Recent Activity widget stuck on CMS after upgrade. Does not update.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HondaATC
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Recent Activity widget stuck on CMS after upgrade. Does not update.

Does not update with recent posts. Have already cleared the CMS cache. Please advise.
    Vote for these items in the tracker: Image Watermarking ----- Search Algorithm Sucks ----- Drop Main CSS section from style manager ------ Simplify process to accept pending group join requests ------ Add option to publish to the wall of a "Fan Page" in addition to the user's personal FB wall. ------ CMS Should physically resize images into thumbnails and not scale via CSS
  • Gargi
    • Jun 2008

I noticed the same problem. But refreshing under Firefox almost works and only after doing so I also see changes on Internet Explorer 8. It also differs wether if you are logged in or not. Very strange issue.

cu
    Gargi

Comment

• vivamexico55
      • Mar 2005

Same problem, any solutions?

Comment

• Harv
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.1.x

Same problem here.

Comment

• vivamexico55
          • Mar 2005

The behavior I see is:

1. IF it's your first time visiting the site, the widget acts properly. If a post was made in the last minute, for instance, it will say "1 minute ago by Joe".

2. If you reload, it won't update new posts anymore. If there have been 20 new posts since you first visited, if you reload it will say "15 minutes ago by Joe".

3. Clearing the CMS cache renews the widget and it displays new recent posts, but it goes back to not updating.

Comment

• Harv
            • Jan 2005
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by vivamexico55
            The behavior I see is:

1. IF it's your first time visiting the site, the widget acts properly. If a post was made in the last minute, for instance, it will say "1 minute ago by Joe".

2. If you reload, it won't update new posts anymore. If there have been 20 new posts since you first visited, if you reload it will say "15 minutes ago by Joe".

3. Clearing the CMS cache renews the widget and it displays new recent posts, but it goes back to not updating.
            That's exactly my situation, with one other quirk - if I'm not logged in, and some 'recent' posts are showing (they do EVENTUALLY update - nowhere near fast enough to even be functional, but they do) - once I log in the list reverts to even older recent posts.

I've wrestled with it until I am blue in the face, to no avail. It's a huge problem for me as many of my users go back to "home" and read new posts from there. Seeing no new posts, they leave.

Comment

• vivamexico55
              • Mar 2005

Yes, this happened to me right at the release of VB 4.0, and I've been looking for the solution but I can't find it. What I remember is that I edited a template related to this widget, or perhaps even the php file itself, I remember I changed only 1 number to make it update faster. At least I think that's what I did.

So it appears that particular bug has come back.

Comment

• vivamexico55
                • Mar 2005

Note: There are a couple of new widgets (New Threads / New Posts) that seem to work, however they look pretty ugly compared to the original Recent Activity Widget. But you might want to use that while we figure out where we went wrong.

Comment

• Harv
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by vivamexico55
                  Note: There are a couple of new widgets (New Threads / New Posts) that seem to work, however they look pretty ugly compared to the original Recent Activity Widget. But you might want to use that while we figure out where we went wrong.
                  They are very ugly and include part of the post.. ugh.

Edit: I'm not a big believer in fate, but after posting to this thread I received an email announcing VBAdvanced just released 4.0 Gold. Hmmm.
                  Last edited by Harv; Mon 19 Apr '10, 12:03pm.

Comment

• vivamexico55
                    • Mar 2005

Well, there's also a PHP widget in VB.ORG, however I dont really trust PHP widgets.

The "Newest Posts" widget also seems broken since it doesn't want to take me to the particular post it links, it only takes me to the thread, even if I use the provided button. ""

Comment

• HondaATC
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 4.1.x

Mine is still acting this way as well, I've got a support ticket open with 2 other issues being investigated. This is low priority compared to those. When they are solved I'll bring this issue up as well.
                      Vote for these items in the tracker: Image Watermarking ----- Search Algorithm Sucks ----- Drop Main CSS section from style manager ------ Simplify process to accept pending group join requests ------ Add option to publish to the wall of a "Fan Page" in addition to the user's personal FB wall. ------ CMS Should physically resize images into thumbnails and not scale via CSS

Comment

• Harv
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 4.1.x

I just installed VBadvanced (you can install with no ill effects, AFAIK, just don't rename cmps_index.php to index.php)

It's pretty sweet if you are used to VBA. Latest posts are updated instantly.

Comment

• janaf
                          • Dec 2009

Three weeks later; same problem with the latest 4.0.3 PL1, it only updates the list after a (manual) cache refresh.

Any solutions around?

I note that the Recent Posts widget has a cache refresh time setting, defaulting to 5 minutes, but no such setting for the Recent Activity widget.

Like many others I prefer the Recent Activity listing, with thread title.
                          Last edited by janaf; Mon 10 May '10, 10:30am.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 5.5.x

Please check your index update settings (admincp > settings > options > message searching options > queue search updates). If that is set on, you MUST, repeat MUST have an active queue processor process. If this is currently on I would switch it off and update the indices (admincp > maintenance > update counters > rebuild search index).
                            Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• janaf
                              • Dec 2009

Thanks Edwin!

So
                              • turn off queue search updates (it was off, leaving it off)
                              • run rebuild search index once
                              Then things should be OK...

Other readers; If the above does not help, I will post here again

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...