X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkirch
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.8.x

Cost to Upgrade from vB4 to vB4 Suite

Like many others, I really feel rushed and disappointed about how this new version is being pushed on everyone and we are forced to make rush decisions. I think that is going to come back and bite vbulletin in the ass.. but oh well... it is what it is.

MY QUESTION is .... if I choose to only purchase vB4 Forum for my current and expired versions... and then in a few months I decide that vB4 Suite looks pretty good.... what then?? Will I have to pay full price to purchase the Suite or what ?
  • mabersoft
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

That would be a great option to have. as then i would buy vb 4 suite.

Comment

• Shamil.
      • Feb 2008
      • 4.2.X

You'll have to pay the full upgrade price currently.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by mkirch
        Like many others, I really feel rushed and disappointed about how this new version is being pushed on everyone and we are forced to make rush decisions. I think that is going to come back and bite vbulletin in the ass.. but oh well... it is what it is.

MY QUESTION is .... if I choose to only purchase vB4 Forum for my current and expired versions... and then in a few months I decide that vB4 Suite looks pretty good.... what then?? Will I have to pay full price to purchase the Suite or what ?
        We don't know what that price is yet but since it's actually cheaper to purchase the Suite than the Forums only right now (and before the Pre-sale ends) it would make sense to do that. Otherwise I see absolutely no reason to pay more now for less, and then possibly pay more again later.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Super Cat
          • Jan 2005
          • 4.2.X

Since were talking upgrade and I don't want to start a new thread. Do you believe when VB5 comes out there will be an upgrade price or will we be able to upgrade for free.
          .I guess I just found a bug. When adding this smilie. I couldn't post past it. It should be after free and before found bug.
          On with message that should be after smilie. Or will we have to pay for full VB5 license.

Comment

• mkirch
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I see absolutely no reason to pay more now for less, and then possibly pay more again later.
            Well in addition to my semi-current licences, I also have about 4 or 5 expired licenses from over a year ago which will cost me $20-30 per license MORE than simply buying 4 standard Forum licences. I just dont know if I am going to have much use for many of the features offered by vB4 Suite.... especially considering I haven't seen it yet.

As a customer I really despise being put in this position. It doesn't feel comfortable to rushed into purchasing something when you have no idea if you will even like it.

Comment

• shohin
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Super Cat
              Since were talking upgrade and I don't want to start a new thread. Do you believe when VB5 comes out there will be an upgrade price or will we be able to upgrade for free.
              .I guess I just found a bug. When adding this smilie. I couldn't post past it. It should be after free and before found bug.
              On with message that should be after smilie. Or will we have to pay for full VB5 license.
              When vB 5.0 comes out you will again have to pay full price for. Sucks doesn't it.

Comment

• Dismounted
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by shohin
                When vB 5.0 comes out you will again have to pay full price for. Sucks doesn't it.
                Where'd you get that from? You will be able to upgrade your vBulletin 4 license to version 5 when the times comes, at a discounted rate. Ray has mentioned this somewhere (don't have an exact post ID).

Comment

• slinky
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  We don't know what that price is yet but since it's actually cheaper to purchase the Suite than the Forums only right now (and before the Pre-sale ends) it would make sense to do that. Otherwise I see absolutely no reason to pay more now for less, and then possibly pay more again later.
                  Steve - This is part of the problem. This reply only is accurate regarding current maintenance. Others must pay $190 and $210. So how can these customers make a decision on upgrading to the suite at this time if you guys don't know the cost to upgrade from regular to suite? People sometimes may hold on to their money and decide later to do it when they need it and if the price difference might not be that large!
                  My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• shohin
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dismounted
                    Where'd you get that from? You will be able to upgrade your vBulletin 4 license to version 5 when the times comes, at a discounted rate. Ray has mentioned this somewhere (don't have an exact post ID).
                    OK, I might very well be wrong as to paying full price but that was my understanding. The bottom line is that you will indeed have to pay something when 5.0 is released. There has been so many announcements on this entire fiasco the past week or so it's enough to make ones head spin!

~Phil~

Comment

• hiken
                      • Aug 2008

Obviously there are people with varying amounts of money in their pocket. But I am always in disbelief about the complaints.

$130 for an upgrade to a radically new product ??? Has anyone here purchased retail software such as Office or similar products? The price of those other products, being sold by the millions, is a lot more than the Vb upgrade.

For the level of engineering going into this product, and the level of support, $130 was chump change for an upgrade.

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by shohin
                        OK, I might very well be wrong as to paying full price but that was my understanding. The bottom line is that you will indeed have to pay something when 5.0 is released. There has been so many announcements on this entire fiasco the past week or so it's enough to make ones head spin!

~Phil~
                        Why, of course you'll have to pay something when you upgrade from vB4 to vB5. You can't really expect to pay one time and from then on to get everything for free? Well, thinking of it, I bought Win 3.0 sometime back in the nineties. Microsoft sure screwed me over charging me an upgrade price for every subsequent version! Gotta go complain they're charging me for Win7 yet again!

Comment

• shohin
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Comparing vB to an OS just doesn't wash. This comparison has been repeatedly been made lately and it does not cut it. Comparing the two is like comparing the proverbial apples to oranges.
                          However, as is always the case opinions will certainly vary.

Comment

• cellarius
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Leave the comparison away. So you think you should pay once for vB4 and then get a lifetime of updates and upgrades free, forever? You can't be serious about this. That's not even how it worked with the old license system.

Comment

• shohin
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by cellarius
                              Leave the comparison away. So you think you should pay once for vB4 and then get a lifetime of updates and upgrades free, forever? You can't be serious about this. That's not even how it worked with the old license system.
                              If you would be so kind as to point out exactly where I ever said that?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...