what is birthday_search for in the 'user' table?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scowby
    • Jul 2006
    • 3.5.x

what is birthday_search for in the 'user' table?

I am looking at the 'user' table in VBulletin 3.5.4.

There is a field in there birthday_search. What is it for? I can't seem to find ANY reference to it in the code, yet when I update my user profile the field gets updated.

What's the difference in birthday (which is stored as a VARCHAR) and birthday_search (stored as a DATE)? Why are there two items which store the same information?

Thanks for any pointers!!
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Date fields can be used with the various date and time functions inside queries, so they are easier to search.

Comment

• scowby
      • Jul 2006
      • 3.5.x

birthday_search

Well, I understand the concept of a DATE datatype being searchable, etc, etc.

I'm just wondering why vBulletin stores the date of a user in two different formats, rather than just one and doing a conversion into text via .php.

It seems that I'm missing something here - or maybe not - and I want to make sure of what it is. Any vBulletin programmers that can help me understand what the difference between these two fields are and how they're used in the underlying system?

Thanks much!

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

It is just a method of caching, similar to the datastore.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...