Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chubzilla
    • Jan 2007

[Forum] Myself and all my forum members are locked out

I'm running the most current release of VB 4. Today out of nowhere myself nor any of my members log into the forum. I;ve tried everything. signing up a new user, using tools.php etc......it keeps telling me the password is invalid, and the same to my members? What can I do?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Are you sure you haven't been hacked? Have you talked to your host at all and asked him if he has done any maintenance on your forum lately? Have you looked at your access_logs (or error_logs)? (If you don't know where they are, ask your host.)

Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
    Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
    define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 

When you say you've tried tools.php - exactly what option in tools.php did you try?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Chubzilla
      • Jan 2007

i registered a new account and used tools.php to make that name have admin access. I tried logging into the admincp and it keeps telling me invalid password. if I was hacked, waht can i do?

Comment

• Chubzilla
        • Jan 2007

this is all i see from my error logs

2010-04-19 22:53:34.544 [INFO] [68.37.123.245:53499-0#APVH_postgamepub.com] File not found [/home/postgame/public_html/404.shtml]
        2010-04-19 22:52:51.062 [INFO] [68.37.123.245:53476-0#APVH_postgamepub.com] File not found [/home/postgame/public_html/404.shtml]
        2010-04-19 22:47:35.501 [INFO] [HTAccess] Updating configuration from [/home/postgame/public_html/.htaccess]
        2010-04-19 22:43:24.787 [INFO] [68.37.123.245:53062-0#APVH_postgamepub.com] File not found [/home/postgame/public_html/404.shtml]

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

it depends on how the hacker gained access. But you haven't answered any of the questions I asked except the one about tools.php, so I don't have any clue if you were hacked or this is some other problem.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Chubzilla
            • Jan 2007

disabling hooks, does nothing to change the situation and there was no server maint done by my host urljet

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

Try changing the cookie path in your config.php file, then try logging in / resetting the password.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Chubzilla
                • Jan 2007

i reset the cookiepath via the tools.php menu to blank. What should I change it to in the config file?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

sorry, I'm half asleep -- I meant to say you should change the cookie prefix to something new like xb.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Chubzilla
                    • Jan 2007

tried it, didn't work.

I just keep getting invalid password. Even when requesting the forum to send me a new password, it says the password it provided me is invalid. Am I going to have to reinstall the forum? I have a database file of my users prior to the hack, but not the threads or posts.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

You should open an official support ticket at this point. Be sure to include ALL the info, including ftp and phpmyadmin info.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

He did open a support ticket. So, he is being helped in the ticket now.

Comment

• Budget101
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3.7.x

First go to: www.ismyforumdown.com & see if you can create a test account & login to your forum.

If you can't: If you're hosting with URLJET, just submit a help ticket and have them restore it, they keep Hourly Back-ups of all their Customers. They also will be able to check your logs to see how/where/if someone else gained unauthorized access.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...