• Snug
    • Aug 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] search is only searching post and threads made after the upgrade

anyone having this same problem?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Did you remember to rebuild your search indexes after you completely the upgrade?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Snug
      • Aug 2009
      • 3.8.x

ohh whoops... thanks

Comment

• FastCougar
        • Aug 2005

I upgraded from 3.8.4 to 4.0 Suite and now in "AdminCP > Settings > Search Type", there is only one option in the drop down called "DB Search" ... it's not even showing me a FULLTEXT option and my FULLTEXT indexes are in place and have been reindexed since the upgrade. Am I missing a config file change somewhere?

Comment

• Dody
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.8.x

You need to rebuild you search index as Lynne said, this can be done from Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild Search Index
          while(true){
          if(
          $someone->needsHelp() && $i->canHelp()) $post->help();
          if(
          $i->findBug()) $post->bug();
          }

Comment

• FastCougar
            • Aug 2005

But won't this siimply compile to the DB and not use FullText build into the DB Server already? I thought this option merely indexed the site and created the indexed tables within the DB ... I had and still want FULLTEXT searching and I have rebuilt the indexes in the DB properly, but now I can't see were that is an option. To be honest, 4.0 is far from GOLD and I'm beginning to feel a lot like a BETA tester that paid a lot of money to be so ... very disappointed with the upgrade thus far.

Comment

• FastCougar
              • Aug 2005

Here is the documentation link: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/search_type

By default, vBulletin will use its internal indexing feature. The results of this indexing process is stored in two tables, word and postindex. This provides a fast search mechanism but can cause problems on larger forums due to the ever increasing size of these tables. Each unique word is indexed in the word table and each occurrence of the word is indexed in the postindex table. To get around the large amount of space these tables can occupy we implemented MySQL Fulltext Search. The search type screen allows you to switch between the two of these. It is a simple toggle so submitting the screen switches between the two modes.
              Specifically, here is what I **SHOULD** be able to do, but CAN'T!:
              It is a simple toggle so submitting the screen switches between the two modes.

This is what happens instead: I can only see one item in the drop down, it's labeled "DB Search", which I assume is the integrated indexing system and NOT FULLTEXT. I DO NOT see anywhere to choose FULLTEXT, which is what I had before the upgrade and what I want now due to my forums having well over 1 million posts in the post table.

So my question is did the "suite" package with the integrated CMS do away with the FULLTEXT index support so that Articles could be searched separately? In the end, I just want to know if I can use FULLTEXT again as it's MUCH faster and if I can, how do I since I can't seem to select it anywhere int he vBAdmin.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

You are quoting stuff from the vB3.x manual. There is only one type of search in vB4 and fulltext is not one of them.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• steven s
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 3.8.x

I thought you also had to run ADD KEYWORDS too?
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• FastCougar
                    • Aug 2005

That's because I'm only quoting what available ... again, another reason to NOT claim this release as "Gold" ... there is no reference material other than the install/upgrade doc supplied with the download. Not only that, when you login to the AdminCP, you are greated with a message that informs you that you are running 4.0.0 Patch Level 1, but that the latest version is 3.8.4 PL 2. I develop web based software for a living and would be embarrassed to release this software as "Gold" with so many glaring issues.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for answer my question though!

Comment

• Kari Kimber
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by FastCougar
                      That's because I'm only quoting what available ... again, another reason to NOT claim this release as "Gold" ... there is no reference material other than the install/upgrade doc supplied with the download. Not only that, when you login to the AdminCP, you are greated with a message that informs you that you are running 4.0.0 Patch Level 1, but that the latest version is 3.8.4 PL 2. I develop web based software for a living and would be embarrassed to release this software as "Gold" with so many glaring issues.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for answer my question though!
                      totaly you right. real vbteam is leftover the company. new developers is not fully adapt the "forum systems". AND do not understand us. sorry.

Comment

• Mtmm
                        • Jul 2002
                        • 3.6.x

Yeah, quite of a gold. 2,5 million posts and reindexing not working. Can we please get the fulltext search back? Reindexing works till 1,5 million and hangs up every time. This is REALLY bad for big boards. 8 years of data and search is broken, great!
                        www.pakkotoisto.com

Comment