vBulletin 4.1.1 already? what about vBulletin 4.1.0 Gold Status?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

vBulletin 4.1.1 already? what about vBulletin 4.1.0 Gold Status?

Bug tracker inform us that there is 4.1.1 version of vbulletin, and some bugs already assigned to this version.
    Does that mean there is already fixed date set for release of 4.1.0? If so - can you give us info about it?

Originally posted by Don Karuma
    The vBulletin team is very excited to announce the availability of vBulletin 4.0 Gold. The release includes vBulletin 4.0 Forums and the all-new vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite. As of today, these are officially supported products that are eligible for both ticket support and phone support.

What does Gold signify?

Gold signifies that this version of the software is stable, robust, and ready for production environments, when installation best practices are followed. See Wayne's article on upgrading:

Gold signifies simple forward compatibility with future releases.

Gold signifies our commitment to provide support on the powerful new platform.

As is the case with all complex software, we strongly recommend following installation best practices when migrating/upgrading. We will also offer specific best practices for migrating big boards in the next few days.

How did we get to Gold status?

We have extensively tested the product and are confident that we have eliminated all known “show stopper” issues. During the last few months, we have released alpha versions, five beta versions, and four release candidate versions. Through this rigorous process, we have addressed issues that would interfere with normal site operations. Remaining open issues are essentially cosmetic in nature and will be addressed as deemed appropriate in subsequent releases—as is always the case with our releases. To learn more about how we got to Gold status, see this article by our CTO, Joe Rosenblum: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...etting-to-Gold
    So, what is new meaning of "gold" release? This is previous announcement was not really close to reality, at least in terms of "stability" and "compatibility" (styles, etc)

And will you do beta testing externally, or it will be only internal testing?
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif
  • alexp999
    • Aug 2010
    • 4.0.x

Afaik, all it means, is that some issues/requests are being defered until version 4.1.1.

If they accepted every issue/request for the current version being worked on, it would never come out

Comment

• jonsidneyb
      • Mar 2006

Hmmm,

The meaning of the gold release? I don't know what gold means anymore.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jonsidneyb
        Hmmm,

The meaning of the gold release? I don't know what gold means anymore.
        So you would have honestly been happier if the software had been called Beta all this time, and nobody would be entitled to any support whatsoever for running it?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• DJ RRebel
          • Jul 2002
          • 3.6.x

Ace .. support isn't the issue .. IB could certainly choose to support any version they want .. but the quality of vB4 as it stands is BETA!

It certainly does not merit Gold status! My hopes is that vB4.1.2 or vB4.1.3 might be what was deserving of the "Gold" status of the past!

Don't get me wrong ... I do think vB4 is actually a superior product to previous versions .. but there are still ongoing issues that need to be solved!

Lim .. Unless the vB team has been working overtime miracles in secrecy, don't expect a "Gold" worthy 4.1 until the new year! (Note .. they might release a 4.1.0 "Gold" just before then, but if it's anything like 4.0.0 "Gold" it certainly won't be of "Gold" quality!

PS .. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong!
          Support the option to have forums in social groups:
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093

Comment

• himselfone
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DJ RRebel
            the quality of vB4 as it stands is BETA!
            My hopes is that vB4.1.2 or vB4.1.3 might be what was deserving of the "Gold" status of the past!
            Don't get me wrong ... I do think vB4 is actually a superior product to previous versions .. but there are still ongoing issues that need to be solved!
            Well said, couldn't put it better myself. +rep
            vBulletin was just way too rushed and more time and planning should have gone into it. The results are clearly huge as well as a lesson to IB (namely that they tried to release a new product quickly expecting massive sales and hype, but what they got was the reverse. Due to a sub-standard product riddled with bugs, customers have wondered over to the dark side...IPB).

Anyway I'm not hating on IB, infact I just bought a vB4 license the other week and if there bugs weren't so numerous I'd be extremely happy. vBulletin itself may have deterred from what it used to be and may look like it's going in the wrong direction, but i think vB is gonna kick ass as soon as it's more stable and as soon as obvious/industry standard features (eg. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-3490) are implemented.

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ace
              So you would have honestly been happier if the software had been called Beta all this time, and nobody would be entitled to any support whatsoever for running it?
              Yes, I would have.
              At least then people would not have paid top dollar for joining a public beta exposing their community to thousands of bugs.
              And the financial incentive to get the beta up to Gold status would have been there.
              There would also have been no need for the select group of beta testers to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement.
              And it would also not have been necessary to end the vb3 license renewal option and thereby force people into buying vb4.

I think this would have been more honest and it would have saved this place from a lot of negativity.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Name-calling posts removed. I would have thought people knew better.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mikoo
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 3.8.x

... I am very sorry to tell you, but you guys from IB really have messed it all up. After almost a year of fiddling around with your so called "gold edition" all you have achieved is that most of your customers are fed up with your work - all around the world (especially in Germany). You will have realized that there is light at the end of tunnel - for us customers, and time to say good bye to you and to my lost money. XenForo is lightyears ahead -and I and many, many other customers will move to XenForo, as soon as it is released.

It really is a sad, sad story... I lost my money, but you will lose the game in the end.

Comment

• Regs
                    • May 2001
                    • 4.2.X

Don't be sorry mikoo, using humour is a great way to introduce yourself to the community (or even saying goodbye)

Comment

• GamerPerfection
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 4.2.X

I'm satisfied with vB4. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
                      So the Gold release may not have been to some people's "gold" standard, boo hoo.
                      Yeah there's lots of bugs but bugs come with everything, especially when it's software. That's why we have maintenance releases.
                      So you may think it's not very stable, boo hoo, but from where I am sitting it seems stable enough.

So you say you're going to move over to XenForo when it's released... whoopdie doo. There's no need to tell everyone on this forum.
                      And you say many, many other customers will move also, and that comment is based on what? I'm certainly not interested in looking elsewhere.

If you don't like the current situation then instead of coming on here and saying i'm going to XenForo when it's released why don't you just go and wait for the release. I come to this forum to read about updates to vB, bugs, and other people's discussions regarding vB. I don't come here to read people promoting other forum software.
                      http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

• Alfa1
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Clarkey. You're the only user online on your forum, so if its fine from where you are sitting, that vb4 has over 1.600 confirmed bugs, then please mind that this is different from having an active forum where many will complain.
                        This is exactly why its good to see another 100 bugs fixed. It brings vb4 a little closer to becoming usable out of the box. I really hope that 4.1 will substantially bring the number of bugs down.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• GamerPerfection
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                          Clarkey. You're the only user online on your forum, so if its fine from where you are sitting, that vb4 has over 1.600 confirmed bugs, then please mind that this is different from having an active forum where many will complain.
                          This is exactly why its good to see another 100 bugs fixed. It brings vb4 a little closer to becoming usable out of the box. I really hope that 4.1 will substantially bring the number of bugs down.
                          I was commenting about people coming on here and promoting other forum software and saying they will be moving over to them. What does that serve by pointing it out?

I'm glad that another 100 bugs have been fixed. But how is moaning that the gold release was not gold going to help?
                          http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Clarkey
                            I'm satisfied with vB4. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
                            So the Gold release may not have been to some people's "gold" standard, boo hoo.
                            Yeah there's lots of bugs but bugs come with everything, especially when it's software. That's why we have maintenance releases.
                            So you may think it's not very stable, boo hoo, but from where I am sitting it seems stable enough.

So you say you're going to move over to XenForo when it's released... whoopdie doo. There's no need to tell everyone on this forum.
                            And you say many, many other customers will move also, and that comment is based on what? I'm certainly not interested in looking elsewhere.

If you don't like the current situation then instead of coming on here and saying i'm going to XenForo when it's released why don't you just go and wait for the release. I come to this forum to read about updates to vB, bugs, and other people's discussions regarding vB. I don't come here to read people promoting other forum software.
                            Your site:
                            Threads 247 Posts 639

My site:
                            Threads: 76,129, Posts: 1,113,602

Now size isn't everything, I accept that, but for the umpteenth time we have someone with a nearly-empty forum proclaiming vB4 as wondurful.

I'm sorry, but it's not. There are SO many experienced webmasters of sites, many much bigger and busier than mine, who won't touch it with a bargepole. And many other who have, regret it, and had to hack it to bits to make it usable.

THAT SAID:
                            A very smart looking implementation of vB4, it has to be said. Nice work.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• mikoo
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Clarkey
                              I was commenting about people coming on here and promoting other forum software and saying they will be moving over to them. What does that serve by pointing it out?

I'm glad that another 100 bugs have been fixed. But how is moaning that the gold release was not gold going to help?

To put it short: I got all rights to complain about this product because I paid for it almost a year ago and I did not get what IB promised to deliver (instead they delivered bugs and bugs and bugs). It is so full of bugs you cannot even sell a licence for half the price at the moment - simply no one is interested in buying it. I am not promoting any other software as such, I am pointing out that it is possible to produce a good product in a reasonable range of time. And: It is produced by the former lead developer of vbulletin - whose ideas were apparently not good enough for IB. And what´s more: I do not have to promote it at all... on the contrary.
                              After almost a year I am not willing to help or to please anyone with my comments, neither you nor anyone else. If you are happy with vbulletin - congratulations, this is just the quality you obviously deserve. Have fun!
                              Last edited by mikoo; Fri 13 Aug '10, 12:37am.

Comment