Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecoast
    • Jan 2010

[Forum] Should I downgrade?

I'm new to vBulletin, mainly attracted by the clean, simple member profile pages. I'm using it in conjunction with a joomla-powered site, connected with jfusion. I have about 600 registered members with profiles on Community Builder, a joomla extension, which I want to replace.

Anyway... I assumed that by paying $200 for vb4.0 I'd be getting a really professional, pretty much flawless product, ready to use without a lot of extra work fixing bugs and so on. But after working with it for a few days, and now reading the forums, it seems to me that vb4.0 is still very much a work in progress, with dozens of little bugs and things that don't work quite like they are supposed to.

Add that to the fact that there as yet are few mods available for 4.0, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just uninstall the damn thing and start over using 3.8.

My questions: Is 3.8 pretty solid? Does anyone have any comments -- pro or con -- on using 3.8 instead of 4.0, for a brand new user who mainly wants nice-looking member profiles with minimum hassle...

Thanks.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by spacecoast
    My questions: Is 3.8 pretty solid? Does anyone have any comments -- pro or con -- on using 3.8 instead of 4.0, for a brand new user who mainly wants nice-looking member profiles with minimum hassle...
    It is solid.Use it instead of the buggy 4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• PamelaE
      • Feb 2005

3.8/x is great. Use that and wait for the next release of 4.0 around 21st Jan. Not long to wait.

Comment

• setishock
        • Jun 2005
        • 4.2.x

If you're wanting a bit of a challenge then keep hammering away at vb 4.0. Sure it's not perfect but it's light years ahead of 3.8 and I love 3.8.
        Joke > So if you like beating your head on your desk after a hardy round of chasing undocumented features (otherwise knows as bugs) then keep vb 4.0.
        A word of caution, when beating your head on your desk try to avoid your keyboard. The desk top makes a smooth even bruise. You can tell your buddies you were crushing Foster beer cans on your forehead.
        The keyboard leaves a waffle pattern that will require some lingual finesse to explain. < End joke
        All joking aside, vb 4.0 is all new code so there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Set up a test site and play around with it. It gets easier as you go along.

Comment

• spacecoast
          • Jan 2010

Thanks guys! Decided to switch to 3.8 for the time being...

Comment

• PamelaE
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by setishock
            If you're wanting a bit of a challenge then keep hammering away at vb 4.0. Sure it's not perfect but it's light years ahead of 3.8 and I love 3.8.
            Joke > So if you like beating your head on your desk after a hardy round of chasing undocumented features (otherwise knows as bugs) then keep vb 4.0.
            A word of caution, when beating your head on your desk try to avoid your keyboard. The desk top makes a smooth even bruise. You can tell your buddies you were crushing Foster beer cans on your forehead.
            The keyboard leaves a waffle pattern that will require some lingual finesse to explain. < End joke
            All joking aside, vb 4.0 is all new code so there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Set up a test site and play around with it. It gets easier as you go along.
            I am loving 4.0 as well, I think it is so much better than 3.8.

Spacecoast it all depends if you can live with the bugs in 4.0, I have not found any critical issues. Can you not set up a test version of 4.0 and get it looking right for your needs.

Its a learning curve so its a good idea to play around with it before rolling it out to your users. I have spent hours the past week working it out, its quite addictive

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...