Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marocnl
    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by renep
    But what does that mean? Even if you honour all decisions of the original, it still needs to be translated in Dutch and make sense to Dutch-speaking people.

I hope you're not suggesting to translate 'avatar' to 'incarnatie' and 'thread' to 'draad'
    Heh. Yes and no. As the creators chose to use a mythical notion from Hindi, I would say to do so as well... Avatar = Avatar.

As for thread. I would use 'draad' indeed. Thread is not a notion in English and should be translated IMHO. (Thread in English sounds just as weird for English people as 'draad' in Dutch would sound to Dutch people.)
    :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment

• marocnl
      • Aug 2002

If I were to just install your translation on a 3.6 forum now, what awful death awaits me ? Doesn't it just work? Or has no one tested this yet?

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

I don't understand what happened Floris. I don't see this in the release on our website. I see "één", properly encoded in ISO-8859-1 as specified in the xml declaration.
        It is what I downloaded from the site.
        I use TextMate on the Mac to view it.

The production release of the new Dutch Translation (1.0) for vB 3.5.x is there Again created by Ysolde Bentvelsen, native Dutch speaker and certified translator English>Dutch. Enjoy!

The improvements from 0.1 to 1.0 are:
        • The moderation menu that (super) moderators see in the forum is now translated. We overlooked that functionality in 0.1.
        • 'Avatar' is now translated as 'schermafbeelding' instead of '(fantasie)afbeelding', as more or less agreed in this thread.
        • Various improvements in the signup form for a usergroup.
        • Fixed a few typo's and such.
        You can see this translation in action in the forums in my sig.

We still expect to release our translation for vB 3.6 by september 12. The usual disclaimers apply.
        We don't permite remote linking to language packs.
        We desire to review each one before posting them on our site.

Please submit it in the download submisison forum for staff review.

Thank you for your hard work.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
          • Apr 2003
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by marocnl
          Do I understand correctly that no one has volunteered to translate the buttons? 'typisch' as said in Dutch .

I am (extremely) busy myself until mid-September. But I will try to translate those IF I have the time. Please don't let this stop anybody willing to translate as well, for chances are that I might not have that time.
          I want to translate them if you want. Where are the .PSD files?
          http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
          The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• marocnl
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Eagle Creek
            I want to translate them if you want. Where are the .PSD files?

There are 2 versions. Layered and unlayered alpha-something PSD

Comment

• Eagle Creek
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.6.x

Working on it right now .

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                • Apr 2003
                • 3.6.x

I have just put them to the submisison forum .

Comment

• Grover
                  • May 2001
                  • 3.8.x

But what does that mean? Even if you honour all decisions of the original, it still needs to be translated in Dutch and make sense to Dutch-speaking people.

I hope you're not suggesting to translate 'avatar' to 'incarnatie' and 'thread' to 'draad'
                  I agree with Rene. As I wrote in this discussion earlier it is in fact a very welcome change that we do not have to confront our members of our dutch sites with the term 'thread' again! Finally we have got rid of it. 'Discussie' is the only appropriate term, and the Applinet translation uses this. The word 'thread' (or 'draad' if you translate it) is not a common used term on the internet in the Netherlands, so why would one want to use this term?

Also, I am pleased that the term 'Avatar' is changed from 'fantasie-afbeelding' to 'schermafbeelding', because I believe that people who are not familiar with internet-forums have no idea what an Avatar is.
                  When I first started using forums, I did not know either. My site has a fair amount of members that do not speak/understand english well and they are more or less computer illiterate. So 'schermafbeelding' (like used by MSN) is much more clear to them then 'Avatar'.

I think Applinet has done the right thing to translate it exactly like it is now.
                  How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Grover
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grover
                    I think it would prefer it if ALL admin/modfunctions are just in english, aswell on the frontend as the backend?

I wonder how it will work now, with the moderator-functions in the frontend being translated, but not in the backend (shouldn't it be consistent : either translate ALL moderatorfuntions (backend and frontend) or translate nothing?).
                    That's the one.
                    Those English phrases in otherwise Dutch pages looked somewhat silly.

I know we'll now probably get the flip-side of the coin in the modcp (Dutch phrases in English pages). We'll see.

Hi Rene,

I have provided my Moderators with manuals (from threads and documentation on vbulletin.com and also stuff written by myself). ALL of those manuals/instructions are in english. Well... at least those manuals refer to Admin/Mods-functions in their english translation. If these Moderator-functions are suddenly translated to Dutch on the frontend, I have to change ALL the references to those functions inside my manuals...

Would you be so kind to provide us with a screenshot (I can't install the pack yet) of how the Moderation dropdown looks at the moment? I am curious to find out how it looks/works now.

At the moment I think I would prefer it if ALL Admin/Mod functions are not translated into Dutch.

Awaiting your screenshot ,
                    Last edited by Grover; Wed 16 Aug '06, 11:41pm.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.6.x

At this moment the admin control panel is a little bit messed up.. You can see Dutch phrases anywhere .

But ok.. I'll just browse the forums in 100% English, like I always did. I guess you can't prevent the ACP from doing this because it's using the same phrases at the board does.

Comment

• Grover
                        • May 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Eagle Creek
                        At this moment the admin control panel is a little bit messed up.. You can see Dutch phrases anywhere .

But ok.. I'll just browse the forums in 100% English, like I always did. I guess you can't prevent the ACP from doing this because it's using the same phrases at the board does.
                        Like I said before, I never really understood why Jelsoft does not provide the option to split the user-side and admin/moderator site of things when you translate your board. So all we can do now is live with this.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                          • Apr 2003
                          • 3.6.x

Like I said before, I never really understood why Jelsoft does not provide the option to split the user-side and admin/moderator site of things when you translate your board. So all we can do now is live with this.
                          No problem, isn't your fault .

I'm browing all my boards in English so I don't have to adapt .

(I don't know how the dutch buttons are? I've made them but still waiting for reply)

Comment

• djr
                            • Sep 2001
                            • 3.6.x

There's a simple product over at vb.org where you can manually set the AdminCP and ModCP to English while browsing the forums in Dutch (or any other language). I'm using this for my own forum and it works perfectly.

Link: Different Language for AdminCP and ModCP
                            - highly ill, but always intelligent -

Comment

• Grover
                              • May 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by djr
                              There's a simple product over at vb.org where you can manually set the AdminCP and ModCP to English while browsing the forums in Dutch (or any other language). I'm using this for my own forum and it works perfectly.

Link: Different Language for AdminCP and ModCP
                              Does it work in VB 3.6?

I still wish Jelsoft could do something about splitting the user-interface and admin/mod-interface when translating a board. Really, most boardowners will prefer the admin/mod functions in their original english translation and at the same time want the user-functions in their native language.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                                • Apr 2003
                                • 3.6.x

Does it work in VB 3.6?

I still wish Jelsoft could do something about splitting the user-interface and admin/mod-interface when translating a board. Really, most boardowners will prefer the admin/mod functions in their original english translation and at the same time want the user-functions in their native language.
                                I agree!

And I have no problems with browsing the board in English.. But still.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...