Forum choppy and slow with Firefox but good with Chrome and IE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Aug 2003

[Forum] Forum choppy and slow with Firefox but good with Chrome and IE?

Firefox just does not run well on my site but Chrome and IE are great. Any idea?
  • Jacob_ITAPros
    • Apr 2010

Try including the browser version info in your post. Also, what's your OS and version? Have you disabled all of your browser plugins? Rebooting your OS into safe mode and trying then? I use all 5 of the major browsers, all of them up to date, on a Win7 x64 OS and the only browser that sucks for me is Internet Exploder 8 because it can't render CSS like the big boys do.
    Jacob
    IT Automation Professionals
    www.ITAutomationPros.com
    [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Originally posted by Jacob_ITAPros
      Try including the browser version info in your post. Also, what's your OS and version? Have you disabled all of your browser plugins? Rebooting your OS into safe mode and trying then? I use all 5 of the major browsers, all of them up to date, on a Win7 x64 OS and the only browser that sucks for me is Internet Exploder 8 because it can't render CSS like the big boys do.
      Firefox 3.6.3

And it's many users complaining about it. I just tried disabling some plugins, no differnece.

So, it isn't just me, it is most of my users with Firefox.

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
        • Apr 2010

Then it would be interesting to find other common denominators in this case to find the source. I know you want a solution but it could take a little research. Have you tried taking a poll among those affected to gather information to find out what the commonalities may be? Like OS and version including service packs, even things like which browser is set to default, are all pages affected or only one? Is the site being accessed via bookmark or manually typing the domain name in? Have you uninstalled FF and reinstalled? Maybe getting all those things may mean nothing, but one of them could mean everything.
        Jacob
        www.ITAutomationPros.com
        [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Then it would be interesting to find other common denominators in this case to find the source. I know you want a solution but it could take a little research. Have you tried taking a poll among those affected to gather information to find out what the commonalities may be? Like OS and version including service packs, even things like which browser is set to default, are all pages affected or only one? Is the site being accessed via bookmark or manually typing the domain name in? Have you uninstalled FF and reinstalled? Maybe getting all those things may mean nothing, but one of them could mean everything.
          Manually or bookmark has no effect, same thing.

One of the member having this issue is running Vista 64, I'm running 32.

So not sure what it could be.

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
            • Apr 2010

Ok, well, try researching here:

Jacob
            www.ITAutomationPros.com
            [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Thanks, going to give some of those suggestions a shot.

So you think it is Firefox and CSS rendering that is the issue?

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
                • Apr 2010

Hard to tell without a screenshot. The way you described it is that the CSS isn't being rendered appropriately. This is somewhat of an assumption on my part, but if you find your answer here, then mission accomplished. If not, you may want to do some "homework" and poll all of those who are experiencing the same and see if you can find a common denominator.
                Jacob
                www.ITAutomationPros.com
                [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Hard to tell without a screenshot. The way you described it is that the CSS isn't being rendered appropriately. This is somewhat of an assumption on my part, but if you find your answer here, then mission accomplished. If not, you may want to do some "homework" and poll all of those who are experiencing the same and see if you can find a common denominator.
                  Give it a shot yourself: http://www.bimmerboost.com/forum.php

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
                    • Apr 2010

IE Version 8: Check
                    FF 3.6.3: Check
                    Safari 4.0.5: check
                    Chrome 4.1.249.1064: Check
                    Opera 10.53: Check

As far as I can tell everything checks out fine for me with all up to date browsers. I will say this, the average load time for your forums section on all browsers was 6.241 seconds from the first byte received until last. That wasn't FF specific and does seem pretty slow overall. But as for your specific FF issue, I can't duplicate according to your current description.
                    Jacob
                    www.ITAutomationPros.com
                    [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

IE Version 8: Check
                      FF 3.6.3: Check
                      Safari 4.0.5: check
                      Chrome 4.1.249.1064: Check
                      Opera 10.53: Check

As far as I can tell everything checks out fine for me with all up to date browsers. I will say this, the average load time for your forums section on all browsers was 6.241 seconds from the first byte received until last. That wasn't FF specific and does seem pretty slow overall. But as for your specific FF issue, I can't duplicate according to your current description.
                      Hmm... then I would have to say it is just an issue I have to pin down for the users and myself who have it.

At least I know now it isn't everyone with Firefox and that is good, thank you. Did you try scrolling at all and it was smooth?

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
                        • Apr 2010

Ok I CAN duplicate this. I installed the "Smooth wheel" plugin and it was a aweful. I'd get a headache from that. It's not really slower than the other browsers,but more accurately described as the screen refresh rate being lowered and there is a subtle "jitter" to the text upon scrolling. The scroll also appears to have a small delay to it which I also do not get in other browsers. I completely disabled this plugin and it was fine again.

One more time, did you disable all of your plugins\addons?
                        Jacob
                        www.ITAutomationPros.com
                        [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Ok I CAN duplicate this. I installed the "Smooth wheel" plugin and it was a aweful. I'd get a headache from that. It's not really slower than the other browsers,but more accurately described as the screen refresh rate being lowered and there is a subtle "jitter" to the text upon scrolling. The scroll also appears to have a small delay to it which I also do not get in other browsers. I completely disabled this plugin and it was fine again.

One more time, did you disable all of your plugins\addons?
                          I just double checked to make sure, disabled all plugins and addons, still have the problem. I did not have the "smooth wheel" plugin but you are describing is EXACTLY the problem. It is the refresh and jitter to the text, that is it!

Comment

• Jacob_ITAPros
                            • Apr 2010

Got it. In FireFox, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced. Uncheck Smooth scrolling. In fact just mess with those settings under the "browser" section until you find the right answer. Apparently the scrolling in FF is messing with your page.
                            Jacob
                            www.ITAutomationPros.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

• Aug 2003

Got it. In FireFox, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced. Uncheck Smooth scrolling. In fact just mess with those settings under the "browser" section until you find the right answer. Apparently the scrolling in FF is messing with your page.
                              Heh, I thought smooth scrolling would be the problem too but it wasn't. Still the same, hehe, really weird, eh? I don't want to waste more of your time with this as you have been very helpful.

Maybe I should just try reinstalling it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...