X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bogley
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

Avatars and Attachments not importing

Before my import, I've moved my "attachment storage type" from database to File System. I've created my tmp folder, and it is chmod 777

I've got 33,000 attachments.

When at the attachment importing stage, I put in my correct original directory which is /var/www/vhosts/bogley.com/httpdocs/forum/files

But during the import process all I see is "Failed :: Attachment not importedattach file 2" and it does not list the attachment name, but it counts through all 33,000 attachments.

I know the path is correct because when I try something else, I see (I forget verbatim) "source file not found" and it lists the attachment name.

I've been successful in my past practice attempts, and I must be forgetting something this time. Any help?

Thanks.
  • ciaba
    • Oct 2009

same problem

Comment

• bogley
      • Dec 2009
      • 3.8.x

nobody?

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

Try mentioning what source system it is.

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• bogley
          • Dec 2009
          • 3.8.x

clean import
          phpbb 2 to vb 4.0.1
          importing attachments - Failed :: Attachment not importedattach file 2

Comment

• bogley
            • Dec 2009
            • 3.8.x

bump.........

Comment

• ngergel
              • Feb 2010

same for me. From phpBB2 to vB 4.0.1 - same problem

Comment

• bogley
                • Dec 2009
                • 3.8.x

I've been told by Zachery to install 3.8.4, do the import, and then upgrade to 4.0.1. This is what I'll try tonight. Kind of a nightmare, I've wasted hours upon hours trying this. I would set something, attempt the import which goes through all 33,000+ of my attachments, see that it wasn't working right from the start, and have to wait for them all to cycle through.

Then I'd try another setting.... do the whole process some 20 minutes later.... and then another. I tried different tmp files in different places in my FTP server, looked all over my server settings to see if a tiny step was overlooked. 3 support tickets later, and I'll end up trying a tip I got from a forum.

If the 3.8.4 - upgrade method works tonight, most of my frustration will be eliminated, but not all of it.

Comment

• ciaba
                  • Oct 2009

clean import
                  phpbb 3 to vb 4.0.1
                  if I set attachments stored in filesystem -> importing attachments - Failed :: Attachment not importedattach file 2
                  if I set attachments stored in DB impex says the attachments are imported and i can finish the migration but after rebuilding threads and forums information I still don't have attachments in my post
                  after a while I found all attachments (about 2600 files) in the first post of my forum, and there is no reason they are there!

I can't believe a commercial software can be so bugged, i'm very very disappointed

Comment

• bogley
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 3.8.x

SOLUTION

Roll back to vb 3.8.4, import attachments (and everything) and then upgrade.

I haven't done the upgrade back up to 4.0.1 yet, but I ASSUME it will work still.

I am using the file system to store my attachments, just created a file named "files" under "images". chmod'd it to 777 - attachments imported FLAWLESSLY. First try. (Well, make that the 47th try) Seriously, I bought my license back in September and have been on a goose chase.

No offense to the developers, I appreciate the hard work and the quality of the software, but it seems like the whole vbulletin support team should be on the same page with this.

Impex may import the attachments in the database storage method for 4.0.1, but it does not yet import attachments into the file system storage method.

I know you rely heavily on feedback, so I hope I'm not ranting too hard, your work is appreciated. Just had to get that out there.

Comment

• ngergel
                      • Feb 2010

Thanks for solution. Seems I'll try to import to database, and then which to filesystem.

However, I'd like to ask developers if there are any timelines for fixing this bug with 4.0.1 and ImpEx?

Comment

• Lt. Dan
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bogley
                        SOLUTION

Roll back to vb 3.8.4, import attachments (and everything) and then upgrade.

I haven't done the upgrade back up to 4.0.1 yet, but I ASSUME it will work still.

I am using the file system to store my attachments, just created a file named "files" under "images". chmod'd it to 777 - attachments imported FLAWLESSLY. First try. (Well, make that the 47th try) Seriously, I bought my license back in September and have been on a goose chase.

No offense to the developers, I appreciate the hard work and the quality of the software, but it seems like the whole vbulletin support team should be on the same page with this.

Impex may import the attachments in the database storage method for 4.0.1, but it does not yet import attachments into the file system storage method.

I know you rely heavily on feedback, so I hope I'm not ranting too hard, your work is appreciated. Just had to get that out there.
                        I rolled back to 3.8.4 because I couldn't get attachments to import from 3.7.1 to 4.x. Well, I still have the same problem. It tells me source file not found. Am I putting the path in wrong? I'm using an absolute http://www.xxxx.com/images/atachments path which seemed to work fine for avatar imports.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• bogley
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
                          I'm using an absolute http://www.xxxx.com/images/atachments path which seemed to work fine for avatar imports.
                          I've never been able to import my attachments using the http:// address, I've always had to use the server path (if that's the correct term)
                          example /var/www/vhosts/bogley.com/httpdocs/forum/files

On another note, 4.0.2 is available now. Has anybody tried importing directly from phpbb 2 to this, or will we still need to go through 3.8.4?

Comment

• bogley
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 3.8.x

any update? This is pushing back my "Go Live" date... originally this weekend. At this point, I'm greatly fearing the thought of rolling back to 3.8.4, importing, then reconfiguring my whole board in 4.0.2. I'm afraid I'd have to shut my board down too long for that whole process.

Comment

• Lt. Dan
                              • Oct 2005

I finally got it to work. Had to use the absolute server path which for me was something like hom/~user/www/forum/images/attachements/ etc...

Imported great after that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...