Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacobsen1
    • Dec 2007
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] wanna see just how bad vb4 is with ie6?

here you go:
    Originally posted by KC

Yeah, it's that bad.
    this was done by one of my members who is ALLOWED to browse at work and CAN'T upgrade to later versions due to software incompatibility with newer versions (from other developers who don't like to play nice with ALL versions of software, sound familiar?). Looks like MOST of the issues are .PNG -vs- .GIF issues, so how do we swap those out? From there how do we fix the time/date issue (I might have it fixed thanks to a span issues that member brought to my attention, he hasn't replied back yet) and how do we fix the pagination?
  • SuperGLS
    • Nov 2004

Oh yeah, I know. It's look absolutely nasty. Take a look at mine.

However, I've read that IE6 is perhaps the worst browser ever released (for various reasons including security, bugs, not adhering to web standards, etc). Couple that with the fact that it's been over 3 years since IE7 has been available there is really no excuse for single users to be using IE6. With that said, the screenshots I just posted come from my job (a county government) and we can only use IE6 (running Windows XP only as well) and there is nothing we can do about it. One of my members from my site has the same problem.

But, if YouTube doesn't support IE6 then I'm not going to either. People will deal with it. The main thing is that you can still check threads and posts even if it looks like throw up.

Comment

• vivamexico55
      • Mar 2005

However, I've read that IE6 is perhaps the worst browser ever released (for various reasons including security, bugs, not adhering to web standards, etc). Couple that with the fact that it's been over 3 years since IE7 has been available there is really no excuse for single users to be using IE6. With that said, the screenshots I just posted come from my job (a county government) and we can only use IE6 (running Windows XP only as well) and there is nothing we can do about it. One of my members from my site has the same problem.

But, if YouTube doesn't support IE6 then I'm not going to either. People will deal with it. The main thing is that you can still check threads and posts even if it looks like throw up.
      So you say "No excuse for users not to upgrade" yet you work in a place where they will not allow you to upgrade? Hm.

Also, I kind of agree with your Youtube comparison, except that most of us aren't Youtube, so retaining traffic is important.

Comment

• SuperGLS
        • Nov 2004

What I meant was that people using their home computers have no excuse not to upgrade to IE7 or IE8 (or better yet FF, Chrome, etc).

Ideally people should be working at work. But if they aren't, and can't change their browser due to limitations from their business/organization/company/etc then they can deal with how ugly it looks in IE6. Maybe I'm mean? So far there is only me and one other person on my forums that have this problem. Out of 1000 or so active members that's not too bad. And both of us have the ability to view the website from home without the problems so it's no big deal.

Now, if a large portion of your members are stuck using IE6 then sure it sucks for them, but I don't blame vBulletin for not supporting a browser that came out in 2001 and should have been replaced in 2006. It's too bad Microsoft says they are going to continue to support IE6 until 2012, or else these businesses/organizations/companies would have to upgrade and then we wouldn't have any problems.

Comment

• Old Git
          • Jan 2008

No doubt about it, IE 6 is a pile of poo! One of my mods is stuck on IE 6 for the forseeable future, although he does have access to FF so he can use that. I don't think it's fair though to blame the developers of VB 4 for the shortcomings of IE6. I ran a Support centre for a software house who wrote systems level software for Windows based machines. Everytime they wrote work-arounds for MS shortcomings they broke something else and then that too would have to be fixed and on it went cascading out of control. At some point you've just got to draw a line and the easiest and best place to do this is with legacy software, eventually you've just got to say we no longer support it. Even the manufacturers of legacy software make a decision to no longer support it. It simply has to be done. I'm not going to lose sleep over IE6 problems. My attitude to it is this...

1.) This site is not compatible wth IE6, which is known to a be a particularly buggy version of IE and is not compliant with industry and web standards.
          2.) There is no reason that individual users should not be upgrading their own PC's to the latest version of IE
          3.) If you're company is preventing you from upgrading from IE6 raise the issue with your IT support guys. Although you may have to explain why you are browsing hobby sites during worktime.
          4.) If you can upgrade your IE to the latest version and won't then you're no loss to my site, I really don't need idiots browsing my site who don't actually have the sense to keep their own systems up-to-date with all the latest security releases!

Comment

• steven s
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.8.x

Fortunately only 13% of people that use IE are running 6.0 or less on my sites.
            And maybe 55% total users are using any version of IE at all.

I noticed one of my sites that has a younger demographic has a lower percentage of IE6 users than another site that has an older demographic.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• S1OPP
              • Jul 2005

You think IE6 is bad, you should see it in Netscape Navigator.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                • May 2004
                • 3.8.x

Zack just posted in another thread that they are aware of the problems with IE6 and are working on them. He said we should see improvements in the next couple of releases.

Now, that's great news I am not sure why it took this many threads and pages or posts before someone on the VB Team stepped up and said something.

For me, it's not the bugs in the system it's the simple fact that the VB Team 'has a bury your head in the sand'' approach and only after much to do about an issue will they response and tell us it's being looked into.

Comment

• jacobsen1
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Old Git
                  No doubt about it, IE 6 is a pile of poo! One of my mods is stuck on IE 6 for the forseeable future, although he does have access to FF so he can use that. I don't think it's fair though to blame the developers of VB 4 for the shortcomings of IE6.
                  it is when the use of PNGs over GIFs is a LARGE part of the issue... Had they at least used the correct image types it'd cure 50% of the looks issues...

Comment

• audiokid
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 4.1.x

If you are upgrading to a new CMS, expect you need modern browsers to read new code.
                    IMHO, why the hell should anyone be trying to make old code work perfectly with new code. The more crap they add in this new CMS the more bugs and crap out. Its just comon sense to me. Change is hard but inevitable.

Either stay behind or go with the flow and watch it grow.

peace.
                    Last edited by audiokid; Fri 1 Jan '10, 8:45pm.
                    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                    created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• Meestor_X
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JamieinNH
                      Zack just posted in another thread that they are aware of the problems with IE6 and are working on them. He said we should see improvements in the next couple of releases.
                      I for one hope that they at least make this a lower priority than getting it to work with IE8 and Chrome. There's still many bugs that keep VB4 from looking correct in IE8 - and Chrome has no WYSIWYG editor!
                      It seems to me that the software should work the same and look the same on all the latest browsers. AFAIK, right now it only supports and looks correct on Firefox (out of IE, Chrome and FF - dunno about Safari and Opera).
                      -Andy.
                      http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
                      http://www.mindplacesupport.com

Comment

• DDIG
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 3.8.x

I absolutely love vBulletin for it's many features but I really hate the arrogance. IE6 is not an issue, just update. I almost cannot believe it really. Your licence is half-way already when finaly there is an update with a set of bugs that you can more or less live with. Key problem here: communicate. Speak. Tell us you're sorry and that indeed vB4 is rushed. That has to be the only reason in my opinion. If you deny this, then your development skills are not what they should be. A whole lot of people have bought a license which is already a few months old now, while still not having a decent product.

You don't switch boards that easy, that's why so many people are loyal. That, and a very good modding scene... Very sorry but this is how I see things.
                        Wat You See Is What I Could Have Meant
                        D-DIG.NL -
                        Hèt trefpunt voor alles over digitale fotografie op internet... En meer!

Comment

• SuperGLS
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Meestor_X
                          AFAIK, right now it only supports and looks correct on Firefox (out of IE, Chrome and FF - dunno about Safari and Opera).
                          Looks GREAT in Safari, but that shouldn't be any surprise.

Comment