This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sheps
    • Oct 2003

There seems to be a few misunderstandings here.

1) vB3 license holders get a upgrade to vB4 when it goes gold
    2) vB4 beta 3 is available as a perk to people who have paid to upgrade to the new licensing agreement which features:
    i) Instead of yearly renewals, you now get free upgrades for that major version
    ii) Upgrade cost for each new major version... 3x->4x->5x->6x

So you are no longer paying the yearly $60 or whatever it was, and are now paying for a upgrade to the software when a new major version is released.

Think of it, again like microsoft. You have versions, service packs and hotfixes.

A hotfix is like 3.1.1 to 3.1.2
    A SP is like 3.2.x to 3.3.x
    A Version is 3.x.x to 4.x.x

You don't pay for hotfixes and service packs. You pay for the latest versions. Vista, 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2(It is a separate version, you cannot simply upgrade)

Comment

• wantadmag
      • Mar 2009
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Aachi
      I agreed with you. But it is not fair at all that purchasing new license cost is quite same as for renewal price...

I wanted to add this separate to keep from any mix up.

As for the stunt Jelsoft/IB or whatever they go by these days pulled with vb4. I was pissed when it first happened but i took a deep breath and looked at it this way.

There old license price was $180.00 If i am not mistaken.

Then we had the $40.00 renew fee if you renewed within a certain time frame year after year. Or if you waited to renew you paid $60.00 year after year.

If i am not mistaken jelsoft got started in 2000? So that is 9 years in business just about to be 10.

I don't think Jelsoft/IB will be moving on to VB-5 within 24 Months. Cause if they moved that fast then they should be releasing VB-5 based on the length of time they have been in business.

So let's just say rounded to the nearest they are releasing a new version every 3 Years and if you are a person that takes advantage of renewing early at the rate of $40.00.

You pay

License $180.00

Support $120.00 (For 3 Years)

Total = $300.00

But if you are the last minute person then

License $180.00

Support $180.00 (For 3 Years)

Total = $360.00

So by setting an upgrade price of $130.00 to the full suite i just looked at it as i was paying nothing extra for the license just paying for support in advance. But if they do start releasing new versions every 24 Months then i am only paying an extra $5.00 per year to cover the support of the CMS. But if they continue there track record of taking more then 24 Months to release a new version then it's a savings for me. But either way it's a savings for me as i will not have to jump site to site for support on different sections and features of my sites.

So i kind of sat down and thought about what Jelsoft/IB might be trying to pull. What i came up with was that we all know they have the ability to built a product that is successful and everyone want's to use so...... They would run a pre-sale discount offer with "No Demo". What this would do is piss people off (and it did) they would run it for a short period of time (then the price goes up). So for everyone that backs out now will regret it later and have to pay full price of $285.00. What does this mean for Jelsoft/IB "They Win" which equals more revenue for them. I am thinking that once VB4 is gold and they start adding to the new platform many people are going to go running back to VB to grab a copy (again now having to pay $285). After all who would not want to run a product that handles almost everything needed to run a community. Thinking on the logical side of things they simply cannot offer all there new features and ideas in one release cause then they would hit the end of the road with one release. Just look at how far they have come since there first release. So i am thinking VB4 is just the start of a new generation i could be wrong in all of my assumptions but "Hey" we all have our own thoughts and ideas and this one is mine. I could be 100% wrong but just thought i would share what put me at comfort to go with the flow. So you have waited and delayed and now you have to pay the price which ever that might be. At this point you cannot blame anyone but yourself for not taking the $130.00 upgrade offer when it was available and now that's no ones loss but your own. Man i am glad i upgraded all of my licenses. Good Luck.

Comment

• NetID
        • Sep 2008

If the 4.x develops 3-4 years it's probably fine, but most likely 5.x will be released in the 2010, lol, and next upgrade will cost about $500, ha ha ha.
        We need the insurance arrangements of pricing policy for the next few years updates!

Comment

• Aachi
          • Aug 2007
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wantadmag
          Where were you when the valid arguments were going on here when Jelsoft/IB sent out the first email to "All Customers" regarding "VB 4.0 UPGRADING, ACTIVE, EXPIRED, PRE-SALE, DISCOUNTS ETC...." and all the other VB 4.0 pre-release arguements? Now if you decided to not upgrade to VB 4.0 suite for the "Limited Time" discount price and "BEFORE THE RELEASE OF VB 4.0 BETA" then it's your loss and no one elses problem. So live with your lifes decissions and just wait until VB 4.0 goes "GOLD" then it will be available to you. I mean really we are way past this part.

I was here when i have read this.

In all the discussions so far related to pricing and licensing, I’ve answered that there were quite a lot of details to work out, and that I would announce everything together as soon as all the pieces were settled. While we do still have a couple of loose ends to tie up, I’m happy to report that a couple of the most important issues have been settled, and I can address some of the most urgent questions about upcoming license changes for vBulletin 4.0.

In previous posts I had recommended that everyone keep their vBulletin licenses current, and there are two important reasons to do so:

1. You will have access to the 4.0 Forum upgrade under the terms of your current license.

2. You will be able to take advantage of a pre-sale discount offer for the new vBulletin Suite that will be available to current licensed customers only.

In a few weeks we’ll be rolling out more information on the release and announcing further details of the new license terms and pricing. Meanwhile, we appreciate your patience.
          and after that i have purchased new license considered that they will not ask for more charges for VB 4 updates. (but only 60$ renewal fee as that was)
          And now Jelosoft asking for more 175$ for upgrade. after my expired license.

Means that when my license will expired on 4 October 2010, I have to pay more 175$ to renew this account, to get more updates for VB 4.

and the person who's license expiring on 15 October 2010, (I m not sure , but when VB.COM has changed to new interface i think that date was 15 Oct 2009) Jelosoft will allow him to download all updates..
          They should tell this before. so that i can wait for 15 days..
          Mobile Phone Applications Download Fun and Entertainment

Comment

• Mike Anime
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.7.x

vB plans to have a gold realease later on this month if the beta testing goes well.

a few weeks ago they had a much better discount for ACTIVE licence holders with the suite costing 130.00USD there was a mass email sent to all vB customers reguardless or licence status.

there are no more LEASED licences

if you upgraded recentley to 3.8 forums you can have access to freeley upgrade to the forums only v4 till your 3.8 licence is over then you have two choises upgrade to the v4 forums or suite paying full price, or buy now for a discounted price. the price may seem steep to you just keep in mind vB4 licences do NOT expire till EOL of the vB4

in other words if you buy vB4 you will not shell out another dime like in the old days till 5.0 goes gold.

now i was smart and bought myself the suite when it was on sale for 130.00 USD that price was for ACTIVE licence holders only. my 3.x.x licence would have expired a month before the sale but i cought it in time and payed the 40.00 to renue it.

now for LEASED licence holders there will no longer be such thing as a leased licence so your renewal will bring you from LEASED to OWNED.

now to get what ever discounts if any you are entitled to you must be logged into your customers section on vbulletin.com when you go to the purchase page from there scroll to near the bottom of the page for your discounted pricing options (again if you have an ACTIVE licence)

Comment

• Aachi
              • Aug 2007
              • 3.8.x

You are smart. but i did what VB announced till 4 October 2009.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tpgsr

This.

Comment

• Aachi
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 3.8.x

I wanted to add this separate to keep from any mix up.

So let's just say rounded to the nearest they are releasing a new version every 3 Years and if you are a person that takes advantage of renewing early at the rate of $40.00.

You pay

License $180.00

Support $120.00 (For 3 Years)

Total = $300.00

But if you are the last minute person then

License $180.00

Support $180.00 (For 3 Years)

Total = $360.00

So by setting an upgrade price of $130.00 to the full suite i just looked at it as i was paying nothing extra for the license just paying for support in advance.
                  But for me.

180 for Purchasing 3.8.4 patch level 1
                  175 for upgrading for VB 4 before expiring my license on 4 oct 2010. If i upgrade before expiring
                  --------------
                  355$

or

180 for Purchasing 3.8.4 patch level 1
                  195 for upgrading for VB 4 after expiring my license on 4 oct 2010. If i upgrade after expiring my current
                  --------------
                  375$

But for the person who paid discounted half fee of 195$ by15th October to 30th October01. (I think that was 130$till 30 October) Jelosoft are giving same Value.

For Leased license:

100 for Purchasing 3.8.4 patch level 1 (But i did not purchased leased)
                  175 for upgrading for VB 4 before expiring my license on 4 Oct 2010. If i upgrade before expiring
                  --------------
                  275$
                  Last edited by Aachi; Fri 13 Nov '09, 3:17pm.

Comment

• NetID
                    • Sep 2008

Trickery policy depending to customers.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by cedivad
                      soo they will spend other six month over beta/rc and then the will relase when most of people will have they licenses expired. vB is now only a money machine. No dubts about it (but dammint, i like the style!)
                      They are promising release before the end of the year, but I know those things slip. Listen, I'm not enamored of this upgrade path either, but our VB3 licenses don't expire until between June and August of 2010, so we get 4.0. I don't mind waiting, however. I'd rather have a gold release for busy forums than play with betas.

Peace,
                      Gene

Comment

• Bounce
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by cedivad
                        soo they will spend other six month over beta/rc and then the will relase when most of people will have they licenses expired. vB is now only a money machine. No dubts about it (but dammint, i like the style!)
                        Vb guesstimate it will be out by the end of the year, hardly 6 month

Comment

• wantadmag
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 3.7.x

So you bought your license on 10/4/2009? Why would you do that when we knew VB 4.0 was in production and they would be changing license TOS & pricing? That is a chance you decided to take "Now Your Upset". I don't understand why you would be upset as it has been said many many many many times here as well as posted on the sales page that you will get a free upgrade to VB 4.0 Forum "WHEN IT IS GOLD" they are rewarding customers who had faith in them and went for the upgrade to "VB 4.0 SUITE" for the limited time pre-sale price of $130.00. It sounds like you decided not to upgrade to suite for $130.00 so "No Big Deal" you just have to wait to get your "FREE UPGRADE" but again it won't be available or an option until "GOLD" is released. So just hang in there and you will get it. And yes it will only be good until your license reaches it expire date. That's why they are saying you can toss us $$175.00 now and save yourself $20.00 off the regular price later which at that point there will be no sale for anyone. So all you have to do is swollow your pride and look at it as you are paying for support in advanced at a discount just like there other support discount worked year after year but if you waited until the last minute the you pay more. At this rate it looks like you will be paying more. Just look at how much money you could have saved if you would have just upgraded in the begining. You can walk the dog to the water but you can't make him drink it.

Comment

• Ray Morgan
                            Former vBulletin General Manager
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Sheps
                            There seems to be a few misunderstandings here.
                            1) vB3 license holders get a upgrade to vB4 when it goes gold
                            2) vB4 beta 3 is available as a perk to people who have paid to upgrade to the new licensing agreement which features:
                            Good summary, and that was the plan.

We have decided to go ahead and open up beta to the largest possible audience. Instead of waiting for the gold release, active license holders will be given access to beta. We should be able to have this in place by the end of the day on Monday (Pacific time).

Comment

• Aachi
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ray Morgan
                              Good summary, and that was the plan.

We have decided to go ahead and open up beta to the largest possible audience. Instead of waiting for the gold release, active license holders will be given access to beta. We should be able to have this in place by the end of the day on Monday (Pacific time).
                              but whats about this?

Comment

• Aachi
                                • Aug 2007
                                • 3.8.x

So you bought your license on 10/4/2009? Why would you do that when we knew VB 4.0 was in production and they would be changing license TOS & pricing?
                                i purchased because i thought they will allow me to upgrade license for 40$/anum as they already allowing for another allowing for other license,
                                As they announce here

but after 10 to 15 days the changed everything...
                                That is a chance you decided to take "Now Your Upset". I don't understand why you would be upset as it has been said many many many many times here as well as posted on the sales page that you will get a free upgrade to VB 4.0 Forum "WHEN IT IS GOLD" they are rewarding customers who had faith in them and went for the upgrade to "VB 4.0 SUITE" for the limited time pre-sale price of $130.00. It sounds like you decided not to upgrade to suite for $130.00 so "No Big Deal" you just have to wait to get your "FREE UPGRADE" but again it won't be available or an option until "GOLD" is released. So just hang in there and you will get it. And yes it will only be good until your license reaches it expire date. That's why they are saying you can toss us $$175.00 now and save yourself $20.00 off the regular price later which at that point there will be no sale for anyone. So all you have to do is swollow your pride and look at it as you are paying for support in advanced at a discount just like there other support discount worked year after year but if you waited until the last minute the you pay more. At this rate it looks like you will be paying more. Just look at how much money you could have saved if you would have just upgraded in the begining. You can walk the dog to the water but you can't make him drink it.
                                i am upset because i can not download other updates after 4 oct 2010. to do this i have to renew license cost 175$ before expiry,
                                Last edited by Aachi; Sat 14 Nov '09, 3:03am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...