How to remove a member, but not delete them or their posts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldford
    • Jul 2003

How to remove a member, but not delete them or their posts?

Every so often I get a user that wants to leave the site and asks me to remove their account. They don't want their posts deleted. They just want to leave.

So what's the best way to do this? I'd like to log them out, remove all their subscriptions & notifications, and disable PM's & emails.

Is there a way to do this, maybe with usergroups? I can manually go in and edit their account, but thought there might be an easier way.

Thanks.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

If you just delete them, then their posts don't get deleted. When you delete them, it will take you to a second screen and ask:
    Are you sure you want to delete the user called 'xxxxx'?
    (userid: x)

All posts made by this user will be set to 'Guest'

This action cannot be undone.
    And under the Yes / No button it says this:
    If you want to prune all the user's messages first, please click here.
    So, if you don't click the button to prune the messages, then they will all stay there with the username (which will no longer be clickable to go to a profile).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• oldford
      • Jul 2003

Sorry. I should have clarified that I want them to have the option to come back again, so deleting them won't work because it breaks the connection to their username.

Comment

• cbiweb
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.1.x

What I did was create a usergroup called "Account Disabled". Any member who wants to be deleted gets put into that group. Their user name is changed to something like Guest001 (each one increments to the next number: 002, 003, etc) , their password is changed to a random string of characters, and their email is changed to a non-existent address. To keep track of who was who, I keep a list in the Administrator Notes section of the AdminCP, noting the username and which guest number they are (i.e., Guest 001 = cbiweb), and what their email address was.

If/when you want to "undelete" the member, simply reverse the changes you made to their account.
        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment