Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swisscotton
    • Feb 2008

[Forum] Human Spammers all of a sudden.

I am having a problem with HUMAN spammers all of a sudden. I have stopped bots by putting in a security question now I am overloaded with human spammers that register and post as if they are a member with a link in their signature that is spam linking to electrical devises and other bits and pieces. I have put in a reCAPTCHA and also an Akismet key (not sure what this does) but it hasn’t stopped it. How can I stop this as we have loads, probably several everyday.
    My site has always had an issue with spammers and i would like to tackle this issue because it’s getting on my nerves. The odd one or two is forgiven and normal but I am getting masses, and yes i am on the latest vb.
  • punchbowl
    • Nov 2006
    • 4.0.x

moderate new member posts?

or maybe

disallow signatures until after x posts - you can do that through the promotions system

plus there are mods over at vb.org

Comment

• CK
      Banned
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by swisscotton
      I am having a problem with HUMAN spammers all of a sudden. I have stopped bots by putting in a security question now I am overloaded with human spammers that register and post as if they are a member with a link in their signature that is spam linking to electrical devises and other bits and pieces. I have put in a reCAPTCHA and also an Akismet key (not sure what this does) but it hasn’t stopped it. How can I stop this as we have loads, probably several everyday.
      My site has always had an issue with spammers and i would like to tackle this issue because it’s getting on my nerves. The odd one or two is forgiven and normal but I am getting masses, and yes i am on the latest vb.
      Check that you have human verifaction turned on for unregistered/not logged in. Ditch reCaptch and switch to question and answer which is much more effective.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...