• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
    Am I the only one who thinks that everybody is looking a little too deep into this?
    Not really, when two well known employees leave at the same time, there is always a story, the only question is what is that story, and is it relevant. Like many things in life, if no official word is given, then people will tend to make up things, and generally assume the worst.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Kier
      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
      • Sep 2000

Neither Floris nor Mike were asked to leave by Jelsoft or Internet Brands management.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
        Not really, when two well known employees leave at the same time, there is always a story, the only question is what is that story, and is it relevant. Like many things in life, if no official word is given, then people will tend to make up things, and generally assume the worst.
        Exactly. And knowing that not only is this human nature, but the way it is and always has been on this forum, someone from Jelsoft or IB should post a statement. Nipping the gossip bud at the root is always the best way to go, imo.

Originally posted by Kier
        Neither Floris nor Mike were asked to leave by Jelsoft or Internet Brands management.
        Thank you for that tidbit Kier
        Peggy
        ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• dkon26
          • Jul 2007
          • 3.7.x

They are not the only ones that have left. I have had a few jobs where I was not asked to leave but I knew it was time for whatever reason.

There should be a forum on this board titled something along the lines of meet the staff. Post information about new staff members and at the same time post staff updates such as which staff members have left.

Just because your located in the UK does not mean you need to operate like the MI5 and the type of important information that is released whether staff changes or dev updates certainly feels that way.

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dkon26
            They are not the only ones that have left. I have had a few jobs where I was not asked to leave but I knew it was time for whatever reason.

There should be a forum on this board titled something along the lines of meet the staff. Post information about new staff members and at the same time post staff updates such as which staff members have left.

Just because your located in the UK does not mean you need to operate like the MI5 and the type of important information that is released whether staff changes or dev updates certainly feels that way.
            It's none of your business how the internal staff structure of the company works. You can go on all you want about openness and the feeling of a "community" by knowing staff, but ultimately the staff roster is none of your concern, nor business.
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• dkon26
              • Jul 2007
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Dean C
              It's none of your business how the internal staff structure of the company works. You can go on all you want about openness and the feeling of a "community" by knowing staff, but ultimately the staff roster is none of your concern, nor business.
              Its called proper business practices. I could care less about a feeling of community. I assume by your post that you have corporate management experience?

EDIT: If we take your advice, the "view forum leaders" option should be removed.
              Last edited by dkon26; Tue 12 May '09, 6:13am.

Comment

• Dilly
                • Mar 2005

I could care less about a feeling of community.
                Couldn't*

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

Its called proper business practices. I could care less about a feeling of community. I assume by your post that you have corporate management experience?
                  Sure, because McDonalds or BMW issue press releases every time they hire/release a member of senior management Remember, the people who have left are developers and support staff, and as they have each stated they have their own reasons. I don't see why you, and others, are so insistent on prying the reason out of them.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Razasharp
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 3.7.x

Lol the drama :lol: for years people cry out for changes and now they're getting them they start to go do la ly.

Mike is the only dev to have left/laid off. Floris was support staff not a dev. Jerry is still part time. And isn't Boxy Kier's partner who's just had a baby? If anyone else has left were they even a major player in the team?

Anyway, look at the devs they have taken on; Eddie, Darren, Kevin, and Ray as PM.

Look at the progress they've made (and this has to be the most important thing for us right?), the CMS !!! Refactoring vB to be more efficient via vB4!!! Adding SN, better profiles, new skin and generally making all sorts of other progress!!

I was as sceptical as the rest of you when they first took over, but to me it's clear vB has made more progress since they have. And if they are shedding staff BUT taking on more devs, isn't that what WE wanted? I would rather the money they get from us go on actual development not non-essential staff or staff who are not suitable for the job or not pulling their weight (not implying any of the ones gone were not - just saying that's what I'd rather).

I am going to judge IB on how they perform in direct relation to vB - not who they hire and fire. And like I said, so far they've made some great progress not to mention the promises* of more. *that's right, the 'plans' they've shared with us, which was another thing we all wanted so much.
                    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• dkon26
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Dilly
                      Couldn't*
                      Yes yes.. At the moment I am on the phone dealing with my cell phone company and trying to type quickly.

Originally posted by Dean C
                      Sure, because McDonalds or BMW issue press releases every time they hire/release a member of senior management Remember, the people who have left are developers and support staff, and as they have each stated they have their own reasons. I don't see why you, and others, are so insistent on prying the reason out of them.
                      Our company sends out bulletins to our customers. Our company also provides detailed roadmaps.

Comment

• Kier
                        Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                        • Sep 2000

I could care less about a feeling of community.
                        Originally posted by Dilly
                        Couldn't*
                        The use of 'could care less' is a widespread phenomenon, primarily in the USA. It seems to stem from people repeating what they think they hear, without thinking about what they are actually saying.

The original expression is couldn't care less, meaning that it would be impossible to be less concerned about the matter, whereas the incorrect use of could care less implies the opposite, namely that the person in question could indeed care less about the matter, so they by definition have some degree of care - almost certainly not what the speaker intended to say.

Pet hate of mine.

Lesson of obviousness now concluded. Carry on.

Comment

• dkon26
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 3.7.x

I think your all just upset about my UK remark.. To correct myself. I couldn't care less.

Comment

• Lizard King
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Staff changes can occur within any company. The important part we should all hope is the new developers coding ability. Hopefully they are all exprienced and can take vBulletin to the new age we all hope for.

Currently there is no need to create a drama about leaving staff. Yes it is sad to see Floris , Mike , Ashley and other staff leaving but new devs also deserve a chance.

Comment

• smackLAN
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Pet hate of mine.
                              Now we know a sure fire way of getting you to respond in a thread
                              RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• the geek
                                • Jun 2003
                                • 1.1.x

I could care more about staff changes at vBulletin, but I am happy with where my current care meter hangs out at.

It isn't really anyones business, but it is silly to pretend that it is totally irrelevant. When such a high percentage of staff bail on a project (especially 'core' participants in a project), then it usually signals internal problems. Since so many people rely on vBulletin, it is natural to be concerned.

Screw staff lists. A decent PR person would advise IB to unleash a swath of updates on vb4 to bury the bad news and send reassurance to their customer base.

To all those recently departed from the team; best of luck to you all. You were each part of creating something really phenominal.
                                My Twitterings

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...