• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LegolasTheElf
    Banned
    • Jun 2007
    • 3.8.x

Email promising $130 upgrade is a LIE!

I received an email promising me an upgrade at $130. It's a LIE! If you're license is expired, you need to pay $250 to upgrade. It's a BAIT AND SWITCH. This is ILLEGAL marketing.. You can't offer something at one price then change the price later on. Absolutely unbelievable!
  • terabyte
    • Jan 2008
    • 3.8.x

No is says ...

As a preferred customer with an active license .....
    If your license is inactive, then you are probably not preferred customer and have to pay full price ...

Comment

• boatdesign
      • Jun 2001

I think there was a glitch and they made the same email offer to those with either active or inactive owned license. But the offer is only good through the website if your license was active as of today I believe; otherwise you'll see $250 instead of $130.
      Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
        Banned
        • Jun 2007
        • 3.8.x

"Active"... I paid for an owned license. It's an active license. I didn't pay for support/upgrades when it expired in July of this year.

But, the license is ACTIVE. i.e. it's validly licensed and not leased.

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
          Banned
          • Jun 2007
          • 3.8.x

A normal, reasonable person would see 'active' as a legal license. They sent me an email with my name on it, offering me a lower price. Shouldn't they honor it?

Comment

• Heavier
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by terabyte
            No is says ...

If your license is inactive, then you are probably not preferred customer and have to pay full price ...
            To be fair, the email says 'As a preferred customer with an active license' not 'If you are a preferred customer with an active license'. The email says, quite plainly, that you, the recipient, are eligible.

And since it was sent out to people without "active" licenses (e.g. me, I have an owned but recently 'expired' license. I can still use it forever but I can't update past 3.8.1) it simply adds to the confusion. After all, what does active mean to you? That your forum is active? That you own your license? Or that you are eligible for vBulletin's free upgrades? Of course Jelsoft only means the latter.

To rub salt in, when we license owners go to upgrade, we find that we are expected to pay $15 more than new customers. Remarkable.

Comment

• Jerz
              • Apr 2007
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
              A normal, reasonable person would see 'active' as a legal license. They sent me an email with my name on it, offering me a lower price. Shouldn't they honor it?

"Active"... I paid for an owned license. It's an active license. I didn't pay for support/upgrades when it expired in July of this year.

But, the license is ACTIVE. i.e. it's validly licensed and not leased.
              No. Active means current. In fact, in the member's area, they specifically use "active" and "inactive" to refer to expired/current licenses. Believe me, I am angry over the email too, but for a whole other set of reasons.

Comment

• tercede
                • Jan 2005

LegolasTheElf , just face it - you should have renewed. Anyone here knows active means not expired.

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2007
                  • 3.8.x

Heavier got it right... "As a preferred customer" is in the email. It tells me that I AM a preferred customer. It doesn't say, "If you are" or "For those who have a currently paid-up license"... Bunch of BS.

Comment

• Jerz
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
                    Heavier got it right... "As a preferred customer" is in the email. It tells me that I AM a preferred customer. It doesn't say, "If you are" or "For those who have a currently paid-up license"... Bunch of BS.
                    Sue them then. Good luck.

Comment

• boatdesign
                      • Jun 2001

Unfortunately, the email vbulletin sent today (I believe it was a legitimate email since I haven't seen anything to the contrary) seems to really rub salt in two ways:
                      1.) everyone is chomping at the bit for 4.0 for a long time now; the email says "Today, we are proud to introduce" and yet here we find out it's still in alpha, and not ready to introduce, and
                      2.) previously owned license meant you owned the license, and could renew at the savings. The email apparently was sent to everyone with an owned license saying "As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer" which to me strongly implies the offer is for you, the recipient of the email from vbulletin. And yet when you click through if you don't have a current support/updates, you find that you do not get what the email offers. This would apply to someone who was waiting for 4.0 to upgrade (wisely, or not) or maybe to someone who had an owned license who put thier site on hold for a while and got the email and thought 4.0 would be a good time to reenter with their owned license, etc.

It's their software, their blood and sweat that went into developing it, and so as far as I'm concerned they can price it how they want to make the profit they need to cover their development and pay their bills (though I don't love price increases, I can live with it.) But somehow the email sent out today seems to really rub salt into all the painful areas while not really doing much for the positives (which will be many when 4.0 is ready I believe.)
                      Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jerz
                        Sue them then. Good luck.
                        Really? Is Jelsoft paying you to kiss their butt?

Comment

• azn_romeo_4u
                          • May 2006

Wow that sucks.
                          Cursors For Your Computer and Forums
                          Version 3.8.x
                          Version 3.7.x
                          Version 3.6.x

Comment

• bakwas
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by boatdesign
                            Unfortunately, the email vbulletin sent today (I believe it was a legitimate email since I haven't seen anything to the contrary) seems to really rub salt in two ways:
                            1.) everyone is chomping at the bit for 4.0 for a long time now; the email says "Today, we are proud to introduce" and yet here we find out it's still in alpha, and not ready to introduce, and
                            2.) previously owned license meant you owned the license, and could renew at the savings. The email apparently was sent to everyone with an owned license saying "As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer" which to me strongly implies the offer is for you, the recipient of the email from vbulletin. And yet when you click through if you don't have a current support/updates, you find that you do not get what the email offers. This would apply to someone who was waiting for 4.0 to upgrade (wisely, or not) or maybe to someone who had an owned license who put thier site on hold for a while and got the email and thought 4.0 would be a good time to reenter with their owned license, etc.

It's their software, their blood and sweat that went into developing it, and so as far as I'm concerned they can price it how they want to make the profit they need to cover their development and pay their bills (though I don't love price increases, I can live with it.) But somehow the email sent out today seems to really rub salt into all the painful areas while not really doing much for the positives (which will be many when 4.0 is ready I believe.)
                            I agree totally. The mail is misleading and has been sent out to ALL customers who have any "owned" licenses.

Professionally, they must stay firm on what they offered in their mail and the old customers should get a BETTER DEAL than the fresh customers!

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2007
                              • 3.8.x

dugg: http://digg.com/software/vBulletin_s...unt_it_s_a_LIE

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...