X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heynurse
    • Feb 2001
    • 3.6.x

google adsense and vbulletin

I'm using googles adsense (www.google.com/adsense) nd it seems to be doing fairly well on most of our standard webpages and displaying relevant ads for the page content. But for some reason, on nearly all my vb pages, adsense is just delivering public service announcements (zero revenue).

I e-mailed googles support and here is what they said:
    I am sorry for the difficulty you are experiencing with the AdWords ads published to your Google AdSense account.
    I have reviewed your account and found that irrelevant ads are appearing on your web pages due to a problem with the session ID attached to the dynamic URL. Since this session ID changes, and therefore the URL changes, every time a different user views a page it will not be in the index and will be queued to be crawled. Once the URL is crawled, however, the session will most likely have expired. This means that pages seen by the users are never in the index.
    I have implemented filburt1's Have Googlebot Crawl EVERYTHING (theoretically) Hack at:

But not sure that this will solve the problem either?

Has anyone figured a way around this problem? If so, I'd love to hear any solutions. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
    Last edited by heynurse; Fri 1 Aug '03, 12:02pm.
  • vB3Dev.Com

I know someone who used their adsense on a major site and never made more than $3.

It is a waste!

Comment

• Tolitz
      • Dec 2000

Works quite well with the vB Easy Archive hack tho ... earning almost 20 times more than that $3 figure... the relevance makes the clickrate more frequent ... it's an excellent ad service, IMHO...
      Last edited by Tolitz; Fri 1 Aug '03, 12:56pm.
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• Kathy
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

I use google adsense successfully on my site and the ads that are showing up are Very very appropriate to the content of my pages.

I had the "spider hack" installed on my site as "archive hack" and google crawler is on my site daily, picking up new threads and delivering great content ads.

I make a lot (lots lots lots!) more than $3.00. Lots more..... +some.

I'm very happy with adsense and grateful for the additional income.
        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• rylin
          • Jan 2001

adsense works great for us
          all you have to do is make sure the sessionhash isn't appearing for google bots, and preferably not in the urls of your users
          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
          That forum

Comment

• Mainer82
            • Apr 2003
            • 1.1.x

I'm using it on my site too. Works good. I just need people to click on it more....

Comment

• JdS
              • Sep 2002
              • 3.0.0 Gamma

The 'road-to-riches-tip' was revealed here:

..and preferably not in the urls of your users
              If over 90% of your forum traffic is off search engines like mine is, it makes more sense to remove session ids for guest views, rather than for your members.
              J de Silva
              GIDForumsâ„¢ | GIDSearchâ„¢ | GIDNetworkâ„¢

Comment

• heynurse
                • Feb 2001
                • 3.6.x

Wow, thanks for all your responses!

Call me clueless, but how do you remove session ids for guest views? Thanks

Comment

• rylin
                  • Jan 2001

Anyone who visits my site is considered to be a user
                  basically, google checks the exact same url your visitors see. therefore, making sure google doesn't see sessionhashes wouldn't help if your users would still have them in the url..
                  That forum

Comment

• ChillyBob
                    • May 2002

I have the same problem as heynurse, any help would be appreciated

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

version 3 of vbulletin has this fixed I believe. (*take fixed with a grain of salt)

It recognizes the google bots and also doens't give it the session hash.

Comment

• Mainer82
                        • Apr 2003
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by xiphoid
                        version 3 of vbulletin has this fixed I believe. (*take fixed with a grain of salt)

It recognizes the google bots and also doens't give it the session hash.
                        That is great. I hope it works out good for AdSense and being spidered.

Comment

• MarkB
                          • Apr 2001

Applied for Adsense this morning (and will put the ads on my archive pages and at the bottom of our main forum pages)... here's hoping it's a decent earner! I'm not sure how many relevant advertisers they'll have for our site.

Comment

• rylin
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by MarkB
                            Applied for Adsense this morning (and will put the ads on my archive pages and at the bottom of our main forum pages)... here's hoping it's a decent earner! I'm not sure how many relevant advertisers they'll have for our site.
                            As long as you don't just have spam, it'll have something.
                            We've been getting ads for MSN, AOL, music labels, dvd stores, games-on-demand, forum hosting etc.
                            You won't see the ads on the first try though.

When someone requests a page with a google ad on it, google will schedule a crawling of the page.
                            When it's crawled it, it'll be more relevant.

That said, it's not perfect - yet.
                            Having written up a small review on the latest Our Lady Peace album (mentioning CD, rock etc.), it's still giving us free banners.
                            Probably just too much noise in the text for now, but it's definitely an interesting approach
                            That forum

Comment

• MarkB
                              • Apr 2001

Interesting - thanks for the info, okidoki

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...