Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ihsan's Knife
    • May 2008

Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

I'm getting this every time I link to an image as my avatar. Causes?

Also, this error comes up at the top of the screen: Warning: tempnam() [function.tempnam]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File() is not within the allowed path(s): ('.:/proc/uptime:/tmp:/home:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/home:/usr/local/bin/') in [path]/includes/class_upload.php on line 275
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You have open_basedir restrictions on your server. To get uploads to work you need to create a 'tmp' subdirectory under your 'home' and chmod it to 777. Then in the Admin CP set "Upload In Safe Mode?" to 'Yes' and point the "Safe Mode Temp Directory" to that directory. If you placed the tmp directory in the right place, the path to the Safe Mode Temp Directory will be:

/home/tmp

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Safe Mode Temporary Directory

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Safe Mode Upload Enabled -> Yes

Also the php.ini setting for 'upload_tmp_dir' may be empty. It's possible you (as root) or your host will need to edit php.ini and set 'upload_tmp_dir' to point to the full path to a directory on the server that is chmod'd to 1777. You will also need to restart Apache after making this change.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ihsan's Knife
      • May 2008

I have shared hosting.
      Thanks, that fixed it.

Comment

• menj
        • Aug 2008
        • 3.8.x

I had the same issue for 4.0 and this fixed it as well. Many thanks!
        Discussion Forum

Comment

• delmarva
          • Jun 2006
          • 3.6.x

same here! Thanks
          Sam
          DelmarvaFishing.com

Comment

• maxell666
            • Mar 2010

Hello, i have similar problem. Where exactly should i create "tmp" folder? Here is my path...

CMD_FILE_MANAGER/domains/forum.mydomain.com/public_html

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...