Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Just tried it out on XP, seemed pretty stable for me. Going to be installing it on Vista later, hopefully it will be just as smooth.
    Forums

Comment

• SNN
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Quillz
      Just tried it out on XP, seemed pretty stable for me. Going to be installing it on Vista later, hopefully it will be just as smooth.
      Yeah, seems just fine other than the dropdown stuff.
      The dropdowns for the thread are below "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread"

I'm glad this is only a beta browser for Windows

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Safari 3 (beta) runs fine on OS X.

That's the end of that!

Comment

• Kier
          Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
          • Sep 2000

I've installed it here and vBulletin.com looks the same on Safari 3/Win as it does on Safari 2/Mac

I have no idea how Apple plan to convince the Windows world to use their (in my opinion, totally sub-standard) browser, especially when it brings along its own font blurring routines, doesn't obey Windows styling and all the other wierdness that comes with trying to make an Apple app look like an Apple app on Windows.

Could it be that they plan to sneak the Safari installer into Quicktime downloads, as they did with iTunes?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Kier
            • Sep 2000

By the way, if you want to patch vBulletin to properly detect Safari for Windows (which 3.6.7 does not) then open up includes/functions.php then find this line:
            PHP Code:
            if (strpos($useragent'applewebkit') !== false AND $is['mac']) 
            and replace it with this line:
            PHP Code:
            if (strpos($useragent'applewebkit') !== false

Comment

• MrNase
              • Jun 2003
              • 3.8.x

Rumors say they brought out Safari for Windows because the iPhone also has Safari installed and it allows Windows users to make software for the iPhone.

btw. the iPhone doesn't have the Flash plugin.
              That's the end of that!

Comment

• Mazinger
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.7.x

That disable 'vBMenu' DHTML Popup Menus. The only things I see looking good in that browser are the buttons, input fields, scollbars... etc
                $post[signature]

Comment

• JakeS
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kier
                  I've installed it here and vBulletin.com looks the same on Safari 3/Win as it does on Safari 2/Mac

I have no idea how Apple plan to convince the Windows world to use their (in my opinion, totally sub-standard) browser, especially when it brings along its own font blurring routines, doesn't obey Windows styling and all the other wierdness that comes with trying to make an Apple app look like an Apple app on Windows.

Could it be that they plan to sneak the Safari installer into Quicktime downloads, as they did with iTunes?
                  vB Development Blog? hmm .

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                    • Sep 2001

Also note the navbar changes.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• JakeS
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                      Also note the navbar changes.
                      I think that could be due to no scripts are running.

Comment

• Kier
                        • Sep 2000

The navbar looked different because vB.com doesn't have the fixed version of functions.php that detects Safari/Win - therefore the popups are not shown.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kier
                          Actually, it is something like this.

According to the Keynote, iTunes sells a million songs per day and Firefox only gets 500,000 downloads per day or something like that. So they plan on promoting Safari as the browser of choice everytime someone buys a song. It will probably be included as an Automatic download in Apple Update as well since iTunes is whether you have it installed previously or not. So if someone isn't looking and see and update for Quicktime and just click install, they'll get the Quicktime update, iTunes and Safari. All in a nice virus like package.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Cromulent
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Actually, it is something like this.

According to the Keynote, iTunes sells a million songs per day and Firefox only gets 500,000 downloads per day or something like that. So they plan on promoting Safari as the browser of choice everytime someone buys a song. It will probably be included as an Automatic download in Apple Update as well since iTunes is whether you have it installed previously or not. So if someone isn't looking and see and update for Quicktime and just click install, they'll get the Quicktime update, iTunes and Safari. All in a nice virus like package.
                            I doubt that very much. You need Quicktime when you install iTunes but Safari is not required.

Comment

• fastforward
                              • Nov 2000

Originally posted by Cromulent
                              I doubt that very much. You need Quicktime when you install iTunes but Safari is not required.
                              You don't need the Google Toolbar to run the Sun Java JRE, but it's bundled in the download and requires unchecking a box to prevent the install. There's dozens of similar examples out there.
                              http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cromulent
                                Even now when you go to download Safari for Windows it is Quicktime + Safari. I don't have iTunes installed on my PC and don't want iTunes installed on my PC. I do want Quicktime because I like to watch videos and even though I prefer just to use Windows Media Player, some sites force you to use Quicktime. However because I have Quicktime installed and want to know about updates for it, I get bombarded with demands to download and install iTunes every three days as well. I can't imagine them changing that practice since the beta download process seems to confirm it already.

I just hate when companies try to force you to download something.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...