4.0.3 PL1 Image resize failed due to inability to obtain image size.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zelnik
    • Aug 2008
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] 4.0.3 PL1 Image resize failed due to inability to obtain image size.

11505-gustar09.pdf: Image resize failed due to inability to obtain image size.

Whenever someone tries to attach an attachment they get the following error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it was working and then stopped. Imagemagik seems to be working just fine on another application that it uses on my site.
  • zelnik
    • Aug 2008
    • 4.2.X

Also auto resizing avatars doesn't work either

What is the temp directory all this uses, so I can check chmod?
    Last edited by zelnik; Fri 28 May '10, 3:41am.

Comment

• ffaat
      • Mar 2010

I came here after searching for that phrase. I'm seeing the same issue with 4.0.3 PL1 as well.

edit: with jpg file, not pdf. Sometimes there is no error, just no thumbnail file, so in the post it falls back to the filename.

-Rob A>
      Last edited by ffaat; Fri 28 May '10, 10:33am. Reason: added more information

Comment

• zelnik
        • Aug 2008
        • 4.2.X

Checked on my test site which doesn't have addons enabled and it running 4.0.3 (not pl1) and it does the same.

Host says nothing has changed their end with imagemagick

Comment

• twitch
          • Apr 2005
          • 4.2.x

same problem with my site

Comment

• Lifeinitaly
            • Apr 2007
            • 3.6.x

I am having the same problem - Did anybody found a solution yet ?
            Thanks

Comment

• Mycologist
              • Oct 2009
              • 3.8.x

After months of it working, I too am experiencing this error. Any solutions yet?

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

What do you get in maintenance > diagnostics > upload?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• ffaat
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Lynne
                  What do you get in maintenance > diagnostics > upload?
                  I get
                  file_uploads: On open_basedir: None safe_mode: Off upload_tmp_dir: None upload_max_filesize: 7.00 MBand
                  No errors occurred while opening the uploaded file for reading.

-Rob A>

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ffaat
                    I get
                    file_uploads: On open_basedir: None safe_mode: Off upload_tmp_dir: None upload_max_filesize: 7.00 MBand
                    No errors occurred while opening the uploaded file for reading.

-Rob A>
                    Your issue is only with jpgs? You get told "Image resize failed due to inability to obtain image size." whenever someone tries to upload a jpg and then you get no thumbnail? All other image types work fine? What type of image processing library are you using? Have you tried rebuilding thumbnails?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• ffaat
                      • Mar 2010

Your issue is only with jpgs? You get told "Image resize failed due to inability to obtain image size." whenever someone tries to upload a jpg and then you get no thumbnail? All other image types work fine? What type of image processing library are you using? Have you tried rebuilding thumbnails?
                      It happens only with some jpeg files, not all of them. It seems quite random. COuld it be related to the server loading? Also, annecdotally, it seems to happen more often for those using the AJAX file uploader than the old one.

-Rob A>

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ffaat
                        It happens only with some jpeg files, not all of them. It seems quite random. COuld it be related to the server loading? Also, annecdotally, it seems to happen more often for those using the AJAX file uploader than the old one.

-Rob A>
                        Have you looked in your error_logs? There should be something in there when this happens and it should help you figure out the problem.

Comment

• zelnik
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 4.2.X

Have you looked in your error_logs? There should be something in there when this happens and it should help you figure out the problem.
                          Hi Lynne,

Wanted to revisit this issue. I have contacted my host (who specialize in vb hosting) and they said they have no issues there.

I've switched ImageMagick back on and it worked for the couple of test jpgs I tried so thought it had fixed itself but today my users are saying they can not upload new avatars etc. So I've had to revert back to GD..

I'm using vb4.0.7 now btw.. Also where is this error_logs?!?! I've looked in the admincp under the logs category and nothing there?

Thanks
                          Last edited by zelnik; Mon 18 Oct '10, 3:00am.

Comment

• zelnik
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Found the error_logs and no error what so ever concerning the above issue.

Comment

• Lynne
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Oct 2004

Nothing in the error_logs? That is pretty strange unless some issues don't get put into the log. (And, no, they are not in the admincp, they are server logs usually in a directory on your server.)

So, you were able to upload some files, then started getting the error again? Where you getting the error with the same images that you had just been able to upload successfully or with different images?

Comment