X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xennik
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Thread title editing

After updating from 3.6.8 PL 2 to 3.6.9 users reported that the ajax editing of thread titles from forumdisplay.php did not work any longer. However, it still worked for me.

After some checking whether it could be a problem with permissions I looked into the files and compared the PL 2 ajax.php with the new one. After I edited the following code out of the ajax.php (which was a new addition in 3.6.9), the editing again worked for the users.

Code:
    if (!can_moderate($threadinfo['forumid']))
            {
                $threadman->set_info('skip_moderator_log', true);
            }
    Is this a problem with my installation only? Will it be problematic if I keep this data out of the file? Any way to fix it without removing the code?

Edit: I tried creating a thread on this forum as well - AJAX thread title changes are not recognized. So I guess it is not just a problem I am having.
    Last edited by Xennik; Sat 5 Apr '08, 5:26pm.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

I don't have any problems using the AJAX thread title editing feature on my 3.6.9 test forum. Make sure your user has the ability to edit titles.

If you are within this time limit then you can edit the thread title by editing the first post in the thread:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

Note that a value of 0 does not make it unlimited, but rather it makes it so users can never edit their thread titles. If you want it effectively unlimited then you need to set it to a huge number, like 999999999.

Otherwise admins and mods can use the AJAX editing option or the Edit Thread option from the Thread Tools menu. Regular users cannot access this option.

Comment

• Xennik
      • Feb 2007
      • 3.6.x

Yeah, it is already on something like 999999999.

But now that you say that regular users cannot use the AJAX title editing function it explains why I can edit the titles with AJAX while the users cannot. However, they used to be able to do this up until 3.6.8 PL 2, didn't they?

Edit: I forgot to mention: users can still change the thread title via editing the first post. It is just that they used to be able to use the AJAX method, too.
      Last edited by Xennik; Sat 5 Apr '08, 5:50pm.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

I just tested it. Regular users can use the AJAX thread title editor on their own threads if they have the ability to edit thread titles (see previous post).

Comment

• Xennik
          • Feb 2007
          • 3.6.x

I just tried it again - however it does not work for me.

This is what it looks like when editing with a regular user. When I edit the thread title via AJAX and then finish the editing process, the entire field turns empty. A refresh of the browser shows the old thread title. If I edit the first post in the thread however, the thread name change is accepted. If I try editing the thread title via AJAX with an administrator account or an account which has moderator rights in the specific forum, the changes are accepted. If I comment out the lines I mentioned in the first post, then AJAX changes made by the regular user account are being accepted as well.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Well it works on my test forum. Maybe that feature is being broken by a customization to your forum. You can quickly determine this by temporarily disabling your customizations. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style.

If you still have the problem then try disabling your plugins:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Plugin/Hook System

Also run a file check to look for customized files:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Comment

• Xennik
              • Feb 2007
              • 3.6.x

Disabled my plugins and created a new style - the error persists. There are also no changed files.

Edit: it does say "ajax.php File does not contain expected contents" though despite the fact I am using the one from the 3.6.9 archive.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

If you uploaded that file from a different 3.6.9 zip file then the checksum won't match even though it's default. I recommend you try reuploading all of the 3.6.9 files anyways just to be safe. That will also fix any false positives in the file check because the checksums will match again.

Comment

• Xennik
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Reuploaded all the files, the ajax.php isn't reported as having the wrong content anymore. However, the error itself still persists.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

In that case we will need to take a look. Please submit a trouble ticket with a URL and admin login to your forum:

Comment

• Xennik
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 3.6.x

I installed a test forum from scratch and receive the same error, which means that it must have something to do with the server configuration I suppose. Do you want me to fill out a ticket nevertheless as there might be more users which might have a similar setup? As said, the error does NOT appear with older versions of the ajax.php file or if I edit out the code I mentioned in the first post.

Addition: Tried it another time - AJAX thread title changing within the time limit does not work on this forum either (Firefox 2 & IE 7 tested). I even set up a new account for my thread test just to make entirely sure it is nothing with my account - but the problem with AJAX thread title changing persists on vbulletin.com, too.
                      Last edited by Xennik; Sun 6 Apr '08, 7:29am.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

Maybe it has something to do with your browser or computer. Javascript is a client side thing. Try a different computer / browser if one is available.

If you continue to have problems then please post a URL to your forum so I can test it.

Comment

• Xennik
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 3.6.x

I forwarded you the relevant data in a PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...