• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoVAmike
    • Jul 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] SMTP with vBulletin 4.0

Hey guys,

I am trying to use Google's SMTP server to mail registrations from my forum.

I have enabled the php extension, php_openssl.dll in php.ini in C:\php and C:\windows

Rebooted the server and IIS 6.0 several times, checked the PATH also, everything looks fine.

If I opt to use the php mailer, go to Diagnostics and send a test email, it waits and waits and eventually times out.

If I use SMTP smtp.gmail.com, the following results come up:

The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail. The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?) in [path]\includes\class_mail.php on line 637

Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in [path]\includes\class_mail.php on line 603

I have scavenged the internet for two days trying to find a solution for this, but endless pages of non answered questions and "what if" situations that I have also read.

Why is the PHP mail not sending? Also, whats the issue with googles SMTP, I can ping the SMTP server just fine and I have also ran a php file that checks connection to Googles servers and those were OK...

Please help!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...