HOW DO I change the default FONT SIZE for ALL POSTS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

[vB4] HOW DO I change the default FONT SIZE for ALL POSTS?

HOW DO I change the default FONT SIZE for ALL POSTS?

I am lost. I need to increase the font size for member posts from the small default size (it looks like 11pt to me) to something larger, like 13.5 or bigger.

Please post point-by-point steps from my Admincp so I can find and change.

Thanks so much,

David
    (New to VB4)

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Did you try the stylevar "font"?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• David Copeland
      • May 2000

Originally posted by Lynne
      Did you try the stylevar "font"?
      I tried looking in the stylevar area through my Admincp, but there are many, many, many items that have the word "font" after it, and I do not know which item controls the text size in the posts. Can you help?

I went to admincp >> Styles & Templates >> Style Manager >> VB4 Default Style >> Stylevar >>and typed in FONT in the search (which gave me too may to guess at.

Can you help?

David

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Most of the stylevars for the postbit are under the heading "postbit" and there is one called postbit_msg_font (and when you click it, the title is Postbit Content Font). That is the first one I would try changing.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• David Copeland
          • May 2000

Most of the stylevars for the postbit are under the heading "postbit" and there is one called postbit_msg_font (and when you click it, the title is Postbit Content Font). That is the first one I would try changing.
          That did the trick, Lynne! Thanks so much!

Comment:
          It appears the default size is already 13, and so I found that increasing it to 16 is the size our members want for easier reading. In the earlier VB3 software, the default size was arounf 10-11, and incresing it to 13.5 gave us the look we wanted. So with VB4, it is probably the choice of the Font Style that determines what the Font Size will look like at 13 or 16.

Question:
          I need to change more font sizes because there are other areas where the text change did not take effect. Should I remain in this thread to ask you? Or should I author separate threads for each of the following questions?

What are the names of the Stylevar features that control the font sizes for:
          1. Quick Reply Box
          2. Advanced Post Reply & Preview
          3. Thread Title (which appears when looking at just the forum)
          4. Forum Names (which appear under the Category)
          5. Forum Category

Again, thanks so much for all your help. Perhaps this thread will help other owners to easily increase the font size for their member's viewing experience.

David

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

It could be you are mixing up your px and pt. They are different.

I would strongly suggest reading this article and then you may be able to find the stylevars yourself - HOW TO Find what Stylevar you need to edit

Comment

• AaronS4PG
              • Jan 2010

Changing default postbit_msg_font makes it so the BB code font is too big

I have the opposite need of David's.

I changed the postbit_msg_font from default of 13px to 11px because I wanted our default text to be smaller. But now if the user selects the BB Code for Size, like then size 2 is bigger than default.

I cannot find where to set what the editor's size= number actually sizes it to.. for example, maybe I'd want
              default size to be 11px
              size=1 to be 9px
              size=2 to be 10px
              size=3 to be the default 11px
              size=4 to be 11px
              size=5 to be 12px.

Can anyone provide a little guidance on how to assign these values to the editor's size values?

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Unfortunately, they use the <font> tag to set the size for the bbcode (why?!?!). So, it is html that sets that. You can find it in th file class_bbcode.php. I suppose you may be able to change the way it is parsed there? Not really sure as I haven't tried that before.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• AaronS4PG
                  • Jan 2010

Unfortunately, they use the <font> tag to set the size for the bbcode (why?!?!). So, it is html that sets that. You can find it in th file class_bbcode.php. I suppose you may be able to change the way it is parsed there? Not really sure as I haven't tried that before.
                  Yes, that is what I figured out. VB was using the oldstyle font size=x instead of the CSS. This is a bit silly considering it seems like the rest of the entire vb system is based on px size settings in the CSS configs.. (at least this is how I understanding it, I've been out of web design for 5 years now so I'm quite rusty)...This site says usage of the font tag is deprecated. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_FONT.asp

In my mind I classify this as a design flaw. Unless someone can offer me a solution I guess I should open a feature/bug request to have it improved?

It is kind of annoying when my default front size is smaller than the size=2 BB code setting. I kind of wanted size=3 to match my default of 11px, giving the user the option to go 2 sizes smaller or 2 sizes bigger.

Anyone got any other ideas?
                  Last edited by AaronS4PG; Sun 14 Feb '10, 12:30pm.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

I agree that this should be entered into the bug tracker if it isn't already in there.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• AaronS4PG
                      • Jan 2010

I agree that this should be entered into the bug tracker if it isn't already in there.
                      I'm not sure if it was in there, but I posted it http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=36734

Comment