• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_park
    • Sep 2009

Calendar Features needed

Hello all,

I know this is a long question.

While I can create a separate calendar for each state and their districts I need to be able to do a few things.

Maybe vB can't but I'm looking for any native or plug-in capability (or future release) or I'll have to pass on vB for now:

1. Create categories (with sub-categories as a preference)
    1.1 Allow events to be members of more than one category (nice but not 100% required)
    2. Allow calendar event presentation by selected category
    3. View two calendars at the same time with the category selected
    4. Enter a start and end time for events
    5. RSVP for events
    6. Have a place for address entry and google maps support
    7. Allow the creation of "region" or "locality" for event (or even something called "groups") for events.

I'm looking to move somes sites from Joomla and SMF, if you look at Joomla add-in jCal you will see what I'm looking for (but they do not have an RSVP system).

Categories are important - but are needed in addition to multiple calendars.

I can create a different calendar for each state but each state will have events from one (or more) categories.

For instance if I go to PA-Eastern and select "Fishing" I should be able to see only "Fishing" events.

It would be nice if I could select the "multiple calendar view" and select PA-Eastern and PA-Western and see all "Fishing" events from both calendars.

If I could select multiple categories I could look at PA-Eastern "Fishing" and "Boating" concurrently on the same calendar.

If sub categories were employed I could look at PA-Eastern "Fishing...Fly Fishing".

If Groups were employed I could look at PA "Groups PA-East and PA-West" with category "Fishing" (which could be used to decrease the need for many separate calendars).

Of course having the ability to enter an address may allow search by state, allowing RSVP would allow members to RSVP for and review events they plan on attending.

Thanks,
    gp
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

i would suggest you start here: http://vbenhancer.com/calendar-integ...ext-days/5198/ ... and read this too: http://vbenhancer.com/officials/4-0-...calendar/5332/ ...

the release is already available for version 1, but as it's a paid product -- due to Jelsoft's lack of commercial support,... i can't talk about it here!
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Grover
      • May 2001
      • 3.8.x

We have been requesting for years and years over and over again to improve the remarkable dated Calendar application in vBulletin. vB 3.7 was supposed to be about Social Networking. Oddly, the Calendar was not updated in any way in this process. And today... almost 2010 (!) we are still left with a Calendar that is almost unusable at the moment... it has almost NO value for a Social Network platform that vBulletin 'pretends' to be.
      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Ingenious
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.8.x

Some of those questions echo my own requirements to have a calendar where members can categorise an event and this is placed on a map (see this page for a working example: http://www.ukfr.com/fireworks-forum/eventmap.php ). This was done by adding a custom field to the calendar - included with vB as standard - to categorise the event, plus a custom field for location (long/lat). The map itself is custom code that pulls all the event info from the database and sticks it on a googlemap. Just to say really that anything is possible.

You could always stick with one master calendar and add a custom field for state (amongst other things), then do something with the data in a third party page as I have done. Otherwise I would suggest having a look at 3rd party mods as suggested above.
        Fireworks

Comment

• stryka
          • Aug 2002

Pls don't waste your time typing anything regarding requests for calendar improvement... NO ONE from VB will acknowledge and when they do read the post it will put on the backburner... we have talked about this for years... heck just search for any recent threads i have started... or refer to this http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ighlight=event

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...