X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golg
    • Jan 2010

[Forum] Can't download attachments past 2mb - VB staff can't help

Hi,
    At my wits end here. VB support blames it on a "server" problem, but I had no issue running 3.8.4 before I upgraded to 4.0. Also they fail to even indicate what a server problem is - I'm even willing to pay for support to have this resolved but it appears they don't offer that. Before I scrap this install and move to another platform that offers support I figured I'd post here and see if anyone else had any ideas.

When I download any file over 2mb, the download stops at 2mb. I can upload larger files (5mb ,etc) as I always have. Again, everything worked FINE before I updated. Sometimes even I search for these attachments in the AdminCP (without downloading) i get a similar DB error.

Everytime I download an attachment > 2mb I get this error message.

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.0:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT SUBSTRING(filedata, 2097152 + 1, 2097152) AS filedata
    FROM filedata
    WHERE filedataid =;

MySQL Error : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3
    Error Number : 1064
    Request Date : Friday, January 8th 2010 @ 07:33:54 PM
    Error Date : Friday, January 8th 2010 @ 07:33:56 PM
  • jhabers
    • Nov 2009

do you have your attachments stored in the DB? if so try moving them out of the DB....Just a thought. I had problems with attachments and 4.0 with large attachements in the DB, moved them out and it works fine

jon
    Maxum Boat Forum / Computer Repair Cary NC

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Are you running php as an ISAPI filter? or as cgi/fcgi ?

Comment

• golg
        • Jan 2010

Yes - attachments are in the DB. Im not familair with moving them out...

No - PHP is not an ISAPI filter or cgi

Comment

• jhabers
          • Nov 2009

ACP > Attachments > Attachment Storage Type - thats where you can move them to the filesystem

Comment

• golg
            • Jan 2010

I suppose I'll try this - hopefully this workaround resolves the issue

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

How is php running on your machine then? If you're using IIS it has to be one of the two..

Comment

• Clickfinity
                • Jul 2007

This isn't a physical limit set on your SQL server is it? Have you checked both your PHP and SQL settings, and are you running versions that are compatible with 4.0?

Cheers,
                Shaun
                --
                CycleChat | GeeksChat | Clickfinity

Comment

• golg
                  • Jan 2010

Hi,
                  Thanks for the suggestions on attachments. I have moved them all from the DB to the filesystem and now they download as should.

I wish VB would have really listened to my problem instead of just copying/paste answers to issues and then asking me to file a bug report...This is a paid for product, not an opensource one where customers should be required to file their own bug reports.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

golg, its our operating proceedure to check everything out, that isn't normal by a long shot and leads us to believe that it is an issue with the server. Honestly I've never even heard of an issue like yours until I saw your thread and ticket. Putting in a bug report gets a developer to look into the issue. I also responded here, but I am glad you got it fixed via workoarund.

Comment

• anv2010
                      • Jan 2010

Hello.

I experience the same problem exactly. See my bug report at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=35344

A Question: If I move the attachments out of DB and to the file system ( I'm running Apache on Linux). Then, could someone download an attachment file directly, using a direct link, bypassing the vBulletin security?

Thank you.
                      Last edited by anv2010; Sun 17 Jan '10, 9:08am.

Comment

• jhabers
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by anv2010
                        Hello.

I experience the same problem exactly. See my bug report at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=35344

A Question: If I move the attachments out of DB and to the file system ( I'm running Apache on Linux). Then, could someone download an attachment file directly, using a direct link, bypassing the vBulletin security?

Thank you.

Not if you put the directory in a parent folder to you public_html folder

Comment

• anv2010
                          • Jan 2010

jhabers,

Thank you!

Best.

Comment

• golg
                            • Jan 2010

First of all, why should a PAYING customer have to file a bug report. That should be the job of support, NOT the customer.
                            2nd of all, I can't even fully register on the appropriate forums to do so. The members registration link never sends me an email. And if it doesn't send you an email you're supposed to email "support".
                            Lastly, the response I got from support was so arrogant and condescending I never want to use vbulletin products again, let alone try getting support.

To put closure to this story, I actually got an email from a developer the other day stating it IS a bug, and it will be fixed in 4.0.2.
                            So much for vbulletin "support". They treat vbulletin like an open source project for their support model, but charge for licensing. I guarantee one thing, we'll be moving our platform to something else in the not to distant future.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

We ask you to file a report because it is your issue that you are able to replicate. We do not have access to your server, or any other information the developers may need to look at to fix or address a system specific bug.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...