X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dugchugger
    • May 2007
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Issue upgrading Blog when updating vBulletin from 3.8.4 to 4.0.6

I disabled the vBulletin Blog plugin on the advice of the upgrade documentation (disable plugins between major updates). At this point of the upgrade (see below), there was a problem with the installation. Should I continue on and fix this later or is there something I should do now? Should I not have disabled vBulletin Blog?

vBulletin 4.0 Upgrade System
    (Please be patient as some parts may take some time)

Step 5) Install/Upgrade Blog (Step 5 of 8)
    Step 5) Install/Upgrade Blog

Installing product file...

The following dependencies were not met:

Product was not installed, please contact vBulletin support for assistance.
    Click the button on the right to proceed.
    ~ duggy
  • dugchugger
    • May 2007
    • 4.2.X

I submitted a support ticket for this and got a reply while I was sleeping. It takes a while to get in queue (not complaining, the response time is adequate imho) but I'm wondering if once your ticket has been addressed if the replies are a little quicker in coming? Been waiting a couple of hours now since my last reply to them.
    ~ duggy

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

You can try, manually disabling all mods but the Blog then try the upgrade script - a thought.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
      Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• dugchugger
        • May 2007
        • 4.2.X

I thought about that. It seems logical, but logical doesn't always work for me. :-)

Still waiting 4 hours since the last reply to my ticket, but the response was to ask me if I had uploaded the files over my previous ones (which I did) including the blog files. The 4.0.6 download didn't come with any blog files, so this perplexes me.

I'm still sitting at the upgrade screen waiting for an answer to my first question in the ticket as to whether or not I should click proceed or...?
        ~ duggy

Comment

• reefland
          • Sep 2000

Did you take a backup of your database and files prior to beginning the upgrade? If so, I would proceed and see what happens. If it fails then revert and try option 2. If you do not have a backup, I do not have any good advice for you although I think backing out of the process is not an option either.
          sigpic
          Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by dugchugger
            I thought about that. It seems logical, but logical doesn't always work for me. :-)

Still waiting 4 hours since the last reply to my ticket, but the response was to ask me if I had uploaded the files over my previous ones (which I did) including the blog files. The 4.0.6 download didn't come with any blog files, so this perplexes me.

I'm still sitting at the upgrade screen waiting for an answer to my first question in the ticket as to whether or not I should click proceed or...?
            Wait a minute.. You said it did not? So you have the SUITE version i.e. the more expensive one right? If NO and you only have the forum version then the Blog is not included so naturally it will not upgrade an independent Blog product from an older version into a newer version not including the Blog .

Suite = CMS (Home Page), Forums, and Blogs.
            Forum = Forums Only.

Let's make sure because I overlooked the [Forum] prefix to your thread and that makes sense now so let us know what you have going on .

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• dugchugger
              • May 2007
              • 4.2.X

Yes I do have the forums version. I was able to proceed -- and luckily support confirmed that that was what I was supposed to do. I didn't realize that the blogs don't work with the 4.0 versions though... ugh. I think next week (when I get paid) I'm going to upgrade to the suite. I guess I'll have to research the feasibility of implementing the old blogs to the new suite, if at all possible.

So the upgrade finished, but now I'm looking at a forum with html links only. Obviously I've mucked something up. Could this have to do with custom templates that were not over-written because they're custom? i.e. if I revert to the default ones from 4.0 do you think this will fix the issue?

btw Superman "innovationbyinstinct" is an uber cool name.
              ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
                • May 2007
                • 4.2.X

I guess it wasn't the custom templates as they were all automatically replaced by the new default template. As near as I can figure the css isn't being accessed properly. If that makes any sense. Man I need some coffee.
                ~ duggy

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                  • Sep 2008

I guess it wasn't the custom templates as they were all automatically replaced by the new default template. As near as I can figure the css isn't being accessed properly. If that makes any sense. Man I need some coffee.
                  Hmm...

Try these tips:

1. Delete ALL of your old vB3 styles. Check it now?
                  2. Check to see how you have CSS storing in templates i.e. the CSS Templates or files?
                  More info here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/s...er_css_as_file
                  *In vB4 it's Settings > Options > Style & Language Options. Now refresh and?
                  3. Rebuild the styles - AdminCP > Maintenance > Update Counters - Now look for "Rebuild Styles" then select what you want and click "Rebuld Styles" I typically choose both some choose not to renumber if it does not work the first time try it again with both checked.
                  4. .htaccess file? If yes temp rename it i.e. .htaccess123 etc and refresh?
                  5. Any old vB3 mod still installed and active can also cause an issue it really depends on the mod, you can uninstall but first check the mods on vb.org for an updated version as some mods you uninstall delete the data associated but if they have an upgraded mod it might use the old data and simply do just that update the mod .
                  6. Check to make sure you url is correctly set in
                  AdminCP > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details

Find setting:

Forum URL
                  URL of your forum.
                  Note: do not add a trailing slash. ('/')

That's all I can think of for now but give them a try one by one report back if anything works.

Comment

• dugchugger
                    • May 2007
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
                    2. Check to see how you have CSS storing in templates i.e. the CSS Templates or files?
                    More info here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/s...er_css_as_file
                    *In vB4 it's Settings > Options > Style & Language Options. Now refresh and?
                    If you could read my mind, you would see it's a very scary place.

I initially checked to see how the css was set up and was satisfied that I had it set up as files and had an existing clientscript/vbulletin_css. After reading your suggestions, I tried switching it back to not setting it up as files and BADDA BOOM it worked! Who woulda thunk it?

Thank you BIG TIME for taking the time to point me in the right direction... it was greatly appreciated!

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I got a little distracted along the way and fixed some other things that caught my eye.

Cheers!
                    ~ duggy

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

If you could read my mind, you would see it's a very scary place.

I initially checked to see how the css was set up and was satisfied that I had it set up as files and had an existing clientscript/vbulletin_css. After reading your suggestions, I tried switching it back to not setting it up as files and BADDA BOOM it worked! Who woulda thunk it?

Thank you BIG TIME for taking the time to point me in the right direction... it was greatly appreciated!

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I got a little distracted along the way and fixed some other things that caught my eye.

Cheers!
                      I'm up late too and glad you have things working, it always seems to be one setting or something out of place that's simple enough to fix .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...