X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

So What Is Your Final Answer?

Myself and other people have been asking the same question for weeks without an official response. If you own a license for vBulletin 3.x but the annual maintenance subscription expired before you downloaded or had access to download the latest version, how can a license holder obtain those updates. For example, you have 3.6.2 installed on your forum but your maintenance subscription expired 2 weeks ago - how can you get up to date?

Now I'm looking at another thread where someone else gives the same answer I've read repeatedly - you have no choice but to upgrade to version 4. My thought is that silence in your own customer support forums is an admission that this is indeed the intention here. People with owned licenses whose maintenance subscription expired were compelled them to upgrade to version 4 (which would have been at the price of $190, $20 more than maintenance was.)

So let's get some straight, official answers already. I wonder how many people thought they had no option at all and are part of the record sales being reported in the press releases.
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

everyone has/had an option
    I updated to the suit
    no one is forcing anyone to do anything
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• kontagio.us
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by slinky
      Myself and other people have been asking the same question for weeks without an official response. If you own a license for vBulletin 3.x but the annual maintenance subscription expired before you downloaded or had access to download the latest version, how can a license holder obtain those updates. For example, you have 3.6.2 installed on your forum but your maintenance subscription expired 2 weeks ago - how can you get up to date?
      You can get the security updates for free but to get up to date with the features you have to buy a new license.

With your new license you can download 3.8.4 or 4 (when it comes out)

By weeks you mean week, right. :P
      vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

more like weak..

Comment

• slinky
          • Mar 2001
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by kontagio.us
          You can get the security updates for free but to get up to date with the features you have to buy a new license.
          With your new license you can download 3.8.4 or 4 (when it comes out)
          By weeks you mean week, right. :P
          Once again, more unofficial answers and also by people who don't really read posts or their license.

Loco - Just because you were happy to whip out your credit card as soon as the word "upgrade" was announced doesn't mean the rest of us don't have a right to ask questions. And if Kontagious is right, then yes, I am being forced to upgrade to version 4 just to get all the updates for version 3.

Kontagious - I'm not the only one who asked the obvious question and referenced others. The pre-sale has been going on for weeks and this hasn't been addressed. Thanks for more unofficial information to clutter the thread.

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

I actually use paypal

and no problem with asking, but I'd bet the same thing is posted 20-30 times on this forum alone

Comment

• slinky
              • Mar 2001
              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
              I actually use paypal and no problem with asking, but I'd bet the same thing is posted 20-30 times on this forum alone
              If the same thing is posted 20-30 times on this forum, how come nobody can point to an official answer? Too busy using paypal? SHOW ME.
              Last edited by slinky; Mon 2 Nov '09, 9:29am.

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

The official answer is, sticking with 3.x is not supported. You must pay $195 for vB4 just to get a few more updates to vB3.8, and then vB3.x could be abandonware in as little as 12 months.

Comment

• Loco.M
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.5.x

If the same thing is posted 20-30 times on this forum, how come nobody can point to an official answer? Too busy using paypal? SHOW ME.
                  check the announcements and blog post

Comment

• slinky
                    • Mar 2001
                    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                    The official answer is, sticking with 3.x is not supported. You must pay $195 for vB4 just to get a few more updates to vB3.8, and then vB3.x could be abandonware in as little as 12 months.
                    Originally posted by Loco.M
                    check the announcements and blog post
                    Could someone point out WHERE this is stated and paste the words or direct me to them - not to a general document but to the actual words.

From what you are saying (assuming it is official), when the pre-sale was announced, any owned license holder who may have been caught completely off-guard by a sudden change in the licensing model must pay $195 and is unable to simply ride out the existing vB3 license they had been sold and assumed was in operation up until the time of the pre-sale notice. So yes, Loco, if this is true this is completely a forced upgrade - you bought vBulletin version 3 and had the absolutely reasonable assumption (like anyone would) that you'd be able to stick with that vBulletin 3 until the end of it's life cycle. If vBulletin intended for this not to be the case, then it should have sent notice to every license holder that it did not intend to honor the terms of the license that was sold to customers. So let's have an official word instead of watching forum members banty about what may or may not be official.

Comment

• Eqvaliser
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 1.1.x

Link posted last friday (30 oct at 10pm)

Originally posted by Joe Rosenblum
                      download Forum 4.0 or Suite 4.0, expect the Beta to be available in the member's area no later than mid-November.
                      Vbulletin fan

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

From what you are saying (assuming it is official), when the pre-sale was announced, any owned license holder who may have been caught completely off-guard by a sudden change in the licensing model must pay $195 and is unable to simply ride out the existing vB3 license they had been sold and assumed was in operation up until the time of the pre-sale notice. So yes, Loco, if this is true this is completely a forced upgrade -
                        negative
                        I could of used my active vb license and been able to download 4.0 when it came out, assuming it came our before my license expired.
                        no one forced anything, I choose to just go ahead and pay for the upgrade so I'd be able to get updates for the life of 4.0

Comment

• GeorgeB
                          • Nov 2008

Okay, for the 1 millionth time, You buy or upgrade your license, and you will have acccess to 4.0 when it comes out, and access to the 3.8 series as well, until they no longer support it.
                          George Beale
                          www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

any owned license holder who may have been caught completely off-guard by a sudden change in the licensing model must pay $195 and is unable to simply ride out the existing vB3 license they had been sold and assumed was in operation up until the time of the pre-sale notice.
                            This is not correct.

If you have an ACTIVE license, meaning you paid the renewal sometime in 2009, then you can "ride out" your vB3 license until that renewal ends. You can download the current versions of vB3 and vB4 during that time. After your license expires, you must pay $195 for the forum or $285 for the suite. You will then have to pay $195 or $285 again when vB5 comes out as soon as 2011.

Comment

• slinky
                              • Mar 2001
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by GeorgeB
                              Okay, for the 1 millionth time, You buy or upgrade your license, and you will have acccess to 4.0 when it comes out, and access to the 3.8 series as well, until they no longer support it.
                              Originally posted by feldon23
                              This is not correct. If you have an ACTIVE license, meaning you paid the renewal sometime in 2009, then you can "ride out" your vB3 license until that renewal ends. You can download the current versions of vB3 and vB4 during that time. After your license expires, you must pay $195 for the forum or $285 for the suite. You will then have to pay $195 or $285 again when vB5 comes out as soon as 2011.
                              Once again, nobody is listening. Concentrate, please (and vbFlames, read this.) I'll give an example:

You own a license whose maintenance expires June 4, 2009 when vBulletin is at version 3.6 (as an example.) How does that client just stay with version 3 and upgrade themselves to version 3.82 pl2 and whatever releases for version 3 may be made until the vb4 release? In the past, it was just $40 and you're done. At present, the only choice given is to pay $190 or more to upgrade to vBulletin 4. They have no need to go to version 4 and in order to just get from 3.62 to 2.82, they are being forced to pay $190 or whatever it is now. Do you now see the problem?
                              Last edited by slinky; Mon 2 Nov '09, 2:54pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...