Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dspenc1
    • Dec 2009

[Forum] What does 4.0 have over 3.8.4?

I purchased VB earlier this month and decided to install 3.8.4 over 4.0 RC. I have my forum up and running with a few dozen members. I have not installed any plugins yet. I have only slightly tweaked the colors in the default template. Upgrading to 4.0 would be easy for me.

What features and benefits does 4.0 have over 3.8.4?

Thanks!
  • nickp
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.8.x

Uh....obviously the new version of a software will be better...duh...so yes you should upgrade (or wait a bit until vb4 becomes stable)
    vb4 is better, more functional, loads quicker, has lots of new features, uses CSS over tables, has the CMS built-in etc..

Comment

• the geek
      • Jun 2003
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by nickp
      Uh....obviously the new version of a software will be better...duh...so yes you should upgrade (or wait a bit until vb4 becomes stable)
      vb4 is better, more functional, loads quicker, has lots of new features, uses CSS over tables, has the CMS built-in etc..
      vb4:
      Offers very little new functionality in the forums (some functionality was actually dropped)
      Is far more resource hungry (especially the CMS)
      Does not load quicker from what I can see. Most sites I go to with vB4 load noticably slower
      Give me a list of all the new features?
      Uses CSS that will not validate
      Will not properly render in 10% of browsers
      yadayadayada

Given time hopefully many of the shortcomings will be resolved, however so far most of the team are either all quiet on the subject or seem to be proud of the above as if it is "working as intended".

Uh... obviously just because 4 is a higher number than 3.8 doesn't automatically make it better duh.
      My Twitterings

Comment

• jacobsen1
        • Dec 2007
        • 3.6.x

^ I agree with the geek. My biggest issue is it's broken in IE. Not JUST 6 either. The team likes to say people shouldn't browse from work and should upgrade above 6, but that's not realistic at all. But they refuse (so far?) to support IE correctly. Had I know this before I would NEVER have upgraded honestly. It's that bad. $250 for software that doesn't support a large portion of our userbase? You think that's OK vb? You think telling us to have our users upgrade is legitimate? This is honestly a pretty big disappointment for me.

Comment

• dspenc1
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by the geek
          vb4:
          Give me a list of all the new features?
          I searched for a list of new features before I posted my message. I cannot believe that such a list is not readily available. Judging from reading some of the posts here 4.0 could be VBulletin's Vista.

Comment

• bkosborne
            • Dec 2009

I couldn't for the life of me find a page that explains the difference in the versions

Comment

• JamieinNH
              • May 2004
              • 3.8.x

I am sure someone will come along and post a link to their features list on the main page: http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

I have seen this done in other threads asking for the differences between 3.8 and 4.0, but that list doesn't really answer the questions in my opinion. If the differences between 3.8 and 4.0 are worth updating too (i did during the presale) then someone on the VB Team should find it very easy to create a list of differences.

Comment

• the geek
                • Jun 2003
                • 1.1.x

From a functionality standpoint all I can think of is:

Video BBcode
                'Asset manager'
                Tabless skin though I couldn't chalk the skin up to a selling point

Those are the key functionality improvements for the forums off the top of my head. FWIW previous point releases had far more features than this major one.
                My Twitterings

Comment

• punchbowl
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 4.0.x

What about the fantastic new search?! Now you can search through blogs/posts/articles and still not find what you need and more slowly too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...