I like to read; it gives a false impression.

Comment

• Chazel
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Discussions
              Did you happen to read everything I wrote?

Just because something is considered a fact by the majority does not mean it is a fact of which you personally believe in.
              Once you get me a statistic, then you'll be right.

Comment

• andiez
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gfc
                Sorry, that's childish fanboy-talk.

None of the new features added in 3.7 is a "killer". Most of the users won't use them and additionally most of them - like tagging, personal gallery etc. - have been available for a long time as mods..
                Hey, I'm a childish fanboy

Did you miss the bit about "community sites" in my original post? For a friendship/chat/networking board like mine the new features are a must-have and it's a lot better to have these things in the native vBulletin code than in Mods, i.e. compatibility and upgrading.

Comment

• Joshyyy
                  • Jun 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Discussions
                  What I posted was not knowingly incorrect and I stand behind what I said.

Nasa uses Invision.

nVidia uses Invision.

Yahoo uses Invision.

I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin.

Again, this is not a debate area for Vb-fanboys to spin things around. This is to answer questions. I gave my 100% honest and personal opinion. With facts.

If you or anyone has an issue with what I said, then post a huge company that uses vBulletin - one that can match up with either of the above three.

Steam/Valve Use vBulletin.
                  Many famous bands use vBulletin forum software aswell.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Honestly guys, who cares!!

IPB and vBulletin are both good boards in their own rights. It just comes down the personal preference which you choose to use. I mean some people even choose to use both!

All this which is best talk, is just widdly-piddly-diddly

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                      A good sign of the better software would be that IPB closed a thread of this very same discussion on their boards, mostly because their members we're getting pwnt.

About IPS Beyond being closed, it's either a sign of their service or their trying to copy vBulletin's joke - which only vBulletin can pull off.
                      Actually I can totally understand why they closed it. Look at this thread for example. Its utterly useless and pretty pointless. You have the VB fanboys claiming VB's godlike stance. These types of threads usually (and obviously long has) degenerate into flame wars. About which forum software is best and which is worst and why. Its not beneficial at all to any forum software, including VB. These types of threads are made frequently on both forums. And in both cases end up not going anywhere. They are just ways for the fanboys to have something to wank off to. Post this type of thread on IPB and you'll have people proclaiming IPB's godlike dominance over VB.

These types of threads could go on forever. And usually bear no fruit. So I understand why they would close them as it can create a hostile atmosphere. If people want to find out more about VB, ask here. If they want to find out more about IPB, post there. Then compare the 2. Try them both out. Choose which you feel would be better for your forum and its members. Don't be a sheep. There are way more than enough threads out there like this for people to read over. So why VB allows it to continue is beyond me. Its beating a dead horse. If someone starts a thread like this, just respond with a link of a VB vs IPB search and close the thread.

I do not see how threads like this are beneficial in any sense. All it does is allows the fanboys to try and slam any competing forum software. There is no benefit in that other than to further their own purposes.

Comment

• andiez
                        • Jan 2005

Why are members who state their preference for vBulletin "fanboys". The way I see it, this is an open thread and those members who prefer IPB are not only able to state their preference but have done so. Are those who state their preference for IPB not also fanboys?

In my very own personal opinion, IPB is best for business or company boards and vBulletin is best for community boards which is why I prefer vBulletin. Within those parameters, vBulletin will have much more appeal to a wider set of users than IPB!

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by andiez
                          those members who prefer IPB are not only able to state their preference but have done so. Are those who state their preference for IPB not also fanboys?

In my very own personal opinion, IPB is best for business or company boards and vBulletin is best for community boards which is why I prefer vBulletin. Within those parameters, vBulletin will have much more appeal to a wider set of users than IPB!
                          OK, here are a few preferences why I'm now using IPB instead of vB. But this is to take nothing away from vBulletin. I still like vBulletin and look forward to the new vB 4.0 version.

However, this is why I use IPB now.

1: Comes with a "better" Blog (my own opinion).
                          2: Comes with a fully integrated "Official" Gallery add-on (please don't compare Photopost (it's a 3rd party add-on).
                          3: Comes with a Download Manager add-on
                          4: Comes with a built in Portal that only needs to be activated to use and can display features taken from the Forum, Gallery, Blog, Download Manager.
                          4: Nicer default look, vBulletin's default skin looks too old in the tooth now. I know skins can be changed and some would argue "just get a new skin" - but I prefer to stay with he default look to avoid complications with upgrades. And IPB's is better, especially the new dark skin!

To sum up, if your looking for more than just a forum package, I think IPB offers what vBulletin can't. All fully integrated system that combines a Gallery, Blog, Download Manager, Portal, and Forum that all work great together as official products.

The biggest sway factor for me though was the "Gallery". I just don't see vBulletin ever creating there own fully blown gallery. If they do, it's going to be a long time coming - which I'm not prepared to wait to happen!
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 5 Dec '07, 7:32am.

Comment

• andiez
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MRGTB
                            OK, here are a few preferences why I'm now using IPB instead of vB. But this is to take nothing away from vBulletin. I still like vBulletin and look forward to the new vB 4.0 version.

However, this is why I use IPB now.

2: Comes with a fully integrated "Official" Gallery add-on (please don't compare Photopost (it's a 3rd party add-on).
                            4: Comes with a built in Portal that only needs to be activated to use and can display features taken from the Forum, Gallery, Blog, Download Manager.
                            4: Nicer default look, vBulletin's default skin looks too old in the tooth now. I know skins can be changed and some would argue "just get a new skin" - but I prefer to stay with he default look to avoid complications with upgrades. And IPB's is better, especially the new dark skin!

To sum up, if your looking for more than just a forum package, I think IPB offers what vBulletin can't. All fully integrated system that combines a Gallery, Blog, Download Manager, Portal, and Forum that all work great together as official products.

The biggest sway factor for me though was the "Gallery". I just don't see vBulletin ever creating there own fully blown gallery. If they do, it's going to be a long time coming - which I'm not prepared to wait to happen!
                            1. No such thing as a better blog or a worse blog. A good blog is a blog which can be used by members.
                            2. No it doesn't. It's an extra which needs to be bought, downloaded and installed just like any third-party add-on.
                            3. Don't need it for my community board.
                            4. Personal preference and different users will have different preferences.

Comment

• Dilly
                              • Mar 2005

Psst... 5 comes after 4.

Comment

• Booth
                                • Jan 2005
                                • 4.2.X

I went from Vbulletin to IPB because IPB had better profiles and a bit more modern look, but on using IPB for about 6 months I realized the following...

1) IPB profiles aren't really that well thought out. They could be great if the design was better.
                                2) The mod/hacks scene for IPB is miniscule compared to the Vbulletin mod/hacks scene.
                                3) The portal is nowhere near as good as vBadvanced (which is free).
                                4) The forums look a bit nicer than vBulletin but for some reason don't feel as homely for community forums. They seem more business-like.
                                5) No community bulletin plug-in.

So I went back to using Vbulletin. I wouldn't use IPB over vBulletin any more, vBulletin just seems better, despite it's slightly more retro look.

IPB blog is a bit better, the dynamic header in IPB is great as is the navigation. It's not that much better though, and vBulletin's blog is in its infancy. It'll get better.
                                Pleased Sheep Films - Independent Filmmakers
                                Blackburn Web - an online community for Blackburn in Lancashire (thanks to Mark B for the tips)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...